Author Topic: 26 Nov 2009 - Thanksgiving  (Read 6550 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 26 Nov 2009 - Thanksgiving
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »
Caught the replay last nite.  I got *very* sick of the Dodo Dido when it was in uber-heavy KFOG rotation (ditto the Natalie Merchant), but the George Harrison was a lovely surprise (and a serious rarity if not a bustout). BOS George. And Wayne Newton was the OMGWTFLOL-of-the-week if not the year; that took serious balls on AL's part.  She totally rules.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 10:34:05 AM »
the George Harrison was a lovely surprise (and a serious rarity if not a bustout).

What was it - "Thanks for the Pepperoni"?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 10:41:12 AM »
the George Harrison was a lovely surprise (and a serious rarity if not a bustout).

What was it - "Thanks for the Pepperoni"?

Hee.  AL played "If Not For You".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
   11/26/09 – Thanksgiving: Songs of Thanks
   1.  Sly & the Family Stone – Thank You (faletinme be mice elf agin)
   2.  Bonnie Raitt – I Thank You
   3.  George Harrison – If Not For You
   4.  Natalie Merchant  – Kind and Generous
   5.  Style Council - You’re the Best Thing
   6.  Dido – Thank You
   7.  Led Zeppelin – Thank You
   8.  Ray Davies – Thanksgiving Day
   9.  John Mellencamp – Thank You
 10.  Wayne Newton – Danke Schoen

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »

And Wayne Newton was the OMGWTFLOL-of-the-week if not the year; that took serious balls on AL's part.  She totally rules.

Until now, I had never quite figured out that this was actually WN singing the 1963 "Dankeschoen".   I'd heard his later versions, and always supposed that somewhere out there was an original version of "Dankeschoen" by him, and that the 'classic' version I often heard was some husky-voiced alto covering this long-lost original.  How did he ever manage to sing like that?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »

And Wayne Newton was the OMGWTFLOL-of-the-week if not the year; that took serious balls on AL's part.  She totally rules.

Until now, I had never quite figured out that this was actually WN singing the 1963 "Dankeschoen".   I'd heard his later versions, and always supposed that somewhere out there was an original version of "Dankeschoen" by him, and that the 'classic' version I often heard was some husky-voiced alto covering this long-lost original.  How did he ever manage to sing like that?

I thought this was done by a woman, too.  I was "utterly gobsmacked" when AL said it was Wayne, and not Juice, Newton.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »

I thought this was done by a woman, too.  I was "utterly gobsmacked" when AL said it was Wayne, and not Juice, Newton.
Quote from: Wikipedia
Wayne Newtons first version was released when he was 21 years old. Newtons effeminate timbre at the time is often mistaken for that of a female singer by those unfamiliar with the song.
I always knew it was Wayne, but perhaps I thought he was younger than 21 at the time he sang it.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!