Author Topic: The Peak: 10/29/09: 1974  (Read 2410 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
The Peak: 10/29/09: 1974
« on: October 29, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »
Any Major Dude Will Tell You by Steely Dan  from the album Pretzel Logic
Seasons of Wither by Aerosmith  from the album Greatest Hits 73-78/Classics Live
Free Man in Paris by Joni Mitchell  from the album Court and Spark
Bungle in the Jungle by Jethro Tull  from the album Warchild
You Haven't Done Nothin'  by Stevie Wonder from the album Fulfillingness' First Finale
Tasty by Good Rats from the album Tasty
Junior's Farm by Paul McCartney / Wings  from the album Wingspan (Hits & History)
Rebel Music (3 O'Clock Road Block) by Bob Marley  from the album Dreams of Freedom: Ambient Translations of Bob Marley in Dub
Let It Ride by Bachman-Turner Overdrive  from the album Bachman-Turner Overdrive II
The Late Show by Jackson Browne from the album Late For the Sky

Good Rats!
~CPL593H~

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Peak: 10/29/09: 1974
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »
Dang me but that's a helluva set.  Good Rats indeed!  I just heard my favorite song of theirs on XM's DeepTracks a couple days ago.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:10:52 PM »
Dang me but that's a helluva set.  Good Rats indeed!  I just heard my favorite song of theirs on XM's DeepTracks a couple days ago.

The Rats were local Lawn Guyland faves and of course Tasty was their big major-label (Warners, iirc) shot and it sadly didn't do what everyone hoped, commercially. So they went back to indie-label distrib. 

A fine set indeed: "Junior's Farm", my pick for Macca's best. 45. evah! and I don't think I've heard that Jackson Browne song on the radio since '74. The Aerosmith is an ATBB too, I reckon.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:12:08 PM »

What song is that? I can think of three Good Rats songs that might be hits:
Injun Joe
Tasty
You're Still Doing It
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »

Injun Joe
Tasty
You're Still Doing It

I've heard "Injun Joe" on the WMIR stream a few times ( http://www.wmir1009.com ), but they're on Lawn Guyland, so that makes sense.

Rat-City in Blue, their indie-label effort a few years later, got lots of play at my college station. A great song called "Advertisement in the Voice" about a guy looking for love in the personals, could easily be mistaken for a Ben Folds compo, and "Yellow Flower", about a woman with a tatoo of a, um , yellow flower on her ass, sounds like something you'd hear at a Polish wedding -- I always thought Bobby Vinton or Tony Orlando shoulda covered it.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »

Injun Joe
Tasty
You're Still Doing It

I've heard "Injun Joe" on the WMIR stream a few times ( http://www.wmir1009.com ), but they're on Lawn Guyland, so that makes sense.

Rat-City in Blue, their indie-label effort a few years later, got lots of play at my college station. A great song called "Advertisement in the Voice" about a guy looking for love in the personals, could easily be mistaken for a Ben Folds compo, and "Yellow Flower", about a woman with a tatoo of a, um , yellow flower on her ass, sounds like something you'd hear at a Polish wedding -- I always thought Bobby Vinton or Tony Orlando shoulda covered it.

They were faves up in Rochester, too.  You can still hear them on the classic rawk station, WCMF. 
They opened for Journey in the Dome Arena in 1979, my first real rock concert!  Peppi threw may rubber rats into audience, and their guitarist (Joe Defranco? w the rocker hair?) left the stage via the wings, went via some back way and found a spot up in the side bleacher seats and did a guitar solo from there!  It was the coolest thing...
~CPL593H~

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »
"Injun Joe" was the Fave I was referencing.  It was even big across the Mississip.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010