Author Topic: 1969 on Wed 7/20/05  (Read 3109 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1969 on Wed 7/20/05
« on: July 20, 2005, 08:02:18 AM »
A bit counter-intuitive to start with "And When I Die," but hey, it should shape up to be a fine year in Chi-Town.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 on Wed 7/20/05
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 08:03:35 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
A bit counter-intuitive to start with "And When I Die," but hey, it should shape up to be a fine year in Chi-Town.

And is it just me, or did Bob speed this up about 15%?  I know the song has numerous tempo changes, but everything seems to be going faster than normal.  Unless it's just the dolls kicking in.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 08:06:21 AM »

And is it just me, or did Bob speed this up about 15%?  I know the song has numerous tempo changes, but everything seems to be going faster than normal.  Unless it's just the dolls kicking in.

It does sound fast.  But that could be the late night -- I'm a little slow this morning.  Mike had the right idea taking the day after off...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1969 on Wed 7/20/05
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 08:10:39 AM »
VHM to "Crystal Blue Persuasion."  Even though it'd be nice to dig deeper into Tommy's catalog, this sounds just fine today.  BTW - was he critically revered or reviled during his hit-making period?  I've never seen much of an assessment of him from the crit crowd.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 08:11:28 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

It does sound fast.  But that could be the late night -- I'm a little slow this morning.  Mike had the right idea taking the day after off...

Oh, last night was Percy, right?  How'd that go?  (Or will updates go in the other thread?)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1969 on Wed 7/20/05
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 08:14:23 AM »
All Rod needs to get going is a healthy dose of the mighty Zep!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1969 on Wed 7/20/05
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 08:17:14 AM »
I'm at home today, and it's been a long time since I listened to "Whole Lotta Love" at high volume sitting between the speakers.  

Suddenly craving some serious drugs for some reason...
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
1969 on Wed 7/20/05
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 08:18:04 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
All Rod needs to get going is a healthy dose of the mighty Zep!

Wish it were that easy.

This was the finale for the show last night.  Only song they played straight.  Robert was in fine form.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 08:23:51 AM »

Oh, last night was Percy, right?  How'd that go?  (Or will updates go in the other thread?)

I doubt I'm the one to give an in depth report.  I had great seats. Robert's voice was a lot better than some people claim.  The band was tight.  But I wasn't in the proper state of mind to enjoy it.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing