Author Topic: 7 Jan 2011: it's... 1978  (Read 10174 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Jan 2011: it's... 1978
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2011, 10:57:48 AM »
BOSes to GR, Stones, Blondie & Nick Lowe
Must admit some of the other songs are NTM and worth further investigation.  School me!
Mr Seger has some great songs that aren't overplayed radio chestnuts -- "Til it Shines" is but one of 'em. The Outlaws are kickin' country rock; the Eagles without the sap.
I've seen both Seger and The Outlaws over the years, their shows are straight ahead music, simple stage setup with no special lighting, no flashpots, no special effects, no costumes/no costume changes.  You want that with the Stones, Pink Floyd, etc, but sometimes its nice to have the focus on just the tunes.  BTW, I have a nice framed photo of Springsteen and Seger together on stage, signed by both, opening night of Bruce's River tour, Oct 1980, Ann Arbor, MI, won it from a radio station then.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2011, 11:04:07 AM »
Love how he mispronounces Arista as "a-RIS-tuh"

I've heard it that way many times over the years.  But the correct is "AIR-is-tuh," right?

yup. at least in '78 they were still (relatively) new.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »
Must admit some of the other songs are NTM and worth further investigation.  School me!
Mr Seger has some great songs that aren't overplayed radio chestnuts -- "Til it Shines" is but one of 'em. The Outlaws are kickin' country rock; the Eagles without the sap.
I've seen both Seger and The Outlaws over the years, their shows are straight ahead music, simple stage setup with no special lighting, no flashpots, no special effects, no costumes/no costume changes.  You want that with the Stones, Pink Floyd, etc, but sometimes its nice to have the focus on just the tunes.  BTW, I have a nice framed photo of Springsteen and Seger together on stage, signed by both, opening night of Bruce's River tour, Oct 1980, Ann Arbor, MI, won it from a radio station then.

Thanks, guys.  I actually would like to check out ELO - I don't have any of their music in my collection.  What's a good starter album to get?

Cool radio prize!  The only thing I've ever won on the radio were Eurythmics tickets from Live 105 in 1989.  They played the Cow Palace.  Awesome show!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I actually would like to check out ELO - I don't have any of their music in my collection.  What's a good starter album to get?
They went thru a couple different phases, I like their middle period, the albums Face The Music and A New World Record:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Light_Orchestra
In concert they were known for their elaborate flying saucer stage sets with lasers, check out some youtube vids.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:49:22 PM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 12:04:17 PM »
oops! AL just posted that the Outlaws tune was from '75 not '78 (she had it scribbled in her "suggestion book" and couldn't read her own writing). mshray woulda caught that error. Me, I was just thrilled to be hearing the song, I guess.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I actually would like to check out ELO - I don't have any of their music in my collection.  What's a good starter album to get?
They went thru a couple different phases, I like their middle period, the albums Face The Music and A New World Record:
In concert they were known for their elaborate flying saucer stage sets, check out some youtube vids.

Out Of The Blue is good, too.  I have that in my itunes and I think I got it from the SF Public Library -- is that legal?  Was I supposed to delete it after the two-week loan period?

SFPL's holdings for author "Electric Light Orchestra"
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:17:10 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 12:16:21 PM »
oops! AL just posted that the Outlaws tune was from '75 not '78 (she had it scribbled in her "suggestion book" and couldn't read her own writing). mshray woulda caught that error. Me, I was just thrilled to be hearing the song, I guess.

There goes another 10 at 10 set
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
Whatever happened to the resident 10@10 ELO expert, Rastrelnikov?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »

he went the way of Beej. Razsty was also our resident Natalie Merchant hater -- LOL!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »

he went the way of Beej. Razsty was also our resident Natalie Merchant hater -- LOL!

One of my favorite Morey moments occurred when Razsty had a birthday, and Dave led off a 1981 set with arguably ELO's worst song. Of course, on my birthday Dave led off with "Walking On Sunshine".

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »
In concert they were known for their elaborate flying saucer stage sets, check out some youtube vids.

Out Of The Blue is good, too.  I have that in my itunes and I think I got it from the SF Public Library -- is that legal?  Was I supposed to delete it after the two-week loan period?

