Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1092200 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #930 on: November 11, 2008, 01:44:40 PM »
Huh, strange, my database doesn't show them EVER playing "Thank U".  Maybe it's not in their computer?

This morning was the first time I can recall them ever playing it, and the quiz to win Alanis tix was based on the song (name 3 things she thanks in the lyrics) so with luck it'll never come up again! ("Thank you India"? "Thank you terror"? WTF?)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 11, 2008, 02:09:47 PM »
Other stats, since I'm here:

Top 15 songs for October (Spins / Artist / Song / Album):

83 Los Lonely Boys    STAYING WITH ME Forgiven / KFOG Live From The Archives 15
  81 Snow Patrol        TAKE BACK THE CITY      Hundred Million Suns
  78 NEEDTOBREATHE      MORE TIME       Heat
  77 Aimee Mann FREEWAY @#%25
  60 Coldplay   LOST!   Viva La Vida
  54 O.A.R.     SHATTERED (TURN THE CAR AROUND) All Sides
  53 GAVIN ROSSDALE     LOVE REMAINS THE SAME   WANDERLUST
  52 Michael Franti     SAY HEY (I LOVE YOU)    All Rebel Rockers
  51 KT TUNSTALL        LITTLE FAVOURS  Drastic Fantastic
  51 Jason Mraz I'M YOURS       We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things
  50 ERIC HUTCHINSON    ROCK AND ROLL   Sounds Like This
  49 Death Cab for Cutie        I WILL POSESS YOUR HEART        Narrow Stairs
  49 Journey NEVER WALK AWAY Revelation
  48 Augustana  SWEET AND LOW   Can't Love, Can't Hurt / KFOG Live From The Archives 15
  47 Duffy      MERCY   Rockferry

That entire list jibes quite well with what I think I've been hearing, except for the KT Tunstall, which I barely think I've heard at all.  Weird.

Just wondering, how many different tracks has KFOG played from the Coldplay album?  I could swear I've heard at least 4, and, liking them well enough, I got the album last week (also because my kid really likes them).

On a slightly tangential note, the title of the album is Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends, and there is both a track titled "Death And All His Friends" and one titled "Viva La Vida".  Can anyone think of any other album that has two separate title tracks?  I sure can't.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 11, 2008, 02:14:32 PM »
Other stats, since I'm here:

Top 15 songs for October (Spins / Artist / Song / Album):

83 Los Lonely Boys    STAYING WITH ME Forgiven / KFOG Live From The Archives 15
  81 Snow Patrol        TAKE BACK THE CITY      Hundred Million Suns
  78 NEEDTOBREATHE      MORE TIME       Heat
  77 Aimee Mann FREEWAY @#%25
  60 Coldplay   LOST!   Viva La Vida
  54 O.A.R.     SHATTERED (TURN THE CAR AROUND) All Sides
  53 GAVIN ROSSDALE     LOVE REMAINS THE SAME   WANDERLUST
  52 Michael Franti     SAY HEY (I LOVE YOU)    All Rebel Rockers
  51 KT TUNSTALL        LITTLE FAVOURS  Drastic Fantastic
  51 Jason Mraz I'M YOURS       We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things
  50 ERIC HUTCHINSON    ROCK AND ROLL   Sounds Like This
  49 Death Cab for Cutie        I WILL POSESS YOUR HEART        Narrow Stairs
  49 Journey NEVER WALK AWAY Revelation
  48 Augustana  SWEET AND LOW   Can't Love, Can't Hurt / KFOG Live From The Archives 15
  47 Duffy      MERCY   Rockferry

That entire list jibes quite well with what I think I've been hearing, except for the KT Tunstall, which I barely think I've heard at all.  Weird.

Just wondering, how many different tracks has KFOG played from the Coldplay album?  I could swear I've heard at least 4, and, liking them well enough, I got the album last week (also because my kid really likes them).

On a slightly tangential note, the title of the album is Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends, and there is both a track titled "Death And All His Friends" and one titled "Viva La Vida".  Can anyone think of any other album that has two separate title tracks?  I sure can't.

TANC:  They are playing the Los Lonely Boys track right now...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 11, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »

(SPINS / BAND (duh) / SONG / ALBUM)

1 COLDPLAY   LOVERS IN JAPAN Viva la Vida
 134 Coldplay   LOST!   Viva La Vida
 135 Coldplay   VIOLET HILL     Viva La Vida
 249 Coldplay   VIVA LA VIDA    Viva La Vida

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 11, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
Hey, did you guys catch Jake Shimabukuro on the Morning Show yesterday?  I missed it but they replayed his ukelele version of MJ's "Thriller". Cool stuff.  (We've seen Jake live.  He's pretty amazing.)

Here's a link to the stream:
http://media.kfog.com/kfog/jakeshimabukuro_ms1108.asx

BTW, did you know that any of the songs that KFOG puts up in the ASX format above are are often just MP3s?  Just substitute mp3 for asx, and it'll load up in your browser.  File->Save Page As, and voila, you've got something for your iPod, etc.  Example: 
http://media.kfog.com/kfog/jakeshimabukuro_ms1108.mp3

Lots of gold here:
http://www.kfog.com/morningshow/2006archives.asp
http://www.kfog.com/morningshow/2007archives.asp

Heck, this one isn't even disguised as an ASX file:
http://media.kfog.com/kfog/meganjerryjeff_ms0207.mp3

Enjoy!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 12, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »
KFOG just played a new track by The Killers (I think the title is Are We Human?).   Renee liked it. Dave, too, calling it a "club song" of sorts.  But Irish Greg was all over it, doing a little Irish jig and being very enthusiastic.  So Dave poked some fun at him a little saying "Ok, it's pretty good, true.  I mean, it's not BAD, not like The Cars, huh? eh, Greg?" implying Greg dislikes Ric, Ben and the boys from Boston.   

Just thought I'd mention it, mostly for Mike and Princess and I think Alicat (and more..?).  Irish Greg is on your side!

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 12, 2008, 09:48:04 AM »
KFOG just played a new track by The Killers (I think the title is Are We Human?).   Renee liked it. Dave, too, calling it a "club song" of sorts.  But Irish Greg was all over it, doing a little Irish jig and being very enthusiastic.  So Dave poked some fun at him a little saying "Ok, it's pretty good, true.  I mean, it's not BAD, not like The Cars, huh? eh, Greg?" implying Greg dislikes Ric, Ben and the boys from Boston.   

Just thought I'd mention it, mostly for Mike and Princess and I think Alicat (and more..?).  Irish Greg is on your side!

They've been playing that song A LOT. It's catchy, but WTF is that lyric? "are we human or are we dancer"?? Whatthehell does that even mean?

The Cars comment was a reference to something Renee said at 5:45 this morning about how the Cars were lousy live. So, funny if you were awake at 5:45, but otherwise a "WTF?" comment.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 12, 2008, 10:00:13 AM »
The Cars comment was a reference to something Renee said at 5:45 this morning about how the Cars were lousy live. So, funny if you were awake at 5:45, but otherwise a "WTF?" comment.

Wow, I actually agree with Renee's opinion about a band. (Which means yes, I did see the Cars once. Won tickets to a big festival thing in around '84, on which the Cars topped the bill. And they were b-o-o-o-ring! REM was the opener though, and I believe Berlin, Ratt, and Huey Lewis were on the bill as well.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 12, 2008, 10:02:44 AM »

Wow, I actually agree with Renee's opinion about a band. (Which means yes, I did see the Cars once. Won tickets to a big festival thing in around '84, on which the Cars topped the bill. And they were b-o-o-o-ring!

Ha! ditto -- saw them in NYC, Central Park summer of either '78 or '79 and they were like robots.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 12, 2008, 10:23:21 AM »

Wow, I actually agree with Renee's opinion about a band. (Which means yes, I did see the Cars once. Won tickets to a big festival thing in around '84, on which the Cars topped the bill. And they were b-o-o-o-ring!

Ha! ditto -- saw them in NYC, Central Park summer of either '78 or '79 and they were like robots.
I saw them, too: Rochester NY in 1980?   Not too good.  Very thin sound.  These guys were an album band for shore.  In fact, their debut won a grammy for production (Roy Thomas Baker produced, IIRC).

and now that you mention it, they made reference to The Cars again at about 7:40 or so, saying how poor they were live.   
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: November 12, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »
I just surfed over to the "New Releases Thurs" page on the KFOG site; first time in a long while. Wha' Happened?? -- there used to be an extensive listing of new tracks (each with a link to hear a sample), some of which were in such light rotation that you'd rarely hear them on-air.  That's all gone, and all there is now is the playlsit of Big Rick's most recent Thursday nite 2-hour block of new music.

