Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1078755 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #855 on: October 08, 2008, 10:33:57 AM »
anyone else hear the 9:00 Pop Quiz today?  The prize was 3rd row Santana seats, so the category was "Famous 3rds", as in 'Breakfast, Lunch & ...'

It took several callers to get through the whole thing, and one guy in the middle gave the following answer:

Renee: Peter, Greg & ...

Foghead: Dave

and after about 1.6 seconds of hemming and hawing, they disqualified him and the next caller said 'Bobby'.

I was driving and laughing as loud as I've laughed in some time.

that's funny, 'cause I woulda said Dave too, probably.

In the 6am hour they were giving away Buffett tix (Jimmy, not Warren) and you had to name your fave Buffett LP and then name as many songs from it as possible. One woman couldn't name a single album (then why do you want tickets, lady?).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
A Day in the life of the morning show
« Reply #856 on: October 13, 2008, 12:39:11 PM »
Just noticed a promo for this on the KFOG webpage front door carousel. A short video about how the morning starts for the guys on the Morning show. Kind of amusing. Go here:

http://www.kfog.com/default.asp#fogvision
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: A Day in the life of the morning show
« Reply #857 on: October 13, 2008, 04:02:30 PM »
Just noticed a promo for this on the KFOG webpage front door carousel. A short video about how the morning starts for the guys on the Morning show. Kind of amusing. Go here:

I didn't see any diff between Renee "before" and Renee "after". LOL! But I love that she really does blow that Sleep Train whistle.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: A Day in the life of the morning show
« Reply #858 on: October 14, 2008, 12:39:44 PM »

I didn't see any diff between Renee "before" and Renee "after". LOL! But I love that she really does blow that Sleep Train whistle.

Dave sorta snapped at Greg in that clip, didn't he?    ah, family dynamics...

~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 17, 2008, 08:32:57 AM »
Alicat just called me to say she heard Dave Morey announce his retirement from the Morning Show effective Dec 19th.  He will carry on with the 10@10's, but nothing else.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 17, 2008, 08:36:08 AM »
Alicat just called me to say she heard Dave Morey announce his retirement from the Morning Show effective Dec 19th.  He will carry on with the 10@10's, but nothing else.

Paging Webster?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 17, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »

Seems obvious that they'd promote from within since their deejays have such an established brand.  I vote for Big Rick, but it'll prob be Annalisa or Webster.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 17, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »
Dave's blog has details. Listeners are getting teary-eyed. "I'll miss your bedroom voice!"

http://www.kfog.com/shows/airstaff/dave_morey_blog.asp#masterplan

great pic of young Dave.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 08:51:45 AM by RGMike »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 17, 2008, 08:48:36 AM »

Seems obvious that they'd promote from within since their deejays have such an established brand.  I vote for Big Rick, but it'll prob be Annalisa or Webster.

I know Tinka doesn't want it to be Annalisa, but I sure don't want it to be Webster.  And I can't imagine Rick being an interview-the-guests type of guy.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 17, 2008, 08:52:23 AM »

I know Tinka doesn't want it to be Annalisa, but I sure don't want it to be Webster.  And I can't imagine Rick being an interview-the-guests type of guy.

or a get-up-at-3am guy! LOL!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 17, 2008, 09:03:01 AM »
Apparently Dave posted his pllans on his blog but I can't get to it yet. Selling his 2br in Novato too. I knew the day would come but I'm not ready.

eta:
the master plan, http://www.kfog.com/shows/airstaff/dave_morey_blog.asp#masterplan

Writing the first line of this – that’s the hardest part.
Let’s just jump into it and say:

I’m retiring.

Wait. That makes me sound really old.
Let’s try:

Dear Fogheads,
After much thought, I’ve decided….

Nope. That’s going to sound like we’re mad at each other.

How about this?
Memo format:

To: All
Re: The Master Plan.

It is time to announce my retirement…EVEN THOUGH I AM NOT THAT OLD.
My decision.
Last show for KFOG will be Friday, December 19th.

Here’s the deal:
I’ve been thinking about this for a couple years. Thanks to excellent planning and despite global collapse of the financial industry, I will be able to realize a dream I’ve had for a long time.

I’m leaving the Bay Area – returning to Michigan. It’s hard to explain to someone who’s not from there so I won’t even try. I think y’all know how I feel about the Midwest.

I’m pretty much done with radio although I will be doing 10@10 and other stuff for KFOG from the luxurious state-of-the-art home studio located on the 2nd floor loft of my lakefront villa.

Mostly though – I’m gonna watch the sun rise over a Great Lake, smoke cigarettes legally, read, bicycle, work at the library, explore the Upper, write, do some pirate radio, walk the beach, screen movies for friends, rake leaves, grow green beans, motorcycle, think about stuff, visit old friends, make new ones, shovel snow, take pictures, wait for thunderstorms, and….and…………

It’s been a great run. 26 years with KFOG. That’s something I’m very proud of and grateful for.

I’ve always been lucky that way.

The past few years…working with Peter and Greg and Renee. It’s the best. I will miss them. They are family. People say they love KFOG’s Morning Show because we sound like we really like each other. I’m telling you now – that ain’t no put-on. I think I can speak on behalf of my co-conspirators – we have a GREAT time. 4 people living and sharing totally different lifestyles and we are each so much richer for have knowing the others.