I think I'll go for the Essential ELO album.  I love checking out, then downloading CDs I've borrowed from the library.  I'll have wait 'til I get my laptop fixed.  I think my kid shoved a Post-It in the CD drive when I wasn't looking.  I'm tempted to take it apart myself, but fear disasterous results!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »

I think I'll go for the Essential ELO album.  I love checking out, then downloading CDs I've borrowed from the library.  I'll have wait 'til I get my laptop fixed.  I think my kid shoved a Post-It in the CD drive when I wasn't looking.  I'm tempted to take it apart myself, but fear disasterous results!

bad news: SFPL says both copies of Essential are "Lost"

good news: the Flashback CD has tons of stuff:  

Contents    disc I. 10538 overture -- Showdown -- Ma-ma-ma Belle -- Mr. Radio -- Roll over Beethoven -- Mama -- One summer dream -- Illusions in G major -- Strange magic -- Eldorado overture -- Can't get it out of my head -- Eldorado -- Eldorado finale -- Do ya -- Mister Kingdom -- Grieg's piano concerto in A minor --
   disc 2. Tightrope -- Evil woman -- Livin' thing -- Mr. Blue sky -- Mission -- Turn to stone -- Telephone line -- Rockaria! -- Starlight -- It's over -- The whale -- Sweet talkin' woman -- Big wheels -- Shangri-La -- Nightrider -- Tears in your life --
   disc 3. Don't bring me down -- The t diary of Horace Wimp -- Twilight -- Secret messages -- Take me on and on -- Shine a little love -- Rock and roll is king -- Last train to London -- Confusion -- Getting to the point -- Hold on tight -- So serious -- Calling America -- Four little diamonds -- Great balls of fire (live) -- Xanadu -- Indian Queen -- Love changes all -- After all -- Helpless -- Who's that?
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »

I think I'll go for the Essential ELO album.  I love checking out, then downloading CDs I've borrowed from the library.  I'll have wait 'til I get my laptop fixed.  I think my kid shoved a Post-It in the CD drive when I wasn't looking.  I'm tempted to take it apart myself, but fear disasterous results!

bad news: SFPL says both copies of Essential are "Lost"

good news: the Flashback CD has tons of stuff:  

Contents    disc I. 10538 overture -- Showdown -- Ma-ma-ma Belle -- Mr. Radio -- Roll over Beethoven -- Mama -- One summer dream -- Illusions in G major -- Strange magic -- Eldorado overture -- Can't get it out of my head -- Eldorado -- Eldorado finale -- Do ya -- Mister Kingdom -- Grieg's piano concerto in A minor --
   disc 2. Tightrope -- Evil woman -- Livin' thing -- Mr. Blue sky -- Mission -- Turn to stone -- Telephone line -- Rockaria! -- Starlight -- It's over -- The whale -- Sweet talkin' woman -- Big wheels -- Shangri-La -- Nightrider -- Tears in your life --
   disc 3. Don't bring me down -- The t diary of Horace Wimp -- Twilight -- Secret messages -- Take me on and on -- Shine a little love -- Rock and roll is king -- Last train to London -- Confusion -- Getting to the point -- Hold on tight -- So serious -- Calling America -- Four little diamonds -- Great balls of fire (live) -- Xanadu -- Indian Queen -- Love changes all -- After all -- Helpless -- Who's that?

Thanks, TC!  I'll be requesting it on SFPL.org as soon as I get my computer fixed.  Or I should say, my son will be requesting it.  No late fees on kids accounts!   ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2011, 06:55:21 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I actually would like to check out ELO - I don't have any of their music in my collection.  What's a good starter album to get?

I have misgivings about the sole ELO CD I have, The Essential Electric Light Orchestra: it omits "Showdown," "All Over the World" and "I'm Alive" but includes their annoying "Roll Over Beethoven."  It covers all the other bases, including my favorites "Evil Woman" and the sadly forgotten "Shine a Little Love."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »

I have misgivings about the sole ELO CD I have, The Essential Electric Light Orchestra: it omits "Showdown," "All Over the World" and "I'm Alive" but includes their annoying "Roll Over Beethoven."  It covers all the other bases, including my favorites "Evil Woman" and the sadly forgotten "Shine a Little Love."

"Shine a Little Love" is from Discovery, which one wag retitled Disco? VERY!