Author Topic: 18 Nov 2009: I'm guessing something '80s-ish (1988)  (Read 10047 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Nov 2009: I'm guessing something '80s-ish (1988)
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
BOS #4 Jerry Harrison.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 10:42:02 AM »
Rev it up rev it up little boy and VHM.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 10:42:57 AM »
Smiths unquestionably the uber-BOS, but a very big BOS to TT-D'A.  "Wishing Well" is a huge Sledgehammer/Zietgeist tune, and one of those things that one imagines was *this close* to becoming a Penthouse letter.

where is your MIND?

sorry, a little slow on the uptake that this was solo Morrissey, and no, I checked, it was some guy named Vini Reilly credited with the guitars.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 10:44:26 AM »
sorry, Jerry Harrison ain't cutting it for me.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:50 AM »
Smiths unquestionably the uber-BOS, but a very big BOS to TT-D'A.  "Wishing Well" is a huge Sledgehammer/Zietgeist tune, and one of those things that one imagines was *this close* to becoming a Penthouse letter.

where is your MIND?

sorry, a little slow on the uptake that this was solo Morrissey, and no, I checked, it was some guy named Vini Reilly credited with the guitars.

doing a creditable Marr imitation, which I suppose was the idea.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:10 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAACK! anything by TTD besides "WW" woulda made this set a keeper.  But... no.

Agreed.  Have they ever played anything else from him?
I like WW, but it seems like it's played on every single 87 and 88 set.

BOS to Morrissey.  This one worked well in this mostly slow-midtempo set.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2009, 11:13:36 AM »
Smiths unquestionably the uber-BOS, but a very big BOS to TT-D'A.  "Wishing Well" is a huge Sledgehammer/Zietgeist tune, and one of those things that one imagines was *this close* to becoming a Penthouse letter.
I don't see the Penthouse (Forum) connection.  I looked at the lyrics, but they're a little abstract for that sort of venue.

Not a lyrical, only an anecdotal connection:

Back in 1988 I was living with my brother Chris in SD, and holding down part-time jobs as a limo driver and selling suits at the JC Penney in Fashion Valley Mall, one of the more upscale JCP’s in the country.  There was a gal named Donna who was centerfold material (before the advent of ubiquitous breast-implants, mind you), and she had the job of dressing all the mannequins and displays in the store, which brought her into my dept quite often.  She had married her HS sweetheart who was in the Navy, but that didn’t stop us from becoming pretty good friends and keeping up a low-level flirtation.

At this particular time there was a stretch of several weeks where my limo company was hired by one of the local radio stations (91X), to be part of their promotion at a local nightspot that had dinner & dancing.  Every Tuesday it was Ladies Night, and they were having a best T-Shirt dance contest (not wet T-shirt, but only just barely less provocative), and the evening’s winner got a free 90 min limo ride with yours truly.

So imagine my surprise when one night Donna shows up at the Best T-shirt dance contest & comes in 2nd (but with her husband in attendance).

Then…one day shortly after, Donna walked up to me and told me straight out, appropo nothing, that she had had a dream about me the night before.  I was quite literally at a loss for words.  Then she proceeds to tell me that even though she came in second previously, she’s been invited back by the bar to participate in their grand finale, in which the Grand Prize is a week for two in Hawaii.  And THEN she proceeds to tell me that her husband is at sea, and would I *please* come with her the next night to lend her moral support (I SWEAR she used those words!).  She said she didn’t think she could do it if I wasn’t there.

And so there I was, the only member of her rooting section as she performed to “Wishing Well”…and she kept her eyes on me the whole time…and of course she won the contest & trip to Hawaii…and of course she went with her husband…and he thanked me profusely…and all I got was a peck on the cheek.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:14:11 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 11:31:40 AM »
Great story, Mark!  I can see why I didn't get it all from your original post.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32:48 AM »
As overplayed as "Roll With It" is, it still sounds good to me.  I remember being really happy about it then.  Steve Winwood's vocals sound great -- a real throwback to the Spencer Davis days.

I 100% agree... it's sort of the 1988 version of "Smooth" - veteran rocker has a #1 pop song that isn't too dull. In fact, it seems there are many stylistic similarities between the two..

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 11:35:05 AM »
BOS: Pixies
HM: Winwood, Jerry Harrison
WOS: Proclaimers

Song from '88 I'd love to hear on 10@10 but probably won't: Terence Trent D'arby, "Dance Little Sister"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 11:38:20 AM »

Song from '88 I'd love to hear on 10@10 but probably won't: Terence Trent D'arby, "Dance Little Sister"

I'll have to check that one out.  Another track from that album is on my list, "Let's Go Forward".
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 02:15:27 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 08:50:32 PM »

I'll have to check that one out.  Another track from that album is on my list, "Let's Go Forward".

Introducing the Hardline... is honestly in my Top 10 albums of all time, one I often cite in deserted-island scenarios.  I'm partial to "If You All Get to Heaven" and "Sign Your Name."  I really think everyone should own that album.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2009, 09:42:50 PM »
11/18/09 - Midweek!  Sounds like...1988!!
   1.  Smithereens - Only a Memory
   2.  Steve Winwood - Roll With it
(News:  KPIX Local)
   3.  Talking Heads - (Nothing But) Flowers
   4.  Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
(News:  Pan Am Lockerbie Scotland bombing)
   5.  Tracy Chapman - Baby, Can I Hold You (BOS)
   6.  Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane
(Movie:  Heathers)
   7.  Morrissey - Suedehead
   8.  Terrence Trent D'Arby - Wishing Well
(News - Nasty election montage)
   9.  Pixies - Where is My Mind (BOS)
 10.  Jerry Harrison - Rev it Up
BONUS TRACK:  Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers - Tumblin' Down
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »
just heard the Pixies cut on the replay.  What is the attraction to liking this?  Is it the band itself?  This particular song?  Many of you profess BOSness for this cut.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »
just heard the Pixies cut on the replay.  What is the attraction to liking this?  Is it the band itself?  This particular song?  Many of you profess BOSness for this cut.

While that's not the best Pixies song (In my opinion, that would be "Bone Machine"), I voted it BOS for being something new on 10@10. At least, I find them to be something new.