Author Topic: "Sentences I Can't Parse," for $200, Alex  (Read 7201 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
"Sentences I Can't Parse," for $200, Alex
« on: January 27, 2005, 07:30:05 AM »
From a CNN article about Bush's Iraq press conference:

He said that if he had told the reporters in the room a few years before that the Iraqi people would be voting, "you would look at me like some of you still look at me, with a kind of blank expression."

*shakes head*

*reads Billboard instead*
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 07:46:50 AM »
Hey Gaz --

MTV's website has a piece about Top Ten lists that might interest you:

http://www.mtv.com/bands/m/music_geek/top10s_012405/
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 08:00:32 AM »
This was a very interesting piece.  Was amused by this quote:

Those 1,400 or so people (of which I'm one) cast votes for our favorite albums and singles of the year, awarding points that are tabulated by some poor sap who must really want to get in good with the Voice music staff.

About 10 or so such saps, actually.

Amazed that MTV took interest in this article.  But it does nicely summarize the perceived drawbacks of the poll.  HOWEVER -- I can categorically state that Loretta Lynn did not win the Top Album nod.  I won't divulge the winners, but I will say that (a) the #1 album did not appear on my list at all (I only liked one of the four songs I heard on it); and (b) the top single came from my #1 album, but it wasn't the song I picked as my #1 single.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 08:43:12 AM »
I'm going to guess that the #1 album was Kanye West -- middle-aged white music writers just can't resist trying to look hip.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: "Sentences I Can't Parse," for $200, Alex
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 08:44:28 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
From a CNN article about Bush's Iraq press conference:

He said that if he had told the reporters in the room a few years before that the Iraqi people would be voting, "you would look at me like some of you still look at me, with a kind of blank expression."

*shakes head*

*reads Billboard instead*

The use of 'before' creates confusion as to whether it's functioning as an adverb or preposition.  Change 'before' to 'earlier' and it reads a lot better:

He said that if he had told the reporters in the room a few years earlier that the Iraqi people would be voting, "you would look at me like some of you still look at me, with a kind of blank expression.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010