Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1093542 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #870 on: October 17, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »
Dave's blog has details. Listeners are getting teary-eyed. "I'll miss your bedroom voice!"

http://www.kfog.com/shows/airstaff/dave_morey_blog.asp#masterplan

great pic of young Dave.

Holy crap. I'm....gobsmacked. Glad to hear 10@10 will continue, but have to wonder if he'll continue to do it in real time (with a T-1 line he certainly could), or they're going to be prerecorded. Hope it's the former.

ETA: Jeezus, I move out of SF and the whole place goes to hell... ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 09:43:15 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #871 on: October 17, 2008, 09:47:22 AM »
Alicat just called me to say she heard Dave Morey announce his retirement from the Morning Show effective Dec 19th.  He will carry on with the 10@10's, but nothing else.
a big hole in my soul. :'(
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 17, 2008, 09:48:25 AM »
I think this also means he has somewhat given up on the dating scene, can't imagine rural Michigan coming anywhere close to providing the same opportunities for Dave that Marin would.  And I'm pretty sure if he was in a relationship with someone who would move back to MI with him we'd have had some mention by now.

the internet, to a large extent, has changed that.  Long-term-relationships are always hard to find, but you can "hook up" anywhwere these days.

I thought Dave was in a LTR...?  I guess I don't listen as often as I thought.

Dave and Alejandro broke up ages ago, tho' they're still friends afaik
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 17, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »
This has really turned out to be a day of losses.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 17, 2008, 10:31:15 AM »
This has really turned out to be a day of losses.

Yeah, no kidding.

I'm trying to be happy for Dave, that he gets to retire at a relatively young age and enjoy life for a long time, one hopes.

Always knew this day would come, just figured it wouldn't be for a few years yet.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 17, 2008, 04:52:51 PM »
I think this also means he has somewhat given up on the dating scene, can't imagine rural Michigan coming anywhere close to providing the same opportunities for Dave that Marin would.  And I'm pretty sure if he was in a relationship with someone who would move back to MI with him we'd have had some mention by now.

the internet, to a large extent, has changed that.  Long-term-relationships are always hard to find, but you can "hook up" anywhwere these days.

A caller who knew the Michigan area was trying to ferret out exactly where Dave was moving to.  He joked that it was top secret, but that there was "a boy down the road to plow the fields" or somesuch.

Most likely a joke, but we only tune in/wake up around 8-9AM, so who knows, maybe it was a reference to something earlier in the morning.

But yah, we're so sad.  As I wrote to Dave, et al, when our oldest boy (4-yo) was 2, my wife was carrying him to the 2006 Live and Local appearance at Gordon Biersch.  As they approached, when he heard Dave's voice over the speakers, he said, "I'm home."

Yah, he and his brother (9-mo), listen to a *lot* of KFOG.  And Dave will be missed.

http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/XnLp5rOJ/1005252/2558153#imageID=42682328

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 17, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »
Alicat just called me to say she heard Dave Morey announce his retirement from the Morning Show effective Dec 19th.  He will carry on with the 10@10's, but nothing else.

Seems obvious that they'd promote from within since their deejays have such an established brand.  I vote for Big Rick, but it'll prob be Annalisa or Webster.

I know Tinka doesn't want it to be Annalisa, but I sure don't want it to be Webster.  And I can't imagine Rick being an interview-the-guests type of guy.

or a get-up-at-3am guy! LOL!

HA! you are so right.  Rick is a roll out of bed at noon sort of dude.  I did hear him interview Chris Issak last week, though, and their interaction was fantastic.  Then again, they seem to know each other and have some natural friendliness, and Chris Issak is a great interview anytime.

I don't think Big Rick would be as fun or get away with the same kind of stuff with, say, that Zem Joaquim lady (the Green maven from Marin).

That interview was hee-larious.  Especially funny when Chris and Kenny were talking (I think) about being afraid of Big Rick beating them up.  (I was imagining it was their reaction to his new WWE haircut/physique.)

But yeah, they clearly had some history, and they all started rattling off the names of various old SF nightclubs (the I-Beam?) etc.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at the interview, since Rick so rarely gets to do any.  But yeah, I imagine the schedule change would be pretty difficult.

I don't mind Webster, but I agree he might be an odd fit.  I wonder if Annalisa wants the morning slot.  Again, getting up at the crack of dawn has got to be pretty wearing on your schedule.

