Author Topic: 5 November 2009: it's...1976  (Read 10765 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 5 November 2009: it's...1976
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2009, 10:45:25 AM »
another hard-rockin' bustout!  BOS5 AC/DC Bagpipes!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 10:46:05 AM »
Best bagpipe of set, AC/DC It's A Long Way To the Top (If You Want to Rock and Roll).

And one more bustout, too. How many is that? 4? 5?
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 10:46:18 AM »
another BOS (and Alicat proxy) for Bon Scott & Co.
~CPL593H~

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2009, 10:46:18 AM »
well I couldn't find any confirmation that Steve Walsh ... greatest album cover in rock history

OMG, awesome!  he seems like a well rounded guy w many talents..  If anyone can shred* on a harpsichord wearing no shirt, aviator shades and running shorts from the 70s, it would be him.  

* Of course, you cannot "shred" a harpsichord in the same way you can shred, say, an axe.  No matter how hard you hit the keys, the h'chord will not sound louder.  There is no correlation b/w force used on the keys and volume produced.  This is b/c the strings are plucked and not hammered.  
So hitting the key faster doesn't make it pluck harder?  I guess it's just a very small effect.  Anyway, I think there should be a biopic about him starring Owen Wilson.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »
well I couldn't find any confirmation that Steve Walsh ... greatest album cover in rock history

OMG, awesome!  he seems like a well rounded guy w many talents..  If anyone can shred* on a harpsichord wearing no shirt, aviator shades and running shorts from the 70s, it would be him.  

* Of course, you cannot "shred" a harpsichord in the same way you can shred, say, an axe.  No matter how hard you hit the keys, the h'chord will not sound louder.  There is no correlation b/w force used on the keys and volume produced.  This is b/c the strings are plucked and not hammered.  
So hitting the key faster doesn't make it pluck harder?  I guess it's just a very small effect.  Anyway, I think there should be a biopic about him starring Owen Wilson.
from what I understand, no.  Take a listen to harpsihord music and you'll notice a consistency in volume throughout   But you will hear many variations in rhythm and pace, which is where much of the artistry comes in.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:05:36 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »
Not sure what I did right, but I got thru the entire set with no time-outs, but as soon as the back sell was done they started again, and I've had four in the ensuing 10 minutes or so. Must say, it was nice not to have to refresh for the better part of an hour.

Also, quite nice not to come out of the set into Green Day. Not sure when the last time was that it was played--the KFOG "just played" engine has a 2.5 hour lapse from 4:30am to about 7:10, but I'd bet it was in there somewhere. So once again, 21 Guns is probably past due.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »
11/5/09 - Thursday!  Rockin' through...1976!!

1.  Boston - Smokin'
   2.  Foghat - Fool For the City
(TV:  SNL's Mr. Bill)
   3.  Eagles - Victim of Love
   4.  Kansas - Carry On My Wayward Son
(TV:  Mash)
   5.  KC & the Sunshine Band - I'm Your Boogie Man
   6.  Maxine Nightingale - Right Back Where We Started From
(News/Swine Flu PSA)
   7.  ELO - Strange Magic
   8.  Bad Company - Silver, Blue & Gold
(NBC News Update)
   9.  Queen - Tie Your Mother Down
(Ad:  Rolaids)
 10.  AC/DC - It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) (BOS)

BONUS TRACK:  Hall & Oates - She's Gone
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »
well I couldn't find any confirmation that Steve Walsh played harpsichord on COMWS (credits are simply 'keyboards') but I was reminded of the infamous cover of his first solo album.  AMG's Stephen Thomas Erlewine says this very well could be the greatest album cover in rock history.

"There are no less than four illustrations of Walsh, all shirtless and in running shorts, with the point of focus being an image of Walsh in sunglasses towering over a stadium and pointing two guns at the viewer (thankfully, he's being safe and wearing ear protection); above it is a glamorous head shot silhouetted by a mountain range, with his hair looking appropriately wind-swept; to the right is a shot of him singing and to the left, he's engaged in an indiscernible athletic activity. It's a portrait of an id raging out of control — it's the Dirk Diggler album brought to life! — and that's the sound of the record."

Greatest? or GAYEST??

Looks like something that was sketched by a high school art student, particularly with the rah-rah lettering.

That font type, in this use, shall be called FARCITY.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 09:35:09 PM »
And BOS from me to mighty Maxine Nightingale.  Shortly after I moved to SF and discovered 10@10, Dave played this; I hadn't heard it in at least 20 years.  I was walking near Geary and Fillmore when it came on (it was the evening replay), and jammed to Japantown as it played.  A fond sense-memory of the period.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2009, 08:35:06 AM »
11/5/09 - Thursday!  Rockin' through...1976!!
   1.  Boston - Smokin'
   2.  Foghat - Fool For the City / (TV: SNL's Mr. Bill)
   3.  Eagles - Victim of Love
   4.  Kansas - Carry On My Wayward Son / (TV: M*A*S*H)
   5.  KC & the Sunshine Band - I'm Your Boogie Man
   6.  Maxine Nightingale - Right Back Where We Started From
      (News/Swine Flu PSA)
   7.  ELO - Strange Magic
   8.  Bad Company - Silver, Blue & Gold / (NBC News Update)
   9.  Queen - Tie Your Mother Down / (Ad: Rolaids)
 10.  AC/DC - It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) (BOS)
  BONUS TRACK:  Hall & Oates - She's Gone
Caught the replay Sat morn while driving around doing errands, esp liked #8-10, but it occurred to me that KC's "Boogie Man" was not from '76, so looked it up.  Sho' 'nuf, it hit the Top 40 4/77, went to #1 6/77. Their big '76 hit was "Shake Your Booty."  Sorry AL, but gots to call it out when we catch it.