Author Topic: 1975 on Thurs 5/26/05  (Read 6949 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« on: May 26, 2005, 07:45:49 AM »
Looks like we're not blocked today!

BTW here's what we missed yesterday -- 10 by Styx:

1. Styx  -  Too Much Time on My Hands
  2. Styx  -  Renegade
  3. Styx  -  Suite Madame Blue
  4. Styx  -  Find the Cost/Can't Find My Way Home
  5. Styx  -  Fooling Yourself
  6. Styx  -  Crystal Ball
  7. Styx  -  The Grand Illusion
  8. Styx  -  Loreli
  9. Styx  -  Come Sail Away
10. Styx  -  Blue Collar @ 2120
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 08:03:46 AM »
What's "Blue Collar @ 2120"?  A remix/re-recording?  Shame on them for not kicking off with "Light Up."

And now, HM to Bowie for 1975, that opening kills me every time.  Stiffest dance track ever recorded -- I can't imagine how people danced to this back in the day, though I'm sure they did.

Any chance we'll get "Fawwin' in Love"?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 08:10:42 AM »
I think "Wildfire" is a sweet if sleepy song, but I'm forever reminded of a bitchy line in a Dave Barry column about his use of "killing frost" to describe the storm: "Killing Frost refers to your vegetables," the contributor noted, "and no one would get lost in one that wouldn't get lost in the middle of summer."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 08:11:40 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
What's "Blue Collar @ 2120"?  A remix/re-recording?  

it's an "unplugged" version included on their new collection of covers. 2120, I presume, is a small club in Chicagoland.

OMG! "Wildfire", one of the most underrated singles of the '70s IMHO. Why this consistently shows up on HFH lists is beyond me. Great death imagery & symbolism.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 08:14:04 AM »
I think "Wildfire" is a sweet if sleepy song, but I'm forever reminded of a bitchy line in a Dave Barry column about his use of "killing frost" to describe the storm: "Killing Frost refers to your vegetables," the contributor noted, "and no one would get lost in one that wouldn't get lost in the middle of summer."

Er, actually...

"In a blizzard he was lost".  I always assumed the blizzard followed the frost.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 08:17:58 AM »
"can't catch me 'cause the rabbit done died"

got a bit tired of this one when it briefly replaced "Killer Queen" as KFOG's top oldie, great track tho' it is.

Yay! "Magneto & Titanium Man"!! And the Crimson Dynamo came along for the ride...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 08:19:56 AM »
I've never heard this Wings song before.  Not sure why he lapses into his "hoarse-throated from singing all night" persona on an otherwise genteel song.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 08:22:02 AM »
Ah, "Love Hurts" -- so irresistible to over-sing this, it must be an American Idol favorite.  Magnificent songwriting (and I was never ga-ga over Felice and Boudleaux Bryant).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 08:24:51 AM »
Where's Beej?!?  It's time for a BBBBLLLIIITTZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 08:37:18 AM »
BOS: Carlton Fisk!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Fleetwood Mac Landslide
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 08:40:27 AM »
makes me think of the first time I saw this assemblage at a Day On The Green back then; their first gig.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 08:42:22 AM »
I hate posting this many times in a row, but I have to show some more love to "Why Can't We Be Friends?" since there are many who don't like it.  I understand the feeling -- it is a novelty song, and "sometimes I don't speak right / but yet I know what I'm talking about" isn't exactly poetry -- but I don't understand how one can listen to the refrain and not come out smiling at the end.

POW!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 08:45:38 AM »
I hate posting this many times in a row, but I have to show some more love to "Why Can't We Be Friends?" since there are many who don't like it.  I understand the feeling -- it is a novelty song, and "sometimes I don't speak right / but yet I know what I'm talking about" isn't exactly poetry -- but I don't understand how one can listen to the refrain and not come out smiling at the end.

POW!

I despised this song at one time, the repeating refrain used to drive me nuts.  But somewhere along the line my feelings for the song changed.  It DOES make me smile now, every time.  And really, why CAN"T we be friends?
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1975 on Thurs 5/26/05
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 08:47:16 AM »

POW!

agreed -- Ah loves me some "why can't we be friends?" -- tho' the remake (Sugar Ray? Smash Mouth? Sugar Smash?) was unnecessary.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
OH, and BTW, ....
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 08:47:40 AM »
WOS to Wildfire.  No good critical reason, I just hate the way it sounds.  Weepy crap, and when he goes "WI iiiii iii iii lllddddd fiiiiiiiiii errrrrrr" it makes me ill.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing