Author Topic: 19 Nov 2009: 1969!  (Read 8816 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 19 Nov 2009: 1969!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »
can't really complain about an overplayed Santana track given the overall fabulousness of this set.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 10:35:21 AM »

Oooooooohhhhh yah!  BOS for those funky Meters.

I'm quite sure Ginger played the Meters more than once, albeit perhaps not in '69, but according to the Db Dave never did at all.

That is kinda surprising--you'd think he'd at least have included them in a Soul Patrol a time or two.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:37:05 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 10:37:31 AM »
VHM "Buffalo Soldier" "Banana Splits Theme"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7571952.stm
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:39:11 AM by RGMike »

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 10:37:36 AM »
WTF is this Banana Splits theme--this ain't the original version.
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 10:37:48 AM »
Holy Toledo!  Who is doing this Up Yours People version of the Banana Splits Theme?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 10:37:57 AM »
who the F*** is this!?

I lurves it immensely!

tra la la tra la la la
tra la la tra la la la
tra la la tra la la la
tra la la tra la la la

one banana two banana three banana four
all bananas make a split so do many more
over hill and highway the banana buggies go
come along to bring you the banana splits show

four banana three banana two banana one
all bananas playing in the bright warm sun
flipping like a pancake popping like a cork
fleagle bingo drooper and snork

making up a mess of fun
making up a mess of fun
making up a mess of fun
lots of fun for everyone

four banana three banana two banana one
all bananas playing in the bright warm sun
flipping like a pancake popping like a cork
fleagle bingo drooper and snork
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 10:39:39 AM »
who the F*** is this!?

I lurves it immensely!

tra la la tra la la la

this sounds like a re-mix...
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »
Holy Toledo!  Who is doing this Up Yours People version of the Banana Splits Theme?

Glad it wasn't just me--and you're dead on with the UWP ref.

The production on this almost sounds too new for '69. Did they try to reboot that show in the 90s?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 10:41:31 AM »
who the F*** is this!?

clearly you've forgotten their landmark '69 LP BS Comes Alive

The Dickies did a cover of the BS theme -- but I'm guessing thiers was more "punk"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:45:39 AM by RGMike »

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 10:42:42 AM »

The production on this almost sounds too new for '69. Did they try to reboot that show in the 90s?
I agree with that assessment.  She said it was the Banana Splits...maybe there was a studio group put together to be them?  It certainly wasn't Paul Winchell singing -- voice of Fleagle, I do believe.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 10:44:31 AM »

I agree, it sounded too new for 69.  AL has some explaining (and some giggling) to do!
~CPL593H~

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 10:48:17 AM »
Here's the BS from Wikipedia:

The Banana Splits' bubblegum pop rock and roll was provided by studio professionals, including Joey Levine ("I Enjoy Being a Boy", "It's a Good Day for a Parade"); Al Kooper ("You're the Lovin' End"); Barry White ("Doin' the Banana Split"); Gene Pitney ("Two Ton Tessie") and Jimmy Radcliffe provided his songs ("I'm Gonna Find A Cave", "Soul", "Don't Go Away Go-Go Girl", "Adam Had 'Em" and "The Show Must Go On") but did not contribute vocals to Splits recordings. The music director was music publisher Aaron Schroeder while production duties were mainly handled by David Mook.

In 1968, The Banana Splits released an album titled We're the Banana Splits. The show’s theme song, titled "The Tra La La Song (One Banana, Two Banana)", released as a single, peaked at number 97 on Billboard's Top 100 in February 1969.[8] The version included on the We're The Banana Splits album is the same recording heard at the beginning of the show, while the single version is an entirely different arrangement and recording of the song, featuring an additional verse. The song was written by Nelson Brock Winkless, Jr., however, owing to contractual arrangements[citation needed], on all record releases (as well as the TV show's closing credits), credit given to Ritchie Adams and Mark Barkan. Winkless is credited as co-writer, along with Hoyt Curtin, of "The Beautiful Calliopa" (also called "My Beautiful Calliopasaxaviatrumparimbaclaribasotrombaphone"), which was featured several times in the television series and also issued on record.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 10:48:25 AM »
Holy Toledo!  Who is doing this Up Yours People version of the Banana Splits Theme?

I agree, it sounded too new for 69.  AL has some explaining (and some giggling) to do!

According to AMG, both the Dickies and Liz Phair have covered The Tra-La-La Song, but I don't think that was either of those.

The AMG bio is pretty interesting though:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:gpfoxqe5ld6e~T1
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:54:46 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 10:49:31 AM »
Annalisa didn't tell us!?

Other than The Dickies (which I have the MP3 of, in case anyone wants it, very cool punkish version), the only thing I could find on Googole was ARTIST: Ritchie Adams and Mark Barkan.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:53:44 AM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »
Here's the BS from Wikipedia:

The Banana Splits' bubblegum pop rock and roll was provided by studio professionals, including Joey Levine ("I Enjoy Being a Boy", "It's a Good Day for a Parade"); Al Kooper ("You're the Lovin' End"); Barry White ("Doin' the Banana Split"); Gene Pitney ("Two Ton Tessie") and Jimmy Radcliffe provided his songs ("I'm Gonna Find A Cave", "Soul", "Don't Go Away Go-Go Girl", "Adam Had 'Em" and "The Show Must Go On") but did not contribute vocals to Splits recordings. The music director was music publisher Aaron Schroeder while production duties were mainly handled by David Mook.

In 1968, The Banana Splits released an album titled We're the Banana Splits. The show’s theme song, titled "The Tra La La Song (One Banana, Two Banana)", released as a single, peaked at number 97 on Billboard's Top 100 in February 1969.[8] The version included on the We're The Banana Splits album is the same recording heard at the beginning of the show, while the single version is an entirely different arrangement and recording of the song, featuring an additional verse. The song was written by Nelson Brock Winkless, Jr., however, owing to contractual arrangements[citation needed], on all record releases (as well as the TV show's closing credits), credit given to Ritchie Adams and Mark Barkan. Winkless is credited as co-writer, along with Hoyt Curtin, of "The Beautiful Calliopa" (also called "My Beautiful Calliopasaxaviatrumparimbaclaribasotrombaphone"), which was featured several times in the television series and also issued on record.

Per a phone call I just got off of with her, Annnalisa confirms that the cut she played was the single version cut from that album. and she confirms that the only artist credited is The Banana Splits.

--Carlos Santana, 2010