Author Topic: Friday June 3 - presumably not 1967 (1970 instead)  (Read 33130 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: microphone swinger
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2005, 08:58:14 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "RGMike"
the question is whether a Mamas & Papas clip from 1966 will be considered worth selling (demographically speaking) as opposed to, say, a Cure clip from 1989.

Hard to believe you'd put the Cure on a historical pedestal of equal stature to the Mamas and Papas!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It won't be long before they are on such a pedestal: I expect the Cure to be R&R HOF honorees in the next 4-5 years.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: microphone swinger
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2005, 09:17:08 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
the question is whether a Mamas & Papas clip from 1966 will be considered worth selling (demographically speaking) as opposed to, say, a Cure clip from 1989.
Hard to believe you'd put the Cure on a historical pedestal of equal stature to the Mamas and Papas! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
It won't be long before they are on such a pedestal: I expect the Cure to be R&R HOF honorees in the next 4-5 years.
please forgive me, but my gullibility index forces me to ask, "are you serious?" :lol:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Friday June 3 - presumably not 1967 (1970 instead)
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2005, 09:23:21 AM »
Hard to believe you'd put the Cure on a historical pedestal of equal stature to the Mamas and Papas!

please forgive me, but my gullibility index forces me to ask, "are you serious?"

Sorry, boys- but I'm with Gaz on this one. Whether you like The Cure or not is irrelevant. They made an impact on culture & music.
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2005, 09:29:46 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"

please forgive me, but my gullibility index forces me to ask, "are you serious?"

Sorry, boys- but I'm with Gaz on this one. Whether you like The Cure or not is irrelevant. They made an impact on culture & music.

besides, Robert Smith saved the world from Mecha-Streisand!

Bah-bu-rah, Bah-bu-rah...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2005, 09:31:55 AM »
besides, Robert Smith saved the world from Mecha-Streisand!

Bah-bu-rah, Bah-bu-rah...

Stan: Disintegration is the greatest album ever!
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
no Cure for my gullibility
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2005, 09:58:50 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"

Well, you'll have to educate me I guess; all I ever heard out of the Cure was goth posing, but I have very little actual exposure, so if you young folk say so, it must be true!  Just don't equate them to the Mamas and Papas! :lol:  :lol:

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: no Cure for my gullibility
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2005, 10:29:22 AM »
Just don't equate them to the Mamas and Papas! :lol:  :lol:

You're right Geoff, but only because that would be a terrible disservice to The Cure.

Let's see, the Mama & Papas lasted for 5 years, and their best album was their debut, followed by a couple of also pretty good albums, and then 3 mediocre ones.  They had good chart succes for 3 years and are credited with the creation of 'sunshine pop'.  You will have to help out on this, but even in their heyday, did they have miliions of devoted fans who thought they were the best band ever?

The Cure have lasted for 25 years, 20 albums, with no real clunkers among them (at least not by the AMG ratings, I certainly haven't listened to them all) and at least one 4-star album in the 70's, 80's & 90's.  They had one Top 10 and a couple other chart hits, but are Alt radio gods.  They are credited with the creation of 'goth rock'.  They do have literally millions of fans who believe they are the best band ever.

I'd say each band has had a comparable import in influencing the development of their respective subgenres.

You are completely entitled to your preferences, but the Mamas & Papas were a relative flash-in-the-pan compared to the Cure, and Top 10 chart success notwithstanding, the Cure have been far more popular for a far longer period of time.

ETA:  And one of the top 5 concerts I have seen in my own life, probably Top 2.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: no Cure for my gullibility
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2005, 11:10:21 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Just don't equate them to the Mamas and Papas! :lol:  :lol:

You're right Geoff, but only because that would be a terrible disservice to The Cure.

Let's see, the Mama & Papas lasted for 5 years, and their best album was their debut, followed by a couple of also pretty good albums, and then 3 mediocre ones.  They had good chart succes for 3 years and are credited with the creation of 'sunshine pop'.  You will have to help out on this, but even in their heyday, did they have miliions of devoted fans who thought they were the best band ever?

The Cure have lasted for 25 years, 20 albums, with no real clunkers among them (at least not by the AMG ratings, I certainly haven't listened to them all) and at least one 4-star album in the 70's, 80's & 90's.  They had one Top 10 and a couple other chart hits, but are Alt radio gods.  They are credited with the creation of 'goth rock'.  They do have literally millions of fans who believe they are the best band ever.

I'd say each band has had a comparable import in influencing the development of their respective subgenres.

You are completely entitled to your preferences, but the Mamas & Papas were a relative flash-in-the-pan compared to the Cure, and Top 10 chart success notwithstanding, the Cure have been far more popular for a far longer period of time.

ETA:  And one of the top 5 concerts I have seen in my own life, probably Top 2.

I guess from that point of view, since the Cure lasted longer than the Beatles, etc...

Clearly this is a matter of opinion, but please try not to denigrate something that was so beautiful (their singing and John's songwriting craft) by calling them a flash-in-the-pan.  The Mamas and Papas only lasted for about three years, and in the words of Denny in the documentary, "It was over before it started."  They existed, they were beautiful, and they were gone.  The music holds up, the harmonies are still lush.  [Geoff steps down from soapbox]