Author Topic: 27 June 2011: it's... a "classic" from 1981  (Read 7222 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 27 June 2011: it's... a "classic" from 1981
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
of course, uber-'trina "Mag 7" won BOS the first time this aired ::)

I think I would go with Souvenir and Joan Jett.

Hold on SMOOTHLY was all over my radio back in '81.  never really liked it, although .38 Special's Fantasy Girl ain't bad.

the Santana, Styx and .38 Special are all WOSes, which is 3 too many, and of course "Mag 7" I never need to hear again ever, which is why I bailed.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 27 June 2011: it's... ??
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 11:33:46 AM »
Dang cow-orkers.  Anyway, you've done your homework, Tink.  In talking with the band on Friday, the current Foghat lead singer/guitarist said he was with Ted Nugent late 70s to mid-80s, then Humble Pie for ten years; their other current guitarist, Bryan Bassett, was with Wild Cherry in 70s, he was the one who played the famous lick in "Play That Funky Music" while their lead singer Rob did the guitar solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe1ScoePqVA.   BOC was good, but felt they were phoning-it-in, while Foghat seemed to play with a more free-spirited style.  BOC did Burnin' For You, Godzilla, Shooting Shark, Shadow of California, Make Rock Not War, a couple others, and of course (more cowbell) Don't Fear The Reaper.

No Cities on Flame or ETI? Quelle horreur!

Our local county fair has Foghat and Guess Who coming (on successive nights, not a double bill) in August. Then Cheap Trick plays the State Fair in Salem at the end of the month for a mere double sawbuck. Hoping I can catch at least two of the three. (I haven't researched it, but my gut tells me there's neither Cummings or Bachman in this edition of the Guess Who.)
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 12:16:06 PM »
Dang cow-orkers.  Anyway, you've done your homework, Tink.  In talking with the band on Friday, the current Foghat lead singer/guitarist said he was with Ted Nugent late 70s to mid-80s, then Humble Pie for ten years; their other current guitarist, Bryan Bassett, was with Wild Cherry in 70s, he was the one who played the famous lick in "Play That Funky Music" while their lead singer Rob did the guitar solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe1ScoePqVA.   BOC was good, but felt they were phoning-it-in, while Foghat seemed to play with a more free-spirited style.  BOC did Burnin' For You, Godzilla, Shooting Shark, Shadow of California, Make Rock Not War, a couple others, and of course (more cowbell) Don't Fear The Reaper.

Our local county fair has Foghat and Guess Who coming (on successive nights, not a double bill) in August. Then Cheap Trick plays the State Fair in Salem at the end of the month for a mere double sawbuck. Hoping I can catch at least two of the three. (I haven't researched it, but my gut tells me there's neither Cummings or Bachman in this edition of the Guess Who.)

listen to your gut: no Cummings or Bachman when I saw them.  It was like they were called "Can You GUESS WHO We're Supposed To Be?"
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 12:20:01 PM »
Is there a worse Santana song than "Searchin?"

Ha! there's always been a lot of hate here for "Winning", which is certainly a Moreytrina, tho" i always give credit to the original (1977) version by Russ Ballard, who wrote it.  I prefer his take.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Dang cow-orkers.  Anyway, you've done your homework, Tink.  In talking with the band on Friday, the current Foghat lead singer/guitarist said he was with Ted Nugent late 70s to mid-80s, then Humble Pie for ten years; their other current guitarist, Bryan Bassett, was with Wild Cherry in 70s, he was the one who played the famous lick in "Play That Funky Music" while their lead singer Rob did the guitar solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe1ScoePqVA.   BOC was good, but felt they were phoning-it-in, while Foghat seemed to play with a more free-spirited style.  BOC did Burnin' For You, Godzilla, Shooting Shark, Shadow of California, Make Rock Not War, a couple others, and of course (more cowbell) Don't Fear The Reaper.

listen to your gut: no Cummings or Bachman when I saw them.  It was like they were called "Can You GUESS WHO We're Supposed To Be?"

And speaking of 70s arena rockers playing venues far smaller than their fans would have believed 30 years ago:  Saw that Ted Nugent, the ol' Motor City Madman hisself, is playing the Independent next week. Not quite the bargain that those county fair circuit shows are however: a mere $55 gets you in the door.

http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/38583?__utma=1.592061077.1309221154.1309221154.1309221154.1&__utmb=1.2.10.1309221154&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1309221154.1.1.utmcsr%3Dgoogle|utmccn%3D%28organic%29|utmcmd%3Dorganic|utmctr%3Dthe+independent+sf&__utmv=-&__utmk=89259035

Whether there are enough Nuge fans still around who are willing to pony up that kind of bank is anyone's guess. It'd be fun to hear him go off on SF politics though. Or not.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 09:23:17 PM »
Is there a worse Santana song than "Searchin?"

Ha! there's always been a lot of hate here for "Winning", which is certainly a Moreytrina, tho" i always give credit to the original (1977) version by Russ Ballard, who wrote it.  I prefer his take.

I dislike "Winning" mainly because it's so derivative of Mark Knopler's playing.  On its own, it's not that bad, just bland.  On the other hand, I guess I simply find "Searchin'" grating to my ears.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!