That’s my take on it.

And the others at KFOG?

The BEST!

Lots of smiles. Occasional drama too. I think I’m gonna miss that the most. Daily chats with Raquel and Joe and Karynann and Kelly and Benson and Sheri and Andrew and Steve and Kerry and Chuck and Special and Brian and….

THIS list could go on for pages and pages.

Let’s cut to:

Over the years I’ve worked with and learned from great talents at some of the bestest radio stations. The resume is pretty short compared to the average DJ. Not much bouncing around after the first 3 years.
WLAV, WSAI, WDAI….and KFOG.
Also: WAFT, WMAX, WZZM, WKTM, KSFX.
9 stations in 40 years of radio. Oh. Wait. WOAK, 89.3 FM—Dondero High School makes 10. And let’s not forget Cincinnati Community Station WAIF where I worked with John Zeh on the Gaydreams program. He’s the one who got in trouble though.

First commercial radio appearance: A 10th grade field trip to WWJ Detroit. DJ Morrie Carlson asked me to read some copy. I thought I’d flubbed it but after we broke for commercials, he said he thought I was pretty good. “Stay with it.” So I did. Got a job while in High School and summer of graduation, had to make a decision:

Go to college or take the full-time job at WAFT?

Hey - $1.60 an hour? I’ll take radio!

Geek Stuff:
I got to do top-of-the-hour legal IDs for WLS and WLW. Never worked for either but thanks to friends, my voice once E-nunciated:
“MusicRadio - WLS…Chicago”
and:
“This is WLW…Cincinnati, Ohio.”

I’ve worked every format (‘cept religious- I applied at WFUR but they took one look at my hair and said: “No openings”) Done: Top 40, MOR, Oldies, Country, AOR, Classic Rock, All-News, Disco, Urban….and most recently, AAA for the best of them all - KFOG.

I’ve worked public affairs and news.

I produced/engineered the Gospel Tones Hour. (live gospel music)
Ed & Joan’s Polka Show and Cita Musicale too.

Did traffic, continuity, production and even filled in for Sally (receptionist) at WSAI.

Been a MD and a PD.

Did mornings, middays, afternoons, evenings and….my favorite shift…overnights.

Once spent the night with ABC Broadcast Standards and Practices…and her husband.
Used to call the overnight jock at ZZM and win his contests.
Bev Bevans cruised me in the WSAI lobby.
KSFX on Polk Street just upstairs from the Giraffe – WELCOME TO SF!!!
And how about them Chocolate Chip Cookies at KFOG?

HooBoy. Too many stories----

Worked with board ops, record turners, producers. But always best – alone in the studio picking my own music and running my own board.

Proud to say: Done it all and loved almost every minute of it.

Favorite part of the job?
Running that control board. It’s like flying a plane - except nobody gets hurt when you crash. And I HAVE crashed!

But - to sit down, play music, talk one-on-one with listeners…and get paid for it - that is one fine job. And - yes….I can make comparisons. I’ve also worked as a house painter and movie theater popcorn boy/projectionist.

Lemme tell ya - Radio is the best.

And so….Thank You.

Fogheads and The Family at KFOG.

I hope you’ll miss me.

So – now it’s official.
Do me ONE favor. Between now and “last day” – let’s NOT get gooey.
Deal?

OK. Wanna see a picture?
Say “Yes!”

Larry took this back in….’72 was it? I thought it was a great shot but couldn’t talk the PD into using it. Me thinks he thought it was a little too….well, I’m not sure what he thought it was a little too of -

Anyway(s) – while I still have this forum, I want to share the picture and credit the photographer.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 09:05:03 AM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 17, 2008, 09:08:52 AM »
I think this also means he has somewhat given up on the dating scene, can't imagine rural Michigan coming anywhere close to providing the same opportunities for Dave that Marin would.  And I'm pretty sure if he was in a relationship with someone who would move back to MI with him we'd have had some mention by now.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 17, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »
I think this also means he has somewhat given up on the dating scene, can't imagine rural Michigan coming anywhere close to providing the same opportunities for Dave that Marin would.  And I'm pretty sure if he was in a relationship with someone who would move back to MI with him we'd have had some mention by now.

the internet, to a large extent, has changed that.  Long-term-relationships are always hard to find, but you can "hook up" anywhwere these days.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 17, 2008, 09:13:41 AM »

or a get-up-at-3am guy! LOL!

HA! you are so right.  Rick is a roll out of bed at noon sort of dude.  I did hear him interview Chris Issak last week, though, and their interaction was fantastic.  Then again, they seem to know each other and have some natural friendliness, and Chris Issak is a great interview anytime.

I don't think Big Rick would be as fun or get away with the same kind of stuff with, say, that Zem Joaquim lady (the Green maven from Marin).
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 17, 2008, 09:15:08 AM »

the internet, to a large extent, has changed that.  Long-term-relationships are always hard to find, but you can "hook up" anywhwere these days.

I thought Dave was in a LTR...?  I guess I don't listen as often as I thought.
~CPL593H~