This is kind of an off-the-wall idea, but I think it would be a kick to have Rosalie in the morning slot.  I know not everyone here is a fan of her acoustic sunrise show, but she's got great interviewing chops.  And as my wife said, boy, Dave really stole the thunder out of this announcement that was buried in the last Foghead e-mail:

The entire KFOG family congratulates our Rosalie on her 25th anniversary at KFOG on Friday, October 17.  She's seen and done it all in her years here, and on behalf of all of the Fogheads that she's touched with her calm, compassionate connection to our radio community, we say, "Thank you."  Listen to Rosalie this weekend as she continues her KFOG legacy.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 05:03:38 PM by darryl »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 17, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 17, 2008, 09:35:30 PM »
This is kind of an off-the-wall idea, but I think it would be a kick to have Rosalie in the morning slot.  I know not everyone here is a fan of her acoustic sunrise show, but she's got great interviewing chops.  And as my wife said, boy, Dave really stole the thunder out of this announcement that was buried in the last Foghead e-mail:

The entire KFOG family congratulates our Rosalie on her 25th anniversary at KFOG on Friday, October 17.  She's seen and done it all in her years here, and on behalf of all of the Fogheads that she's touched with her calm, compassionate connection to our radio community, we say, "Thank you."  Listen to Rosalie this weekend as she continues her KFOG legacy.

Indeed, I was in the car this afternoon and heard Annalisa mention the Rosalie anniv. I like her a lot, always listened to Acoustic Sunrise before KPIG came to SF.

I also noted that I heard that Pretenders "Chinese Plastic" tune for the second time today around that time (apx 3:30pm; I also heard it during Dave's shift), so after a slow start it seems to have worked its way up to heavy(er) rotation.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 18, 2008, 10:01:40 AM »
Hard times at KFOG? Or just a computer glitch?

We usually get about 5 mins of commercials between the sets of a 10@10 Marathon; this morning the first couple of sets just rolled with barely a breather for a 30-second KFOG in-house promo. The sales dept cannot be pleased.

ETA: despite a lack of commercials earlier, we're just now (10:50) getting to the 5th set in the marathon (1978).  I woke up at 8:10 and heard the last song of the VT set -- a relatively short set, so if that was the first set, the marathon probably didn't start until 7:30. Guess maybe there *was* a computer snafu.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 10:57:53 AM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 18, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »

We usually get about 5 mins of commercials between the sets of a 10@10 Marathon; this morning the first couple of sets just rolled with barely a breather for a 30-second KFOG in-house promo. The sales dept cannot be pleased.

ETA: despite a lack of commercials earlier, we're just now (10:50) getting to the 5th set in the marathon (1978).  I woke up at 8:10 and heard the last song of the VT set -- a relatively short set, so if that was the first set, the marathon probably didn't start until 7:30. Guess maybe there *was* a computer snafu.
there seemed to be a jillion ads after the 84 set.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 18, 2008, 11:14:39 AM »

nope, the marathon started at 7 sharp.  I couldn't sleep, so I was going back and forth from KFRC's AT40 and KFOG all morning.

marathon order today
1978 (Mon)
64-73 VT (Tue)
1989 (Thu)
1973 (Fri)
1984 (Wed)

ETA:  Actually, they did screw up today: as mshray points out in the 1978 10@10 thread, they repeated the 1978 set as the sixth set. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:21:07 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 18, 2008, 11:20:59 AM »

ETA:  Actually, they did screw up today: as mshray points out in the 1978 10@10 thread, they repeated the 1978 set as the sixth set. 

Yeah I was just about to copy that comment over here.  Pretty sure this has never happened before.

Okay, this is weird.  I woke up rather early today (Sat) and turned on KFOG at about 7:20.  Heard the last 5 songs of this set.  Then came the Vertical Tasting (my 1st-grader now loves Doo Wah Diddy), then 1973, then 1989 (which Dave closed by saying, "Coming up, possibly the best set of the week"), and then 1984.  And then 1978 all over again, starting at around 10:40.  I had to sit down and review all the sets of the week, 'cause I thought I was losing my mind.  Nope, I'm not crazy.  They're playing 6 sets today.

Now, although they advertise the replay starting at 7, they often they don't start until closer to 7:20.  And as far as I can remember the whole thing always finishes after 11.  So having wrapped at 10:40 maybe they needed some filler.

Right now I'm hearing "Mr. Blue Sky" again, which was the first song I heard this morning.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 21, 2008, 07:41:20 AM »
Yikes, what an annoying way to start the day:  Just before 6, KFOG played "Sweet Home Alabama". Then Dave came on to say good morning and intro the news, and instead he played Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" (which samples Skynyrd & Zevon and is about Michigan). A number of callers complained and so half-an-hour later... he played it AGAIN.  More complaints. Dave thought it was hilarious. If you heard the clip of someone saying "Make it stop! Make it stop!" that was me (and I *never* call Dave).

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 21, 2008, 07:55:55 AM »
Yikes, what an annoying way to start the day:  Just before 6, KFOG played "Sweet Home Alabama". Then Dave came on to say good morning and intro the news, and instead he played Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" (which samples Skynyrd & Zevon and is about Michigan). A number of callers complained and so half-an-hour later... he played it AGAIN.  More complaints. Dave thought it was hilarious. If you heard the clip of someone saying "Make it stop! Make it stop!" that was me (and I *never* call Dave).
it was kind of funny in a sort of bad movie way.  Crazy DJ locks the station and plays the same song over and over again!  What I want to know is does Kid Rock give songwriting credits to Zevon and Skynyrd?