Author Topic: 17 June 2011: Father's Day  (Read 12914 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
17 June 2011: Father's Day
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »
AL posts on FB:

"Hey 10@10'rs. I'm playing around w/a different idea for Father's Day 10@10 next week. 'Father Knows Best' -- bands/songs your dad introduced you to...as introduced by YOU. I'd record listeners introducing each of the tunes. What do you think?"

Cute, no?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 17 June 2011: Father's Day
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »
AL posts on FB:

"Hey 10@10'rs. I'm playing around w/a different idea for Father's Day 10@10 next week. 'Father Knows Best' -- bands/songs your dad introduced you to...as introduced by YOU. I'd record listeners introducing each of the tunes. What do you think?"

Cute, no?

Hmmm, bands my dad introduced me to.  That'd be a pretty short list, but it has possibilities.   The Limeliters...the Smothers Bros... or maybe Tom Lehrer.  It goes downhill from there.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
AL posts on FB:

Cute, no?

Hmmm, bands my dad introduced me to.  That'd be a pretty short list, but it has possibilities.   The Limeliters...the Smothers Bros... or maybe Tom Lehrer.  It goes downhill from there.

Yeah, I think AL is thinking "Gen-Xers whose boomer parents turned 'em on to the Beatles and LedZep" but she's getting boomers whose parents turned 'em on to Glenn Miller instead. LOL!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:55:16 PM »
Hate to say this, but I have a really bad feeling about how this will turn out. Sounds like a set tailor-made for the Sandra Ramirezes of the world.

Personally, if I were a truthspeaker, I could say the Beatles or Three Dog Night. But he always kind of had it on the background... I really can't say he INTRODUCED me to anybody.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
Hate to say this, but I have a really bad feeling about how this will turn out. Sounds like a set tailor-made for the Sandra Ramirezes of the world.

Agreed. Sadly, nobody's dad turned them on to Captain Beefheart or the Jam or the Pixies.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:22:50 PM »
We had a lot of Broadway Musicals, some cowboy folk songs on reel-to-reel, and perhaps some Spike Jones?  45's we had included Puff the Magic Dragon, and Little Drummer Boy.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »

Agreed. Sadly, nobody's dad turned them on to Captain Beefheart or the Jam or the Pixies.

And my kids don't listen to KFOG, so they wouldn't be contributing!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 08:27:40 PM »

This mama's working on it! (Well, the last 2 anyway)   8)

This would've been a cool Mother's Day idea.  My mom was a huge Donna Summer fan!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 09:47:07 AM »
I will be requesting the Kingston Trio, about as hip as my dad ever got...  Well, he probably had some Rat Pack records too, ...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 09:53:57 AM »
I totally have Puff the magic dragon memories. Beatles for sure. Had the Hey Jude 45 and first album was Magical Mystery Tour. My Dad took me to the Northpoint theater to see Tommy when it came out. Dolby sound!
Sharks bleed teal.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
AL posts on FB:
Cute, no?
Yeah, I think AL is thinking "Gen-Xers whose boomer parents turned 'em on to the Beatles and LedZep" but she's getting boomers whose parents turned 'em on to Glenn Miller instead. LOL!
Like many of you about my age, my dad's records consisted of Herb Alpert, Smothers Brothers, Alan Sherman, Bill Cosby, some country, lots of folk, jazz, big band and Broadway cast albums.  The only rock albums I recall were an Elvis greatest hits and Bill Haley & the Comets.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »
So, is AL sticking with the "my dad introduced me to..." concept?

and do we get TWO theme sets next week? Friday is the Pride Set, obviously, but Tues is the first day of Summer.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 01:11:18 PM »

and do we get TWO theme sets next week? Friday is the Pride Set, obviously, but Tues is the first day of Summer.

My expectations are really low, so naturally we'll be blown away by a Sandra Ramirez sonnet about Siouxsie & The Banshees.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »

My expectations are really low, so naturally we'll be blown away by a Sandra Ramirez sonnet about Siouxsie & The Banshees.

well, you were close: Meredith Santiago is one of the participants. Hope her dad turned on on to Tito Puente.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 10:06:35 AM »
awww... AL's dad was an Army deejay!

And Caroline's dad loved "Sundown". in a room where ya do what ya don't confess. Unless yer name is Wiener.