Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1095168 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2715 on: May 13, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »
So, what can we expect Monday morning at 6 when A-to-Z begins?

Will Greg Gory be flying solo?  Will the Mornings be jockless/voice-tracked for the next 2 weeks, with Gory there to do traffic only? And lots of promos for The Morning After, "coming soon"?  If *I* were DC, I'd have everybody there live tomorrow -- himself, Renee, AL, Dred -- to make the kickoff of A-to-Z an "event" rather than a placeholder (even if it IS a placeholder). But he's never taken my advice before.  ;)

A couple of predictions: if KFOG really does flip to full-blown alt, then obviously 10@10 would be toast. (And maybe the Bone would start doing a heavily playlisted, Drive/Sound-style version of their own?) But even if they don't, I suspect that '60s and '70s sets may disappear very soon. It's clear that the demos have not gotten as young as Cumulus would like; too many of us old farts still listening (and bitching about the changes to boot). DC has been in charge for a year now so they're forcing his hand. Somethin's gotta give.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:23:20 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: May 13, 2012, 06:36:25 PM »

Will Greg Gory be flying solo?  Will the Mornings be jockless/voice-tracked for the next 2 weeks, with Gory there to do traffic only? And lots of promos for The Morning After, "coming soon"?  If *I* were DC, I'd have everybody there live tomorrow -- himself, Renee, AL, Dred -- to make the kickoff of A-to-Z an "event" rather than a placeholder (even if it IS a placeholder). But he's never taken my advice before.  ;)

A couple of predictions: if KFOG really does flip to full-blown alt, then obviously 10@10 would be toast. (And maybe the Bone would start doing a heavily playlisted, Drive/Sound-style version of their own?) But even if they don't, I suspect that '60s and '70s sets may disappear very soon. It's clear that the demos have not gotten as young as Cumulus would like; too many of us old farts still listening (and bitching about the changes to boot). DC has been in charge for a year now so they're forcing his hand. Somethin's gotta give.
So stressful.
Sharks bleed teal.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: May 13, 2012, 09:20:13 PM »
From Dave Morey himself (or someone pretending to be):

ForTheRecord-

KFOG was ALWAYS consulted. First - by Lee Abrams...the A-Hole who concocted the Superstars format. An interesting idea that kinda worked - but when we in SF started tinkering with his master plan - to humanize and localize it - he turned into a total turd.

Salvadore (sales) DESTROYED the original concept- took it to "Classic Rock." Blecch. We bottomed out.
Then - Pat Evans as PD - Heavy Metal Ballads. KFOG almost died.
Enter Dwight Walker as new GM - and the Rebirth of KFOG as a hybrid Triple A station - consulted by John Bradley (SBR) where we earned and enjoyed our greatest success as an intelligent, full-service radio station. Under Program Directors Greg Solk, later Paul Marszelek and then Dave Bensen, KFOG became part of the community. A rare privilege that every radio station dreams of. All of us working overtime to provide an alternative to sophomoric low-brow predictable typical CRAP radio.
Our dream was to become a station that all of San Francisco could turn to as a voice that truly reflected the Bay Area. We were that...for a while. We were proud of the product and our parent company, Susquehanna, appreciated our work.

Dwight Walker, Jude Heller, Bill Ruck, and the people whose names you know - Rosalie, Annalisa, Renee, Peter, Big Rick and lots more I wish I could rattle off now ----

Hey - Greg - Webster. Sorry you guys couldn't get out earlier so you wouldn't be forever connected with KFOG-past.
BUT - Know that is good - to have KFOG (a GREAT radio station) on your resume. And - if you wanna do a show on WTF...lemme know.

-Dave Morey

PS - With very few exceptions, terrestrial radio is dead and rightfully so. Somewhere along the way it turned into real estate.

BUT - if-I-may...speaking on behalf of those who were lucky enough to be there while it still welcomed and appreciated creativity,

GOOD JOB!!!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: May 13, 2012, 09:38:24 PM »

ForTheRecord-

KFOG was ALWAYS consulted...

Wow.  Excellent.

and in case ypu missed it someone replied to his post and he in turn replied with this URL:

http://www.879harrisville.com/

which is the home of his "WTF" radio -- will investigate more tomorrow when i have time to listen.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: May 13, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »

ForTheRecord-

Wow.  Excellent.

and in case ypu missed it someone replied to his post and he in turn replied with this URL:

which is the home of his "WTF" radio -- will investigate more tomorrow when i have time to listen.

