Author Topic: 28 Feb 2011: it's... AL's post-Oscar party  (Read 9242 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Feb 2011: it's... AL's post-Oscar party
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 10:33:03 AM »
"Arthur" - can't believe they're remaking it.  Chris Cross rawks!  ;)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 10:35:20 AM »
School of Acoustic Rock!  Substitute is a fine song, but such a frequent flyer on Classic Rawk radio that, er, a substituion would not have been unwelcome.

This clip from Arthur, where John Geilgud tells a sotted Dudley Moore that, incidentally, "I love you," gets another BOS...

Theme from Arthur follows ... caught between Newark the moon and New York City
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:39:00 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »
Blue Velvet - what a freaky film!  But nice to hear Mr Orbison "In Dreams"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »

They are?  I'm not surprised, but yeah, too bad..  Great story..

If You Were Here
by the TT: What a delicious piece of synth candy!  I wonder if there' s a remix out there, b/c the cut is maybe three minutes long and I always want it to go on forever.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
In the back announce, AL gives us the theme from The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.  Did you see Eli Wallach last night on the Oscar snorecast? 
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 10:49:51 AM »
"Arthur" - can't believe they're remaking it.  Chris Cross rawks!  ;)
They are?  I'm not surprised, but yeah, too bad..  Great story..
Yes, with Mr Katy Perry, Russell Brand, as Arthur and Helen Mirren (yea) as his nanny, sorta the Hobson role. Due April 8.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/movies/29arthur.html

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7tQQ56wEJ0
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:00:59 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 11:27:35 AM »
First song was by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole, a Hawaiian slack guitar artist who did Somewhere Over the Rainbow -- he threw in some Wonderful World lyrics in the middle section. It was very nice.

One of my HFHs -- it irritates the crap out of me when people get the lyrics wrong to a well-known song... to the point where they are making lines that are supposed to rhyme... NOT rhyme! I know he's dead and people like it because it was on some TV show as well as in a movie but sheesh. Fingernails-on-a-blackboard for me.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »
First song was by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole, a Hawaiian slack guitar artist who did Somewhere Over the Rainbow -- he threw in some Wonderful World lyrics in the middle section. It was very nice.

One of my HFHs -- it irritates the crap out of me when people get the lyrics wrong to a well-known song... to the point where they are making lines that are supposed to rhyme... NOT rhyme! I know he's dead and people like it because it was on some TV show as well as in a movie but sheesh. Fingernails-on-a-blackboard for me.

yes, I think you've mentioned before that you don't like Hawaiian music. 

I can't recall hearing it at any other time besides today and I liked it right off.   

man, i just googled the guy and he was HUUUUUGE.  An all time board BUST-OUT, for sure!

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »

I can't recall hearing it at any other time besides today and I liked it right off.   

it's a (you should pardon the expression) BIG "Acoustic Sunrise" fave.  And it's got nothing to do with Hawaiian.  Ever hear Kenny Rankin's cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? Same deal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »

it's a (you should pardon the expression) BIG "Acoustic Sunrise" fave.  And it's got nothing to do with Hawaiian.  Ever hear Kenny Rankin's cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? Same deal.

I stand corrected.  What you said was "There really is no good version of this silly tune" in re: Mele Kalikimakka specifically, not Hawaiian music in general.

Not sure if I've heard if I've heard that cover of WMGGW, but if it gets played on Acoustic Sunrise, no wonder: I hardly ever listen to that show.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 05:06:55 PM »
They are?  I'm not surprised, but yeah, too bad..  Great story..
Yes, with Mr Katy Perry, Russell Brand, as Arthur and Helen Mirren (yea) as his nanny, sorta the Hobson role. Due April 8.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/movies/29arthur.html

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7tQQ56wEJ0

TANC: TCM is showing the orig Arthur at this moment.

(Movie: Wizard of Oz)
 1.  Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (IZ)- Somewhere Over The Rainbow (BOS!)
(Movie: Toy Story)
 2.  Randy Newman- You've Got A Friend in Me
(Movie: The Graduate)
 3.  Simon & Garfunkel- Mrs. Robinson
(Movie: The Big Lebowski)
 4.  Kenny Rogers & the First Edition- Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)
(Movie: Footloose)
 5.  Kenny Loggins- Footloose
(Movie: Flashdance)
 6.  Michael Sembello- Maniac (Flashdance)
(Movie: School of Rock)
 7.  The Who- Substitute
(Movie: Arthur)
 8.  Christopher Cross- Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)
(Movie: Blue Velvet)
 9.  Roy Orbison- In Dreams
(Movie: Sixteen Candles)
10. Thompson Twins- If You Were Here
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:09:17 PM by RGMike »

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 08:05:16 PM »
Footloose won an Oscar? Are all these oscar winners, or just associated with the movies?

Just associated with the movies, although maybe Randy Newman won for that song.

Nope, Mr. Newman has only won twice, once for Ragtime years ago, and last night. But he's had something like 20 nominations, so he was due. Talk about your lousy batting average though. He and Susan Lucci should talk.

Just be glad he didn't drop any F bombs. The one time I've seen him live, he swore like a truck driver.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Footloose won an Oscar? Are all these oscar winners, or just associated with the movies?

Just associated with the movies, although maybe Randy Newman won for that song.

Nope, Mr. Newman has only won twice, once for Ragtime years ago, and last night. But he's had something like 20 nominations, so he was due. Talk about your lousy batting average though. He and Susan Lucci should talk.

Just be glad he didn't drop any F bombs. The one time I've seen him live, he swore like a truck driver.

Ragtime? No. He wrote songs for it but they were never used (some ended up on Little Criminals). He won his first for "If I Didn't Have You" (from Monsters Inc).  This year's was his 2nd. But yeah, 20 nominations. His score for The Natural lost in '84, but hey, they play it every time one of the Rangers hits a homer at the ballpark in Arlington. That's a lot of residuals.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:14:21 PM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 10:08:21 PM »

BOS for that!

I know this is a little mellow for this club, but the significance of this arrangement and performance would be hard to overstate.  The late Iz had the voice of an angel, and the inclusion of Wonderful World in the middle is genius, and has been copied by a jillion artists, and been done in a million bars, and yes, our band has done it in churches and hospitals.  It even touches my students, who are usually into stuff I can't even fathom.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 10:17:11 PM »

BOS for that!

I know this is a little mellow for this club, but the significance of this arrangement and performance would be hard to overstate.  The late Iz had the voice of an angel, and the inclusion of Wonderful World in the middle is genius, and has been copied by a jillion artists, and been done in a million bars, and yes, our band has done it in churches and hospitals.  It even touches my students, who are usually into stuff I can't even fathom.

well said.   I must correct myself: he's not a slack guitar player ... da huge man, he play da ukulele.
~CPL593H~