Author Topic: 20 July 2011: it's... great guitarists  (Read 16952 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
20 July 2011: it's... great guitarists
« on: July 19, 2011, 11:48:11 AM »
in honor of Carlos Santana's B-day. Uh... OK.

I was wondering what DC's position on theme sets was in the "new 10@10 order". Now we know.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:50:21 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 20 July 2011: it's... great guitarists
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »

I was wondering what DC's position on theme sets was in the "new 10@10 order". Now we know.

I'll be curious to see how current they get with this one.  If they play White Stripes I'll plotz. 

~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 12:03:20 PM »

I'll be curious to see how current they get with this one.  If they play White Stripes I'll plotz. 

Frankly I'd much rather hear Meg and Jack than Eric.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 12:13:33 PM »

Hahahaha!  A disdain that unites the generations!  ;)  I'll be surprised if we *don't* hear White Stripes.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:18:25 PM »

Hahahaha!  A disdain that unites the generations!  ;)  I'll be surprised if we *don't* hear White Stripes.

As I've mentioned more than once, if Eric had quit around 1974, I'd be more than ok with him (ducks chair that Rod throws).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »
Fogheads are suggesting a lot of, er, OLD guys. Oh, irony!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
Fogheads are suggesting a lot of, er, OLD guys. Oh, irony!

Gotta have some Prince.  Oh, and I like Clapton.  *waves fist*

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
As I've mentioned more than once, if Eric had quit around 1974, I'd be more than ok with him (ducks chair that Rod throws).

In case you missed it, check out Clapton's work on the Bob Dylan 30th anniversary concert; 'tis quite smokin'.  I don't know if I'd throw a chair, but...
;-)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »

well, that would include 461 Ocean Boulevard so that's good (despite Willie and the Hand Jive). 

I certainly hope we get Joe Walsh.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »

In case you missed it, check out Clapton's work on the Bob Dylan 30th anniversary concert; 'tis quite smokin'.  I don't know if I'd throw a chair, but...
;-)

I've no doubt he can still smoke in a live setting; friends who've seen him in the past few years have said as much. It's his studio output that gives one pause. Partly record company/ies fault I'm sure, but still, when has he written/recorded anything really interesting? That's really why those of us who make fun of him here do so. Clapton the Guitarist and Crapton the Commercial Commodity are 2 different guys.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »

;-)

I've no doubt he can still smoke in a live setting; friends who've seen him in the past few years have said as much. It's his studio output that gives one pause. Partly record company/ies fault I'm sure, but still, when has he written/recorded anything really interesting? That's really why those of us who make fun of him here do so. Clapton the Guitarist and Crapton the Commercial Commodity are 2 different guys.

This has the makings of a great survey question – name someone who is great in concert, not so much in the studio. Or vice versa.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
AL just posted the poll-thingy on FB.  Voting for one was difficult...

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
AL just posted the poll-thingy on FB.  Voting for one was difficult...

I avoid FB apps, so I can't vote.  Plus she left out Joe Walsh.  (Glad to see her include James Honeyman-Scott.. Prob THE best concert I ever saw was being up close for a Pretenders' show with their original lineup.   JHS was just fab.)   

Quote from: swellegant
This has the makings of a great survey question – name someone who is great in concert, not so much in the studio. Or vice versa.

can't name Rush, they are perfect in both settings.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 06:20:17 PM »

This is the classic Grateful Dead dichotomy.  I actually like most of their studio albums, but many deadheads just think they suck compared to live versions.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 07:19:09 PM »

This is the classic Grateful Dead dichotomy.  I actually like most of their studio albums, but many deadheads just think they suck compared to live versions.

Geoff, I'm glad you said that. The Dead were the first band that came to my mind as well. Some of their records I like a lot and I think are well performed and recorded (Workingman's, American Beauty, Terrapin, Blues for Allah) but others are pretty bad (Shakedown St., Mars Hotel, Wake of the Flood, Go to Heaven). And their early studio stuff I tend to lump into a third category of "poorly recorded with great enthusiasm," as they were almost a different band then.
Let's get right to it.