Author Topic: 01 December 2009: 1968!  (Read 15523 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 01 December 2009: 1968!
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »
Marlboro country --> Johnny Cash! BOS4 "Folsom Prison Blues"; what did I say the other day about AL not being afraid to play country?  Bless her li'l pea-pickin' heart!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »
White country man sings about killing a man just to watch him die = storytelling legend

Black hip-hopper rap about killing a man = thug

This post has been brought to you by United Jesusland of America.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 10:34:39 AM »
in what other movie can you see the Embarcadero Freeway?

Dirty Harry?

BOS3 S&G -- another Moreytrina but i'm not complaining.

Thanks Mike! I'll have to watch that again, it's been a long while.

good call.  I believe Dirty Harry also features the Lefty O'Doul Bridge (aka Third street Bridge near King Street right next to the ballpark).  btw, that bridge is also visible in one of the Coit Tower Murals.

(btw, I'll be doing a tour of the Coit Murals this Saturday at 11 AM.  It's one of the many FREE  tours offered by the SF City Guides -- http://sfcityguides.org)
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »
Lefty O'Doul Bridge

Also in A View To A Kill. In spite of the location, I felt the best thing about that last Roger Moore-as-Bond movie was the theme song.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »
OMFG! Dark Shadows!! BOS5

BOS6 Jimi.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 10:38:26 AM »
OMFG! Dark Shadows!! BOS5

BOS6 Jimi.

Both NTM.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »
White country man sings about killing a man just to watch him die = storytelling legend

don't get me started on why that's an oversimplification ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »

It's an oversimplification, but it's also a double standard.  White musicians are considered to be intelligent enough to sing "in character," while black rappers get no such benefit of the doubt.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2009, 10:49:28 AM »

It's an oversimplification, but it's also a double standard.  White musicians are considered to be intelligent enough to sing "in character," while black rappers get no such benefit of the doubt.

it's a double standard only up to a point.  Rock and country have the occasional violent lyric (probably less than 10% of all hit rock/pop/country songs are about people killing people). Gangsta Rap's raison d'etre is violence (either "documenting" it or advocating it, depending on your POV), hence its reputation. 

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2009, 11:02:19 AM »
BOS: Johnny Cash, Folsom Prison Blues.

Sodden Thought: Always wondered why, if the protagonist shot a man in Nevada, he was imprisoned in California? Small things...

BOS2, Stones, stayin' close to their roots.

Aside: On the plane from DC last night, the movie was "It Might Get Loud", a real music-geekfest juxtaposing Jimmy Page, the Edge, and Jack White. Made my flight much more enjoyable, but the kids who were expecting to see Harry Potter (which had been announced) weren't so happy.

Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 11:17:33 AM »

Sodden Thought: Always wondered why, if the protagonist shot a man in Nevada, he was imprisoned in California? Small things...

Aside: On the plane from DC last night, the movie was "It Might Get Loud", a real music-geekfest juxtaposing Jimmy Page, the Edge, and Jack White. Made my flight much more enjoyable, but the kids who were expecting to see Harry Potter (which had been announced) weren't so happy.

Yeah, loved that docu -- it didn't do too well theatrically, and is not on the short-list for the Best Docu Oscar (neither is Anvil!).  The vintage clips (most of which were NTM) were just tremendous.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »

Yeah, loved that docu -- it didn't do too well theatrically, and is not on the short-list for the Best Docu Oscar (neither is Anvil!).  The vintage clips (most of which were NTM) were just tremendous.

Ok, I'm slow.. what does NTM mean?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »

Ok, I'm slow.. what does NTM mean?

New To Me.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2009, 03:48:03 PM »

it's a double standard only up to a point.  Rock and country have the occasional violent lyric (probably less than 10% of all hit rock/pop/country songs are about people killing people). Gangsta Rap's raison d'etre is violence (either "documenting" it or advocating it, depending on your POV), hence its reputation. 

I think Mike is right in that gangsta-rap that continually glorifies the thug life is worse overall than the occasional violent lyric in country music, but it should be noted that after Johnny sings the line "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die"  a whole buncha rednecks start a-whoopin' and a-hollerin'.  They're prob the same kind of dudes that get could be (of have been?) violent against minorities.   

OK, enough over thinking it.  The song rocks!
~CPL593H~