Author Topic: MTV, 30 Years old  (Read 2751 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
MTV, 30 Years old
« on: August 01, 2011, 03:47:03 PM »
watch MTV's first 10 mins of life!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw6xesXLIAA

"On August 1, 1981, at 12:01 a.m., MTV: Music Television launched with the words "Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll," spoken by John Lack. Those words were immediately followed by the original MTV theme song, a crunching guitar riff written by Jonathan Elias and John Petersen, playing over a montage of the Apollo 11 moon landing. With the flag having a picture of MTVs logo on it. MTV producers Alan Goodman and Fred Seibert used this public domain footage as a conceit, associating MTV with the most famous moment in world television history.[5] Seibert said they had originally planned to use Neil Armstrong's "One small step" quote, but lawyers said Armstrong owns his name and likeness, and Armstrong had refused, so the quote was replaced with a beeping sound.

At the moment of its launch, only a few thousand people on a single cable system in northern New Jersey could see it."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:50:19 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: MTV, 30 Years old
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »
watch MTV's first hour of life!

"On August 1, 1981, at 12:01 a.m., MTV: Music Television launched with the words "Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll," spoken by John Lack. Those words were immediately followed by the original MTV theme song, a crunching guitar riff written by Jonathan Elias and John Petersen, playing over a montage of the Apollo 11 moon landing. With the flag having a picture of MTVs logo on it. MTV producers Alan Goodman and Fred Seibert used this public domain footage as a conceit, associating MTV with the most famous moment in world television history.[5] Seibert said they had originally planned to use Neil Armstrong's "One small step" quote, but lawyers said Armstrong owns his name and likeness, and Armstrong had refused, so the quote was replaced with a beeping sound.

At the moment of its launch, only a few thousand people on a single cable system in northern New Jersey could see it."

We didn't get cable in Queens until 1987 (seriously). I had friends who lived in Manhattan make videotapes of MTV for me. I had a bunch of 6-hour VHS tapes of MTV programming. Wish I still had 'em!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »

watch MTV's first hour of life!

We didn't get cable in Queens until 1987 (seriously). I had friends who lived in Manhattan make videotapes of MTV for me. I had a bunch of 6-hour VHS tapes of MTV programming. Wish I still had 'em!

Didn't get cable until 1989, when I moved out - but I do remember KTVU televising the first MTV awards with Bette Midler and Dan Ackroyd hosting.  Madonna was rolling around the ground in 40 feet of taffeta.  Hot boy toy mess!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:54:30 AM »
"In honor of MTV's 30th anniversary, the five best music videos you've never seen"
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/in-honor-of-mtvs-30th-anniversary-the-five-best-music-videos-youve-never-seen/

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »