Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1078891 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #885 on: October 21, 2008, 09:55:45 AM »
Even more annoying (but not a joke): KFOG just played "Santeria" by Sublime, which was NEVER a KFOG song at the time it was a hit (a Live 105 biggie, however). I never really "got" Sublime (I believe I once called them "the Police with less education and more tattoos"). But it's in "oldie" rotation now.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 21, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »
Even more annoying (but not a joke): KFOG just played "Santeria" by Sublime, which was NEVER a KFOG song at the time it was a hit (a Live 105 biggie, however). I never really "got" Sublime (I believe I once called them "the Police with less education and more tattoos"). But it's in "oldie" rotation now.

I heard (from a reliable source) that KFOG is thinking of shifting the scope of their playlist a bit.   Drop some of the supertramp-y stuff and pick up some more modern rockier stuff... Perhaps Kid Rock/Sublime is a sign of things to come, or maybe Benson is testing the waters.  Or maybe they're just feeling a little crazy today.  Lotsa caffeine or something?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 21, 2008, 11:50:03 AM »
I heard (from a reliable source) that KFOG is thinking of shifting the scope of their playlist a bit.   Drop some of the supertramp-y stuff and pick up some more modern rockier stuff... Perhaps Kid Rock/Sublime is a sign of things to come, or maybe Benson is testing the waters. 

KFOG flirts with that every couple of years; then they back off -- presumably, the older crowd (who are quite loyal listeners) complains. "What happened to my Hendrix?"  I'd welcome newer *good* modern-rock stuff, if that's what they intend. I remember back 8 or 9 years ago when Hayley was the Music Director, and they were going in a very Live 105-ish direction, playing stuff like the Dandy Warhols. But that faded away. What I don't want is Kid Rock or stuff like Nickleback's "Rock Star".  Now if they want to get rid of the Corrinne Colbie Feists that have grown like a fungus on their playlist -- THAT I'd applaud.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 22, 2008, 09:00:31 AM »
a post from a local radio/TV/newspaper blog, re: dave's retirement:

http://sfppc.blogspot.com/2008/10/kfogs-dave-morey-to-sign-off-dec-19.html

This specifically says Dave will be doing 10@10 "on tape" after he moves. Not a surprise, really, but that means no more live interaction on the phone. Guess BOS will become an announce-it-the-next-day thing, as it is on The Drive and 'BCO.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 22, 2008, 10:06:48 PM »
a post from a local radio/TV/newspaper blog, re: dave's retirement:

http://sfppc.blogspot.com/2008/10/kfogs-dave-morey-to-sign-off-dec-19.html

This specifically says Dave will be doing 10@10 "on tape" after he moves. Not a surprise, really, but that means no more live interaction on the phone. Guess BOS will become an announce-it-the-next-day thing, as it is on The Drive and 'BCO.

Whoever wrote that piece loses credibility when they say that Dave's been on Bay area radio for 39 years?!? That would mean since 1969? Nope, I think that's how long he's been in radio period. In reality he got here what, a year or so before KFOG switched to rock? So perhaps their assertion that 10@10 will be taped is just an assumption.

On the other hand, I could see his having to be at home for a couple of hours at midday, five days a week when he's supposed to be retired could get to be a pain in the arse. So who knows? At the very least I bet we hear a lot more "classic" 10@10s to allow him to take off for a few days whenever he gets the urge.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 24, 2008, 07:46:33 AM »
Kudos to the Foghead who won Request-O-Rama today and requested Brooooce's "Raise Your Hand" from the live box.  Nice.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 27, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »
From today's Foghead email, an opportunity to pay your respects to the retiring Dave Morey when he appears this Sat morn at Peet's Walnut Creek:
"KFOG Live From the Archives #15 goes on sale to the public this Sat, Nov 1, at Bay Area Peet's Coffee & Tea locations and online at KFOG.com.  Join KFOG DJ's for the CD Release at the stores below this Sat from 10am-12pm. Buy your CD, have them signed, and enter to win a KFOG Live From the Archives #1-14 mp3 collection:
Annalisa: 2600 Broadway, Redwood City
Big Rick Stuart: 1295 The Alameda, San Jose
Dave Morey: 1343 Locust Street, Walnut Creek
Peter Finch & Renee Richardson: 2257 Market Street, SF"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 30, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »
Last nite shortly before 10, Big Rick played AC/DC, "Highway to Hell". This morning in the 6am hour, Dave played Journey's "Wheel in the Sky".  Both are songs KFOG never used to play outside of 10@10.  Maybe KFOG's slogan should be "World Class Schlock".

I'm assuming AC/DC's new CD and the recent resurgence of Journey are factors here.  And yes, I've BOS'd AC/DC on occasion, but I wouldn't confuse either band with "World Class" anything. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 30, 2008, 11:07:12 AM »

"KFOG Live From the Archives #15 goes on sale to the public this Sat, Nov 1, at Bay Area Peet's Coffee & Tea locations and online at KFOG.com.  Join KFOG DJ's for the CD Release at the stores below this Sat from 10am-12pm. Buy your CD, have them signed, and enter to win a KFOG Live From the Archives #1-14 mp3 collection:

Peter Finch & Renee Richardson: 2257 Market Street, SF"

That's the Peet's in the Castro, methinks.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 30, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
Last nite shortly before 10, Big Rick played AC/DC, "Highway to Hell". This morning in the 6am hour, Dave played Journey's "Wheel in the Sky".  Both are songs KFOG never used to play outside of 10@10.  Maybe KFOG's slogan should be "World Class Schlock".

I'm assuming AC/DC's new CD and the recent resurgence of Journey are factors here.  And yes, I've BOS'd AC/DC on occasion, but I wouldn't confuse either band with "World Class" anything. 

I do like AC/DC, some times more than others.  I have to be in a certain mood for their brand of rock to click: my older bones can't thrash like they used to.
They certainly have a place in rock, esp the Bon Scott stuff.  It belongs on the Bone more than KFOG, at least according to their current respective demographic targets, but they're more world class rocky than, say Jason Mraz.  I'd put them in the RnRHoF for sure: They mastered the three-chords-plus-volume thing pretty well, sing about topics in an appropriately sleazy way and are one helluva dance band.   

rock on!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 30, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »

I do like AC/DC, some times more than others.  I have to be in a certain mood for their brand of rock to click: my older bones can't thrash like they used to.
They certainly have a place in rock, esp the Bon Scott stuff.  It belongs on the Bone more than KFOG, at least according to their current respective demographic targets, but they're more world class rocky than, say Jason Mraz.  I'd put them in the RnRHoF for sure: They mastered the three-chords-plus-volume thing pretty well, sing about topics in an appropriately sleazy way and are one helluva dance band.   

rock on!

DUUUUUUUUUUDE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 30, 2008, 12:20:32 PM »

rock on!

Joel Selvin once said that he preferred AC/DC to Led Zeppelin because at least AC/DC had a sense of humour.  I don't agree with that, but I certainly prefer AC/DC to Jason Mraz!  And they have a large enough fanbase to be considered world class, I would think.  Just depends upon how you define stuff.

Today, for New Music Thursday, they played a cut off the new AC/DC album, which I kinda half-heard while paying attention to work.  Sounded exactly like every other AC/DC song you have ever heard. 

8)
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 30, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »

rock on!

Joel Selvin once said that he preferred AC/DC to Led Zeppelin because at least AC/DC had a sense of humour.  I don't agree with that, but I certainly prefer AC/DC to Jason Mraz!  And they have a large enough fanbase to be considered world class, I would think.  Just depends upon how you define stuff.

Today, for New Music Thursday, they played a cut off the new AC/DC album, which I kinda half-heard while paying attention to work.  Sounded exactly like every other AC/DC song you have ever heard. 

8)

I half-heard it, too.  Yep, it sounded like it could've been recorded in 1977, except that Brian Johnson's voice is even more ravished than before.  no new ideas here, but why fix if it it ain't broke, as Benson, Dave, et al, said...?
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 31, 2008, 08:57:08 AM »
Did you see Dave's latest? http://www.kfog.com/shows/airstaff/dave_morey_blog.asp#drink

We should try a club holiday get together and make it geaographically convenient for Dave to join.
I still feel a hole in my being with him going.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 31, 2008, 09:00:47 AM »

rock on!

DUUUUUUUUUUDE!

You all know I still like to rock. I'll be at the AC/DC show Dec 2. Can hardly wait.
Sharks bleed teal.