Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1078888 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #720 on: January 15, 2008, 09:14:08 AM »
So yeah, here's what I was trying to record:

http://www.darryl.com/acousticluke.mp3

:-}

Good job, Mom and Dad!  So you had a doula, eh?  Nice.  Mazel tov!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 16, 2008, 08:32:22 PM »
Re: A to Z

I guess one thing that makes it "random" is that KFOG plays stuff that is typically *not* in their standard rotation.  Which frankly (of course) pisses me off, because if it makes the cut for A to Z, then why can't they play it whenever?

Some "surprising" cuts that I liked hearing:

Oasis -- All Around The World (I had forgotten what the rest of this song sounded like thanks to AT&T's incessant playing of only the title line for their jingle.)
Mindy Smith -- Come to Jesus
Steeley Dan -- Cousin Dupree (creepy cousin)
Pearl Jam -- Crazy Mary (live version -- just great)
Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels -- Devil with a Blue Dress (according to my records I guess they *do* pull this out every couple of months.  Odd.)
Ramones -- Do You Remember Rock and Roll?
Beatles -- Doctor Robert (wha?  I've never heard this before.  I actually happen to have an Uncle Robert who's an anaesthesiologist.)

So yeah, a more accurate promo would have been:

Big Rick -- "Yeah, what I like about A-to-Z is that we get to hear great songs that otherwise we would never play because according to a focus group it didn't appeal to the 25-40 male demo"
Dave Morey -- "You might get to hear one or two of those Frank Zappa tunes we pull out every once in a while to try and prove our 'indie cred' despite the fact that we almost never play them in normal rotation, lest we offend one of our precious advertisers."
Rosalie -- "A-to-Z lets us dig into the KFOG library and find great deeper tracks that we will play once a year and then carefully bury away, never to be heard again."

:P

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 16, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »

Oasis -- All Around The World (I had forgotten what the rest of this song sounded like thanks to AT&T's incessant playing of only the title line for their jingle.)
Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels -- Devil with a Blue Dress (according to my records I guess they *do* pull this out every couple of months.  Odd.)
Beatles -- Doctor Robert (wha?  I've never heard this before.  I actually happen to have an Uncle Robert who's an anaesthesiologist.)

The Mindy Smith is one of those that was in heavy rotation as a current and then disappeared completely. Ditto "Cousin Dupree".  Interesting that they played the Ramones tune during A-to-Z, since Dave included it in today's 1979 10@10. "Dr Robert", of course, gets played during Beatles A-to-Z too. It's a big Little Steven fave.

Today I got the "KFOG E-mail" and they were promoting a private concert with "emerging artist" Newton Faulkner:

I hereby declare a moratorium on white-boy dreadlocks!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 16, 2008, 09:26:05 PM »

The Mindy Smith is one of those that was in heavy rotation as a current and then disappeared completely. Ditto "Cousin Dupree".  Interesting that they played the Ramones tune during A-to-Z, since Dave included it in today's 1979 10@10. "Dr Robert", of course, gets played during Beatles A-to-Z too. It's a big Little Steven fave.

Today I got the "KFOG E-mail" and they were promoting a private concert with "emerging artist" Newton Faulkner:

I hereby declare a moratorium on white-boy dreadlocks!

Yeah, I'm already wishing he'd un-emerge.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 17, 2008, 09:20:50 AM »
Interesting that they played the Ramones tune during A-to-Z, since Dave included it in today's 1979 10@10.

Actually that was Rock & Roll High School in the '79 set. I'd love to hear Do You Remember Rock & Roll some time. Or Bonzo Goes to Bitburg.

Fully agree about the whiteboy dreads. Adam Duritz pretty much removed any vestige of cool they might have otherwise had.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 17, 2008, 09:26:52 AM »
Interesting that they played the Ramones tune during A-to-Z, since Dave included it in today's 1979 10@10.

Actually that was Rock & Roll High School in the '79 set. I'd love to hear Do You Remember Rock & Roll some time. Or Bonzo Goes to Bitburg.

Fully agree about the whiteboy dreads. Adam Duritz pretty much removed any vestige of cool they might have otherwise had.

Oops -- after posting that I realized it was "Do You remember..." that Little Steven played Sun nite (and called "one of the greatest records ever made") and so that explains my "end of the century" comment yesterday. I must've not had enuf coffee. ;) 

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 17, 2008, 09:30:08 AM »

Oops -- after posting that I realized it was "Do You remember..." that Little Steven played Sun nite (and called "one of the greatest records ever made") and so that explains my "end of the century" comment yesterday. I must've not had enuf coffee. ;) 

Actually that sounds like the kind of mis-remembering that I'd do (and have). Nice to have company--you stand out less in a crowd. :D
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 07, 2008, 10:38:35 AM »
I just completed the Foghead listener survey & to the question "Is there anything you'd liek to tell the program director? I replied:

"I wish Benson would listen to Little Steven every Sunday night on your sister station.  At least 4-5 times per year he previews a new song (for exampe Kaiser Chiefs last year) that it seems like it takes KFOG much longer to pick up on...if you pick up on it at all."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 07, 2008, 10:53:48 AM »
I just completed the Foghead listener survey & to the question "Is there anything you'd liek to tell the program director? I replied:

"I wish Benson would listen to Little Steven every Sunday night on your sister station.  At least 4-5 times per year he previews a new song (for exampe Kaiser Chiefs last year) that it seems like it takes KFOG much longer to pick up on...if you pick up on it at all."

Ha! I said *exactly that* the last time I filled out a KFOG listener thingy.  It's amazing how many of his "coolest Song of the Week"s sound like no-brainer KFOG adds but yet go ignored -- last year's Stooges reunion and NY Dolls reunion come to mind, but there have been many many others. KFOG *is* currently playing the Foxboro Hottubs (or at least they were), but that's the first one in a long time.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 12, 2008, 09:50:05 AM »
Has KFOG been playing Rilo Kiley's "Silver Lining" for long?  I quite liked that when I reviewed it for the Stylus Singles Jukebox last fall - it reminded me of Jackie DeShannon's "Vanilla Olay."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 12, 2008, 09:52:01 AM »
Has KFOG been playing Rilo Kiley's "Silver Lining" for long?  I quite liked that when I reviewed it for the Stylus Singles Jukebox last fall - it reminded me of Jackie DeShannon's "Vanilla Olay."

yes, they've been playing it endlessly, in fact. Does nothing for me.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 13, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »
yeesh, yet another for the Corinne Colbie Feist list: Yael Naim, "New Soul", which is also being heard on some commercial or other.  It's really beyond ridiculous at this point, how many of these soundalike women KFOG has on their playlist.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 13, 2008, 02:03:08 PM »
yeesh, yet another for the Corinne Colbie Feist list: Yael Naim, "New Soul", which is also being heard on some commercial or other.  It's really beyond ridiculous at this point, how many of these soundalike women KFOG has on their playlist.

That one won't be around for long.  It debuted in the Top 10 after being in an iPod ad, then left the Top 40 two weeks later.

So is KFOG playing any of the Shelby Lynne Dusty-covers album?  I'm really digging her take on "Anyone Who Had a Heart," but the rest is starting to wither for me.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 13, 2008, 02:19:31 PM »
So is KFOG playing any of the Shelby Lynne Dusty-covers album? 

Sadly, no. But funny you should mention it because there was an exchange on the Morning Show about KFOG and country the other day -- an artist whose name escapes me performed live and they were very bluegrassy; a Foghead wrote in and chastized KFOG for being maddeningly inconsistent regarding the genre. "You play something as country as that and yet you gave short shrift to the Dixie Chicks when they were trying to go mainstream".  Dave & Co denied the accusation, of course, and I had to laugh -- that Dixie Chicks song was in VERY light rotation at best.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 20, 2008, 03:51:09 PM »
So I happened to go to the KFOG site and the "Just Played" feature showed:

The Band, Chest Fever
The Dead, Good Lovin'
Ray Charles, Fever

um... think that mighta been a feverish My 3 Songs?