Author Topic: Themes like Old Times  (Read 4423 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Themes like Old Times
« on: March 29, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »
April is a big Theme Set month: Tax Day on the 15th, followed by Earth Day a week later. I noticed on the Drive's site that Bob will be doing both a Crapton birthday set tomorrow and a "Fools" set on Thursday -- wonder if AL will do either of those. I always dug the "Fool" set and wondered why Dave let it fall by the wayside after doing it a couple years in a row.

Friday is Good Friday dunno what AL could do for that -- covers?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Themes like Old Times
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:44:59 AM »
April is a big Theme Set month: Tax Day on the 15th, followed by Earth Day a week later. I noticed on the Drive's site that Bob will be doing both a Crapton birthday set tomorrow and a "Fools" set on Thursday -- wonder if AL will do either of those. I always dug the "Fool" set and wondered why Dave let it fall by the wayside after doing it a couple years in a row.

Friday is Good Friday dunno what AL could do for that -- covers?

Possibly "Good" songs and "Friday" songs? I'm not sure... I think a religious-themed set would be out of the question.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:34:20 AM »
Good Lovin' - Grateful Dead, Good Vibrations - Beach Boys, Good Lovin' Gone Bad - Bad Co., Good Girls Don't - The Knack, Good Times - Chic, Good Luck Charm - Elvis, Good Golly Miss Molly - Little Richard, Get On the Good Foot - James Brown, Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp, Goodbye Yellow Brick Rd - Elton.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 09:54:05 AM »

Possibly "Good" songs and "Friday" songs? I'm not sure... I think a religious-themed set would be out of the question.

I would love a "Jesus Rock" set, actually, since most of it would be from the '70s.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:08:15 AM »

I would love a "Jesus Rock" set, actually, since most of it would be from the '70s.

How about a set of comeback songs?

Bobby Darin, "If I Were a Carpenter"
Cher, "I Found Someone" or "Believe"
Santana, "Smooth" (sorry)
Elvis, "If I Can Dream"
Ben E. King, "Supernatural Thing"
Jackie Wilson, "Whispers (Gettin' Louder)"
James Brown, "Living in America"
Aretha Franklin, "Freeway of Love" (or "Jump to It," I suppose)
Frankie Valli, "My Eyes Adored You"
Gary U.S. Bonds, "This Little Girl"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:44:00 AM »

She could just play the soundtrack to "Jesus Christ Superstar", which would be awesome.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:07:11 AM »
Good Lovin' - Grateful Dead, Good Vibrations - Beach Boys, Good Lovin' Gone Bad - Bad Co., Good Girls Don't - The Knack, Good Times - Chic, Good Luck Charm - Elvis, Good Golly Miss Molly - Little Richard, Get On the Good Foot - James Brown, Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp, Goodbye Yellow Brick Rd - Elton.

pretty nice.   How about some songs about fish --- since Catholics eat fish on Fridays during Lent.  ;)
I can think of only a couple, along w songs by Fish and Phish.  Maybe throw some "Lamb" songs in there, too.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:17:44 AM »

pretty nice.   How about some songs about fish --- since Catholics eat fish on Fridays during Lent.  ;)
I can think of only a couple, along w songs by Fish and Phish.  Maybe throw some "Lamb" songs in there, too.

Don't forget Reel Big Fish and Fishbone!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 08:27:45 AM »

We just heard Belly of the Whale (although I guess technically that's a mammal, not a fish). And there's Fisherman's Blues, and I think Primus does a few songs about fish and fishing.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 09:01:39 AM »

pretty nice.   How about some songs about fish --- since Catholics eat fish on Fridays during Lent.  ;)
I can think of only a couple, along w songs by Fish and Phish.  Maybe throw some "Lamb" songs in there, too.

We just heard Belly of the Whale (although I guess technically that's a mammal, not a fish). And there's Fisherman's Blues, and I think Primus does a few songs about fish and fishing.

I saw Les Claypool as a guest on a fishing show once (flyfishing some river).  Apparently, he has a whole album of fishing songs, wierd bastard.

We could add --
The Tubes, SuSuSushi (shudder)

Not really coming up with anything else.

ETA:  From You Can Tune a Piano but You Can't Tune a Fish, REO Speedwagon, "The Unidentified Flying Tuna Trot".
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:03:47 AM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:17:16 AM »

pretty nice.   How about some songs about fish --- since Catholics eat fish on Fridays during Lent.  ;)
I can think of only a couple, along w songs by Fish and Phish.  Maybe throw some "Lamb" songs in there, too.

I saw Les Claypool as a guest on a fishing show once (flyfishing some river).  Apparently, he has a whole album of fishing songs, wierd bastard.

We could add --
The Tubes, SuSuSushi (shudder)

Not really coming up with anything else.

ETA:  From You Can Tune a Piano but You Can't Tune a Fish, REO Speedwagon, "The Unidentified Flying Tuna Trot".

I'd add Joe Walsh's Indian Summer b/c of these lyrics:

Sometimes I'm still at the fishing hole

And you never needed bait where we used to go
Just a safety pin hook on a bamboo pole
Take the big ones home; let the little ones go (far away)

~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:19:34 AM »
Steely Dan, "Throw Back the Little Ones"?

BTW, Jefferson Airplane, in their early '70s nadir, had a pair of songs called "Son of Jesus" and "Easter?"  I wouldn't recommend them for a theme set this week, though - they're bitter.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”