(I was trying to see if they're playing that new My Morning Jacket song I heard on the Peak the other day)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 13, 2008, 10:08:22 AM »
They've been playing that song A LOT. It's catchy, but WTF is that lyric? "are we human or are we dancer"?? Whatthehell does that even mean?

I've been meaning to post about this track for a while -- it DOES stand out from the normal gray mrazzish fog that is the normal fare, but the lyrics make no sense at all.  Which is irritating.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 13, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »
the normal gray mrazzish fog that is the normal fare.

ROTFLSHIPMP!  That is the line of the Month, easily. (Sorry, Gaz)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 14, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »
(I was trying to see if they're playing that new My Morning Jacket song I heard on the Peak the other day)

Mainly they've been playing "I'm Amazed".

Almost only the only time they play something else is during the new Sunday Night Side Show (formerly "Sunday Night Jam," but Mike Powers is out, replaced by music director Kelly Ransford.  I actually like this show a lot more):

Fri Jan 18 09:09:00 2008        My Morning Jacket       GOLDEN  It Still Moves
Sun Jan 27 12:30:00 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       WORDLESS CHORUS Z
Sun Feb 24 22:51:00 2008        My Morning Jacket       OFF THE RECORD  Z
Fri Mar  7 23:36:01 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       WORDLESS CHORUS Z
Sun Mar 16 22:21:00 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       LAY LOW Z
Tue Mar 18 18:18:00 2008        My Morning Jacket       GOLDEN  It Still Moves
Sun Apr 13 22:15:00 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       CHILLS
Thu Apr 17 18:51:00 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       CHILLS  At Dawn/Tennessee Fire Demos
Sun Apr 20 21:12:01 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       EVIL URGES
Sat Apr 26 20:12:02 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       GOLDEN (KFOG ARCHIVES)  KFOG: LIVE FROM THE ARCHIVES 11
Sun May 18 22:15:00 2008        My Morning Jacket       EVIL URGES      Evil Urges
Sun Jun 29 16:15:00 2008        My Morning Jacket       GOLDEN  It Still Moves
Sun Jul 13 19:21:02 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       GOLDEN (KFOG ARCHIVES)  KFOG: LIVE FROM THE ARCHIVES 11
Sun Jul 13 21:06:01 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS
Sun Jul 20 21:33:01 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       ALUMINIUM PARK
Sun Jul 27 22:24:00 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       TOUCH ME I'M GOING TO SC
Sun Aug  3 22:27:01 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       SEC WALKIN
Sun Aug 17 22:09:01 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       TOUCH ME I'M GOING TO SC        Evil Urges
Sun Aug 31 21:12:00 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       ALUMINIUM PARK
Sun Sep  7 21:36:00 2008        My Morning Jacket       SEC WALKIN      Evil Urges
Sun Sep 28 22:48:01 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       GOLDEN (KFOG ARCHIVES)  KFOG: LIVE FROM THE ARCHIVES 11
Sun Oct 26 21:24:01 2008        MY MORNING JACKET       GIDEON  Z
Sun Nov  9 22:39:01 2008        My Morning Jacket       SEC WALKIN      Evil Urges

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 19, 2008, 09:57:25 PM »
Hey, this is about 6 years old, but it's a nice write-up about Dave when he hit the big 2-0 on KFOG:  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/09/20/WB17822.DTL&hw=dave+morey&sn=001&sc=1000

I found it while Googling for any photos of Dave at the San Rafael protests from Saturday.  No luck, just a mention in the Marin paper:  http://www.marinij.com/ci_10996974?source=most_viewed

Oh, and the SFGate write-up turned up in a comment in this blog about his retirement:  http://marinlocalmusic.com/content/kfogs-dave-morrey-retires-december-19#comment-369

[Insert ironic joke about Dave bringing heteros together, but being unable to marry someone he loves.]