Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1093245 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3645 on: May 13, 2016, 08:05:18 AM »
Also saw something in one of the threads that they are advertising for an "executive producer" for the morning show. Now, they already have a producer (Greg), and local morning shows don't need an "exec" producer, usually. But a syndicated morning show would.  I suspect they're hoping to launch Pinfield's show into something national. Which, you may recall, was what they wanted to do with Twitch & Co... before that show crashed & burned.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: May 15, 2016, 04:12:58 PM »
So, anybody have any ideas about this "big announcement" Rosalie is making tomorrow?

My first thought was that a station like, say, The Coast, was picking up Acoustic Sunrise (they already air her Putumayo World Music show; it would've made sense).  But apparently Pinfield on Friday was flogging a "big announcement that would be of interest to longtime KFOG listeners" (the word "Foghead" is out the window, I guess). 

Could they really be bringing Rosalie back "by popular demand"? That would seem to go against everything they've done in the last 6 weeks, no? Are they gonna let her play CSNY and Dylan and all that geezer stuff? Why would she go back there after being dumped the way she and the others were?  And since we're told repeatedly that listening to KFOG is disloyal to AL et al... will some people's heads explode if Acoustic Sunrise really returns?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:40:13 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: May 16, 2016, 08:25:55 AM »
So, anybody have any ideas about this "big announcement" Rosalie is making tomorrow?

My first thought was that a station like, say, The Coast, was picking up Acoustic Sunrise (they already air her Putumayo World Music show; it would've made sense).  But apparently Pinfield on Friday was flogging a "big announcement that would be of interest to longtime KFOG listeners" (the word "Foghead" is out the window, I guess). 

Could they really be bringing Rosalie back "by popular demand"? That would seem to go against everything they've done in the last 6 weeks, no? Are they gonna let her play CSNY and Dylan and all that geezer stuff? Why would she go back there after being dumped the way she and the others were?  And since we're told repeatedly that listening to KFOG is disloyal to AL et al... will some people's heads explode if Acoustic Sunrise really returns?

Cat's out of the bag, and yes -- KFOG is bringing back Acoustic Sunrise on Sundays (6a-11a).  Curiouser and Curiouser.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: May 16, 2016, 08:42:42 AM »
Pinfield actually stressed that it will be "a new and expanded Acoustic Sunrise."

I can see "expanded" meaning that it will go past 11 to 12 (with apologies to Nigel Tufnel), but "new" makes me wonder about the approved playlist.  We will still get Dixie the Tiny Dog?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: May 16, 2016, 08:44:17 AM »
To follow up, I can only guess that this means the geniuses realized that there are a lot of people like me, who - in the absence of Acoustic Sunrise - simply do not turn their radio on at all on a Sunday morning.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:45:50 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: May 16, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »
Pinfield actually stressed that it will be "a new and expanded Acoustic Sunrise."

I can see "expanded" meaning that it will go past 11 to 12 (with apologies to Nigel Tufnel), but "new" makes me wonder about the approved playlist.  We will still get Dixie the Tiny Dog?

the announcement on the KFOG FB page says "Fresher and expanded". I suspect it means anything from before 1990 is considered "stale".  So none of that Dylan/CSNY geezer stuff.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »
To follow up, I can only guess that this means the geniuses realized that there are a lot of people like me, who - in the absence of Acoustic Sunrise - simply do not turn their radio on at all on a Sunday morning.

So this poses the question, if their Sunday AM numbers had to tank significantly enough for them to rethink and bring Rosalie back, how bad do things have to get during middays for them to give Annalisa a call?

At least *someone* got their job back.
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: May 16, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
Could they really be bringing Rosalie back "by popular demand"? That would seem to go against everything they've done in the last 6 weeks, no?

While this is true...most of what they’ve already done in the last 6 weeks has also gone against everything else they’ve done in the last 6 weeks. The regular regular playlist is, erm, ‘mellow’, so Acoustic Sunrise would not really be out of place.

Why would she go back there after being dumped the way she and the others were? 

While I’d be pissed and probably not go back if I was in her situation...she’s probably just happy that her listeners can hear her again. She does not seem like the type to cut off her nose to spite her face.

And since we're told repeatedly that listening to KFOG is disloyal to AL et al... will some people's heads explode if Acoustic Sunrise really returns?

Some people probably, but from most of the comments, listeners are happy she’s back and are saying they will only listen to her show and nothing else.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: May 16, 2016, 02:55:42 PM »
Could they really be bringing Rosalie back "by popular demand"? That would seem to go against everything they've done in the last 6 weeks, no?
While this is true...most of what they’ve already done in the last 6 weeks has also gone against everything else they’ve done in the last 6 weeks.

Just another indication that TPTB haven't a clue...

Why would she go back there after being dumped the way she and the others were? 
While I’d be pissed and probably not go back if I was in her situation...she’s probably just happy that her listeners can hear her again. She does not seem like the type to cut off her nose to spite her face.

The desirability of a steady paycheck, particularly for something you've already been doing for years,
is not to be underestimated.  However, my experience and that of a couple of friends is that a company
that lays you off once is very likely to do so again, and probably sooner than you would like.  Things are
probably different for an on-air personality in the broadcasting biz, but if it was an "ordinary" job, I'd
keep looking for another position.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: May 16, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »
Don't they teach this in business school? (don't ask me, I didn't attend)

Need to create buzz, but don't have any actual ideas? Then rebrand! Bring the old back in and pretend it's new!

Hadn't it already happened with Webster and Irish Greg in earlier regimes?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:56 PM »

Today's SFGate:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Acoustic-Sunrise-returns-to-KFOG-7496021.php

the "expanded" refers to the fact that the show will begin at 6 instead of 7. (Putumayo World Music previously preceded AS from 6 to 7). But yeah, he says "a lot less '60s/'70s/'80s".

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: May 18, 2016, 11:14:35 AM »
Quote from: RGMike
Funniest line of the week, in re: Pinfield's constant name-dropping - "He's like a star-fucker who doesn't actually get to fuck stars."

HA!

Re: Rosalie's return under a more constrained playlist, one keen reader of the SFGate article noted this on the Save KFOG! page:
Quote from: Dave Abston
Also got a kick out of this: "Schock said that Howarth will continue to program the show with the caveat that 'the music will skew a bit more into the now. There will be very little ’60s, ’70s and ’80s stuff'... 'I would never abandon one specific decade, but I look forward to freshening the sound while staying true to the spirit of the show,' Howarth said. 'There is lots of excellent unplugged music in every genre from every decade.'” So is she basically telling Schock to piss off? Pass the popcorn!

Re-reading the article -- yeah, it does seem like Howarth is directly flaunting Schock's (Cumulus's) mandate. Good for her! (Although this also could be creative reporting/editing to create conflict where there is none.)

Oh, this was posted to that page a few hours ago, and is perfect:
Quote from: Tim Basuino
The "new" KFOG: Where you can listen to songs Alice 97.3 stopped playing 15 years ago.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: May 18, 2016, 11:24:09 AM »
And file this under "The more things change, the more they stay the same" -- Pinfield and Greg did a segment about a new Dead tribute album curated by The National. Matt mentioned that Greg had interviewed the band (The National) about it, and after much fawning/pandering about how great The Dead are and how loyal their fans are and how much money they made last year, they played a small snippet of the interview. Sounded interesting enough. They listed off some of the bands on the album, Avett Brothers, War on Drugs ("great band out of Philadelphia", Pinfield had to throw in), and Courtney Barnett (which Pinfield was very excited about, with good reason -- she. is. awesome.)

Then, after an overly long explanation of how polarizing covers of beloved songs can be (you either love them or hate them - DUH), then deigned to play a snippet of War on Drugs' cover of "Touch of Grey". Like, 15 seconds.

Then they cut it off with "This has been Music News. Here's Coldplay."

AAACK. That's right. Because Music News cannot contain a full song. Because Coldplay *obviously* is not Music. Because god forbid that you fucking play any goddamn song that isn't on your computer generated, accountant-approved, consultant-generated playlist of songs that people will not switch away from because they're SAFE BORING VANILLA AND YOUR MOM LIKES THEM WEREN'T THEY ON THE SUPERBOWL?

Good lord Pinfield, if you're a real fan of music, then take some of the rope that they're clearly extending you by moving you to San Francisco and replacing beloved DJs and letting you run your mouth off about inside stories of rock stars you've met AND PLAY SOME FUCKING GOOD MUSIC. You seem to know what it is.

To wit: Pinfield's personal Facebook page includes links to Youtube videos he's presumably watched/enjoyed recently. They include respectably interesting tracks: "Love and Rockets' "No New Tale to Tell", Roxy Music's "Love Is The Drug", Lou Reed "Caroline Says I" (NTM because my Lou Reed knowledge is shallow), and Devo's "Girl U Want" (also new to me).

SO DUDE. PLAY THAT SHIT. Don't be a tool. Or ok, if you're going to be a tool, at least a be a tool that plays good music.
</rant>
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:32:43 AM by darryl »

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: May 18, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
Quote from: RGMike
Funniest line of the week, in re: Pinfield's constant name-dropping - "He's like a star-fucker who doesn't actually get to fuck stars."

HA!

Re: Rosalie's return under a more constrained playlist, one keen reader of the SFGate article noted this on the Save KFOG! page:
Quote from: Dave Abston
Also got a kick out of this: "Schock said that Howarth will continue to program the show with the caveat that 'the music will skew a bit more into the now. There will be very little ’60s, ’70s and ’80s stuff'... 'I would never abandon one specific decade, but I look forward to freshening the sound while staying true to the spirit of the show,' Howarth said. 'There is lots of excellent unplugged music in every genre from every decade.'” So is she basically telling Schock to piss off? Pass the popcorn!

Re-reading the article -- yeah, it does seem like Howarth is directly flaunting Schock's (Cumulus's) mandate. Good for her! (Although this also could be creative reporting/editing to create conflict where there is none.)

Oh, this was posted to that page a few hours ago, and is perfect:
Quote from: Tim Basuino
The "new" KFOG: Where you can listen to songs Alice 97.3 stopped playing 15 years ago.

Well, I do have a well-received line every now and then.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: May 19, 2016, 11:39:08 AM »
A pretty good analysis of KFOG's history...

http://www.playlistresearch.com/article/kfog.htm