Yes, that sounds like him.  I'll be checking out the site/stream when I can.  I suppose one could listen over the air if you were close enough, and incidentally there's a local pirate station at that same frequency --87.9 -- right here in SF.  That also used to be the freq of Pirate Cat radio. Seems like all the pirates hang out there.   
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:19:05 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: May 14, 2012, 12:39:01 AM »

ForTheRecord-

Wow.  Excellent.

Yes, that sounds like him.  I'll be checking out the site/stream when I can.  I suppose one could listen over the air if you were close enough, and ncidentally there a local pirate station at that same frequency --87.9. -- right here in SF.  That also used to be the freq of Pirate Cat radio. Seems like all the pirates hang out there.

Agreed, that reads like one of his blog entries from the days when KFOG jocks had blogs. I will be curious to hear a bit of what's going on there. I looked thru the schedule, and the only thing that jumped out at me was that Ben Fong-Torres has a show on Mondays at 8:55am.

(Is Michigan in the central or eastern timezone?)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: May 14, 2012, 08:01:22 AM »

Will Greg Gory be flying solo? 

the answer to that question is "yes".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: May 14, 2012, 08:29:19 AM »
And it's official: 10@10 "on hiatus" for the next 2 weeks of A-to-Z. Blorf.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2723 on: May 14, 2012, 10:25:17 AM »
The decontamination of KFOG continues...
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: May 15, 2012, 10:28:50 PM »

ForTheRecord-

Wow.  Excellent.

Anyone had occasion to check out WTF yet? I hit the play button last night, but they weren't on the air and don't have any automated content to fill in the off hours, so all I got was static. Looks like some of the jocks have posted audio files of their shows though.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: May 16, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »

ForTheRecord-

Wow.  Excellent.

Anyone had occasion to check out WTF yet? I hit the play button last night, but they weren't on the air and don't have any automated content to fill in the off hours, so all I got was static. Looks like some of the jocks have posted audio files of their shows though.
Where was the "dave" post?  Static in the air now. From the DJ/Shows link, which might Dave's be?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:05:48 AM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: May 16, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: May 18, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
per a post on the radio-info.com SF thread: the "Tony" of the new KFOG "Morning After" is Tony Longo, aka Twitch of Kramer and Twitch, low-rent shock-jocks who have been fired and hired a number of times in the past decade. (They did an infamous Britney Spears death hoax in Dallas, were fired and ended up in Detroit.) Also worked briefly at KSJO a dozen years ago, most recenly on the air in Lexington, KY.  This does *not* sound promising, either for quality listening or for the possible future of the KFOG format. Yeesh.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: May 18, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »
per a post on the radio-info.com SF thread: the "Tony" of the new KFOG "Morning After" is Tony Longo, aka Twitch of Kramer and Twitch, low-rent shock-jocks who have been fired and hired a number of times in the past decade. (They did an infamous Britney Spears death hoax in Dallas, were fired and ended up in Detroit.) Also worked briefly at KSJO a dozen years ago, most recenly on the air in Lexington, KY.  This does *not* sound promising, either for quality listening or for the possible future of the KFOG format. Yeesh.

oh my lord in heaven, that f*****' sucks. 

I despise phony phone calls -- unless they were being done in the golden years by Stuttering John or some other Stern miscreant. (What can I say?  I'm a Stern fan.)  Don Bleu does them and they are painfully mediocre.  Lamont and Toe-Nail-y do them and they feel very fake and are a completely wast of time.  I always turn them off.  Let's hope they don't go that tired route. 

ETA: CS on FB brings up a good point: If this is true, and he's coming over as "Tony" and not "Twitch," perhaps he's turning over some new on-air persona leaves and will be fairly decent...?  let's hope.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:26:24 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: May 18, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »

oh my lord in heaven, that f*****' sucks. 

I despise phony phone calls -- unless they were being done in the golden years by Stuttering John or some other Stern miscreant. (What can I say?  I'm a Stern fan.)  Don Bleu does them and they are painfully mediocre.  Lamont and Toe-Nail-y do them and they feel very fake and are a completely wast of time.  I always turn them off.  Let's hope they don't go that tired route. 

ETA: CS on FB brings up a good point: If this is true, and he's coming over as "Tony" and not "Twitch," perhaps he's turning over some new on-air persona leaves and will be fairly decent...?  let's hope.

It is certainly... possible. But I'm a cynic and I'm very skeptical. I'm picturing Gory on the Right and this Melanie person on the touchy-feely Left and "Tony" in the middle as the wise-guy referee.