Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1094801 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3405 on: February 19, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »
Nay-Nay began a long weekend today; she's back East for her folks' 50th Wedding anniv.  So the morning show was just a NoName & Greg testosterone-fest.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: February 19, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »
Nay-Nay began a long weekend today; she's back East for her folks' 50th Wedding anniv.  So the morning show was just a NoName & Greg testosterone-fest.

...but they actually spent almost the whole show making fun of Greg, to the point where some gal called in to say that NoName was bullying him, and Greg had to say that he was in on it, and he could take it.

Pretty low testosterone if ask me.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: February 22, 2015, 03:28:35 PM »
Tuned in to KFOG around 2:15pm today and heard AL working today (Sunday).  Was she filling in for someone, or is this a regular thing?
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: February 22, 2015, 03:36:56 PM »
Tuned in to KFOG around 2:15pm today and heard AL working today (Sunday).  Was she filling in for someone, or is this a regular thing?

I think everyone works 6 shifts a week most of the time -- she filled in for Rosalie on Acoustic Sunrise last weekend.  Renee would often be heard on weekends too. Now that they have 2 extra voices in the mix (NoName and Greg) maybe everyone catches a break.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: February 25, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »
Listening today for the first time since they started broadcasting from the new studios, and I noted that the audio quality for the stream sounded a bit more treble-y and harsh than I recall it sounding from the old digs. Anyone else (that listens regularly via the stream) have similar observations? Hoping it's just  another thing that still needs to be dialed in.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
Hearing quite a bit of sibilance on the stream this am. The engineers still have some tweaking to do, it would seem.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: March 04, 2015, 12:16:29 PM »
Talk about parity: on the episode of Mind the Gap that I heard this morning, the "geezer" didn't know who Stephen Colbert was, and the "hipster" couldn't identify Bob Hope. Nice to know *everybody's* stupid.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: March 05, 2015, 09:11:59 AM »
For the first time in two weeks, since they threw the switch to jump from Hawthorne St. to the new Battery studios, my streaming player shows a song that's not It's The End Of The World As We Know It. Progress is being made!!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: March 05, 2015, 09:29:19 PM »
Irish Greg said something about how KGO were getting ready to "go live" form *their* new studio in that building and suddenly realized -- minutes before airtime -- that they had no microphones...

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: March 06, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »
Irish Greg said something about how KGO were getting ready to "go live" form *their* new studio in that building and suddenly realized -- minutes before airtime -- that they had no microphones...

D'oh!! I can picture the pandemonium that revelation must have caused. Wonder if they were able scrounge up a couple, or if they had to postpone the handoff until someone could run some over from Hawthorne St.? (Guessing they were able to borrow a cupful of Shure from one of the neighbors...)
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: March 10, 2015, 09:46:14 AM »
9:45 and we're hearing the Go-Gos' Head Over Heels. Now *that's* out of left field. Not sure it's ever even appeared on 10@10.

ETA: But of course, it has. Once as TOTHK in 2011 and prior to that one instance as a bonus track in 2009, back when those were a thing.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:51:30 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: March 10, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »
9:45 and we're hearing the Go-Gos' Head Over Heels. Now *that's* out of left field. Not sure it's ever even appeared on 10@10.

ETA: But of course, it has. Once as TOTHK in 2011 and prior to that one instance as a bonus track in 2009, back when those were a thing.

Maybe they're realizing how SICK people are of hearing the same 30 or 40 '80s classics over and over and over -- seriously, half a dozen Police hits, plus "Sweet Dreams", "Here Comes the Rain", "Tainted Love", "Shout" and the usual Bowie tracks show up daily and are  beyond tired. I know folks have posted about it on the KFOG FB page.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: March 10, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »

Maybe they're realizing how SICK people are of hearing the same 30 or 40 '80s classics over and over and over -- seriously, half a dozen Police hits, plus "Sweet Dreams", "Here Comes the Rain", "Tainted Love", "Shout" and the usual Bowie tracks show up daily and are  beyond tired. I know folks have posted about it on the KFOG FB page.

Don't overlook RHCP's "Under The Bridge" and oddly enough Duran Duran's "Ordinary World".   Seriously, even my kids (who only listen to KFOG when they have to be in the car with me), have commented on the former.  They like it to be sure, but if a 15-year-old thinks something is overplayed, that tells you A LOT.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: March 10, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »

Don't overlook RHCP's "Under The Bridge" and oddly enough Duran Duran's "Ordinary World".   Seriously, even my kids (who only listen to KFOG when they have to be in the car with me), have commented on the former.  They like it to be sure, but if a 15-year-old thinks something is overplayed, that tells you A LOT.

indeed -- not to mention lots and lots of Petty. But mid-'80s seems to be the sweet spot; they don't seem to play nearly as much Dave Matthews as they did 6 months ago. But I mostly hear early mornings and a little bit of late afternoon when I'm in the car going to/from the gym.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: March 10, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »

indeed -- not to mention lots and lots of Petty. But mid-'80s seems to be the sweet spot; they don't seem to play nearly as much Dave Matthews as they did 6 months ago. But I mostly hear early mornings and a little bit of late afternoon when I'm in the car going to/from the gym.

I used to think there was maybe a little difference between M-F prime time and "Your Weekend KFOG", but basically that it was really little more than a tag line.   

But I've come to believe that it's actually a whole different play list.  Just a couple moths ago (& I remember specifically when it was & where I was headed as I was out running errands in Livermore between dropping off and picking up my kids from piano lessons), they played Stone Roses "Fool's Gold" in it's 10 minute entirety (!?) around 1:30 on a Saturday.  I'd never heard that (full length) on the radio ever.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:20:16 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010