Author Topic: 30 July 2010: Friday's Alive!  (Read 6946 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 30 July 2010: Friday's Alive!
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 02:33:30 PM »
7/30/10-Friday's Alive!! (Part uno) Time to Kick Out The Jams !

1.  Cheap Trick live @ Buddakan (sic) - I Want You To Want Me
 2.  James Brown live @ The Apollo- I'll Go Crazy
 3.  Allman Bros live @ Fillmore East- Statesboro Blues
 4.  Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band- Ramblin' Man
 5.  J. Geils Band- Musta Got Lost (BOS!!)
 6.  Band of Gypsys-Hendrix/Miles- Changes
 7.  MC5- Kick Out The Jams
 8.  The Who live @ Leeds- Shakin' All Over
 9.  Talking Heads- Burning Down The House
10. 801 LIVE-Manzanera/Eno & Co- Baby's On Fire
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »
whoo hoo -- Baby's On Fire gets the BOS!

I believe this is from the band 801!  with Phil Manzanera!
Confirmed. You're good.
thanks!  it gets some itunes rotation around these parts.  If you're an Eno fan, you should have this.  
Also good if one's a Manzanera fan!  Didn't they play their version of TNK on the radio? (KSAN?)

you mean the old KSAN? or the new version, which is 107.7 The Bone?  not sure about either one, but you are right about Phil Manzanera on this.  He's good!
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
whoo hoo -- Baby's On Fire gets the BOS!

I believe this is from the band 801!  with Phil Manzanera!

It occurred to me she might pull out something from this album. She played a track off Eno's Taking Tiger Mountain... once before and we had a lengthy e-mail thread about Eno/801, Roxy etc. Girl does love her some Eno. And I can confirm that the 801 Live record is a superb document--that band was just amazing. Hard to believe they only played 3 live gigs. Ever.  I have fond memories of sitting in the cab of a friend's 57 Ford pickup, baked to the gills, listening to this cranked to 10 on his monster car stereo.

Very glad she didn't play the obvious card and toss some Frampton Comes Too Fast in there. The CT was enough (and I like them).

Ah, this Geils track--haven't heard this in a few years. Good ol' Woofa Goofa with the green teeth!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:21:00 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 10:20:36 PM »
VHM Seger, "RGM"

For as much as I bitch about "Old Time Rock & Roll" and how Seger's music was co-opted by Ford and Kid Rock, I hafta say, this is one fantastic single.  "Ain't good lookin', but'cha know I ain't shy" is one of my favorite lines ever.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 10:23:29 PM »
5.  J. Geils Band- Musta Got Lost (BOS!!)

OCD Copy Editor Asks: Is this how it was credited live?  I hope so; it always bugged me that the charting studio version was titled "Must of Got Lost" - that's one of my language pet peeves.  (Feel free to move this to the Copy Edit 101 thread.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 11:04:39 PM »
VHM Seger, "RGM"

For as much as I bitch about "Old Time Rock & Roll" and how Seger's music was co-opted by Ford and Kid Rock, I hafta say, this is one fantastic single.  "Ain't good lookin', but'cha know I ain't shy" is one of my favorite lines ever.

I agree!  fantastic song and it gets my second place BOS vote after the 801 cut.  Seger released the orig studio single in 1969, right?  it has a great rollicking soul feel and you point of the all time great lyrics. 

Little Steven once played RGM on his Undergrounbd Garage show, and after hearing it in that context, with all that great garage and psych-y stuff, it became my favorite Bob Seger song.
~CPL593H~