Author Topic: 9 December 2009: it's 80s Chartbusters  (Read 13401 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 9 December 2009: it's 80s Chartbusters
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »

Pink Floyd - Us and Them

Are you sure you don't mean The Great Gig in the Sky?

Yeah, I always forget that it's actually a twin-spin when I hear it on the radio.

anyway that answer is tunes that are highly memorable for the female backing vox (in other words, I think they shoulda been credited).
Helen Terry on COTPM, Yannick Etienne on Avalon & Clare Torry on the Floyd tune.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2009, 11:39:58 AM »

I'll give a BOS for "Church of the Poison Mind".  Anybody know the woman singing backing vocals?

I was in the car for most of the set, and was framing the following My 3 Songs in my head as soon as I heard this (in addition to calling in my BOS to Annalisa).

Culture Club - Church of the Poison Mind
Pink Floyd - Us and Them
Roxy Music - Avalon

p.s. the Davefish question should make this obvious...

I don't see what Helen Terry had to do with those other two songs, unless you're just talking about notable female guest appearances on popular songs.  Oh, wait, I'm thinking of Great Gig in the Sky.  So, I guess I don't get it.

ETA: Oh, I see that I do get it.  And I did get it.  Shoulda refreshed before posting.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:45:13 AM by Davefish »
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2009, 11:53:07 AM »

Forget her name (Mike mentions it up top), but I saw Brian Ferry at Radio City in 89 (I think) and she blew us away when she soloed on Avalon.

Do you mean Helen Terry (from COTPM) was singing at the show you saw?

oh, no.. they are not the same...   I think the woman who actually sang on the recorded track Avalon was at that show.  But she had some pipes!

so for your My 3 Songs, is the answer "A woman sings a major portion of the song?" or the women are all English and Black?  or ...?

Would the Stones' Gimme Shelter work in this category as well? (Merry Clayton was the featured vocalist on that one.)
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2009, 03:46:31 PM »

Would the Stones' Gimme Shelter work in this category as well? (Merry Clayton was the featured vocalist on that one.)

I'm actually trying to get up to 10, so we'd have a theme set for this.  A couple others would be TFF - "Woman In Chains" & Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More." 

Somewhere, once long ago, I heard a cover of Lou Reed's "Walk On The Wild Side" that had a female vox doing the sax outtro bit, a la Floyd, and it was awesome.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »
12/09/09 - Wednesday!  It's 1980's Chartbusters!!!
   1.  1980 - Stevie Wonder - Master Blaster (Jammin')
   2.  1981 - Rod Stewart - Young Turks
   3.  1982 - Hall & Oates - Man Eater
   4.  1983 - Culture Club - Church of the Poison Mind
   5.  1984 - Tina Turner - You Better Be Good To Me
   6.  1985 - Glen Frey - You Belong to the City
   7.  1986 - Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight (BOS)
   8.  1987 - Sting - We'll Be Together
   9.  1988 - Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
 10.  1989 - Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire
BONUS TRACK:  UB40 - The Way You Do the Things You Do
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2009, 07:41:30 PM »
BOS Guns-n-Roses
WOS Wang Chung

Has Wang Chung been in 10@10 with any other song? "Dance Hall Days" perhaps?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 10:21:54 PM »
BOS Guns-n-Roses
WOS Wang Chung

Has Wang Chung been in 10@10 with any other song? "Dance Hall Days" perhaps?

Yep, that, as well as "To Live and Die In LA," and a single appearance for "Don't Let Go" about 3 years ago.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2009, 08:21:43 AM »
"To Live and Die In LA,"

underrated movie!  (... and a fine song)
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2009, 09:16:34 AM »
"To Live and Die In LA,"

underrated movie!  (... and a fine song)

Totally agree on both counts.  That whole soundtrack album is great.  Very evocative of the film.  The chase scene in that movie set the bar for years to come, and no one has been able to successfully pull off that plot twist since (imho).

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 10:11:20 AM »

I'm actually trying to get up to 10, so we'd have a theme set for this.  A couple others would be TFF - "Woman In Chains" & Petty's "Don't Come Around Here No More." 

On the former count, Oleta Adams got a featured credit on "Woman in Chains" IIRC.

I'd add "Magnet & Steel" and "Gold."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »

On the former count, Oleta Adams got a featured credit on "Woman in Chains" IIRC.

I was thinking Mark's idea was more "unsung/unknown" backing singers, and "M&S" and "Gold" would be the opposite of that, kinda.  ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 10:14:18 AM »

I was thinking Mark's idea was more "unsung/unknown" backing singers, and "M&S" and "Gold" would be the opposite of that, kinda.  ;)

Oh, I thought he was just going for "prominent and uncredited."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »

What I was really going for was the impact on the listening experience, the "bolt from the blue" factor when the female backing vox kick in (especially, but not only, if they are doing a non-lyrical solo, a la the Floyd & Roxy tunes).  

So I would rule out "Gold" just because Stevie doesn't sound that impactful to me.  I'll have to listen to "M&S" again, since it's been a while.  And I think I ovelrooked Oleta getting a titular credit on "WIC", so I'd draw the line with her on the other side of it.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »

What I was really going for was the impact on the listening experience, the "bolt from the blue" factor when the female backing vox kick in (especially, but not only, if they are doing a non-lyrical solo, a la the Floyd & Roxy tunes).  

So I would rule out "Gold" just because Stevie doesn't sound that impactful to me.  I'll have to listen to "M&S" again, since it's been a while.  And I think I ovelrooked Oleta getting a titular credit on "WIC", so I'd draw the line with her on the other side of it.

Maybe Jennifer Holliday on "I Want to Know What Love Is"?  Or is that sort of vamping broadening the category?

There's an out-of-control example of this in Pink Lady's "Kiss in the Dark," if you listen as far as the coda.