Author Topic: RIP Mike Edwards, 62, ex-ELO cellist  (Read 1544 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
RIP Mike Edwards, 62, ex-ELO cellist
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:36:23 AM »
Former ELO cellist Mike Edwards, 62, was killed when the van he was driving crashed into a 1300 lb haybale that had rolled down hill onto the road. (What the hay?! That's the last straw!).  I remember in a '70s 'American Top 40' show, Casey told story of ELO cellist who, during concerts, would throw his cello into air, but one time he missed catching it, so it smashed into pieces, but the audience cheered thinking it was an intentional part of the act. After that he always had a spare cello on hand (there's always room for cello).
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/09/06/international/i072338D44.DTL&tsp=1

In this video of the Aug. 17, 1973 "The Midnight Special" TV show, the band is introduced by Richard Pryor and performs their rendition of "Roll Over Beethoven."  Edwards is the cellist with a black hood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLNR4xfh1Qc

Though not evidenced in this video, Edwards' cello-playing antics on stage included using a fruit, such as orange or banana, to pluck the cello strings. He was also known for his fanciful costumes, including a tuxedo with long tails and various hats.
The albums ELO II, On the Third Day, The Night The Light Went On (In Long Beach), and Eldorado bear Mr. Edwards' signature on cello strings.
Now, go dig out their LPs from storage and send up a silent tribute to cellist Mike Edwards.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:01:43 AM by Wayback »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Mike Edwards, 62, ex-ELO cellist
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »
Former ELO cellist Mike Edwards, 62, was killed when the van he was driving crashed into a 1300 lb haybale that had rolled down hill onto the road. (What the hay?! That's the last straw!).  I remember in a '70s 'American Top 40' show, Casey told story of ELO cellist who, during concerts, would throw his cello into air, but one time he missed catching it, so it smashed into pieces, but the audience cheered thinking it was an intentional part of the act. After that he always had a spare cello on hand (there's always room for cello).

I remember that AT40 story too!  Love your punniness today.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Mike Edwards, 62, ex-ELO cellist
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
Just mentioned this to my wife, who said she thought she might have seen him play when she was interning in Devon a few years ago. I found a pic on the web, and sure enough, she did. Tragic thing--he was to have played a concert in Totnes Saturday night.
Let's get right to it.