Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1095717 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #990 on: December 16, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »
BTW, I see no mention of "Blackberry" on KFOG's New Releases page. But they are playing a cover of "Fat man in the Bathtub" by (gawd help us) Dave Matthews with Little Feat.

It's part of a show on ABC stations called Fame Games. They listed The SJ KFOG call letters (but not the SF ones) on their page that lists stations taking part.

Hmmm. Seems weird that one of the KFOG frequencies would be an ABC affiliate but not the other. Still, if they say so....

they're an ABC affiliate for this show only. I'm guessing it airs in the middle of the night.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 16, 2008, 02:45:48 PM »
Annalisa just tipped listeners to this article about Dave's departure.  Some interesting tidbits.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 16, 2008, 03:07:08 PM »
Annalisa just tipped listeners to this article about Dave's departure.  Some interesting tidbits.

they mentioned that one this morning as well as this one from the SJ Merc:

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainmentheadlines/ci_11220773?nclick_check=1

this one says Webster will host the Morning Show "for the time being"... and I love this bit about 10@10:

If you're already a fan of the segment — a collection of pop songs, vintage radio jingles, and news and pop-culture snippets that Morey skillfully produces in real time, all while taking feedback from listeners — just wait until it gets his undivided attention.

"I'll tell you one thing: The shows are going to be really, really, really, really good, because it's the only thing I'm going to be doing," says Morey, an unapologetic music and radio geek. "I love doing that show, and it pisses me off sometimes that I don't have really enough time to prepare it and think it out ahead of time. So I'm really jazzed."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:09:05 PM by RGMike »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 16, 2008, 03:38:58 PM »

they mentioned that one this morning as well as this one from the SJ Merc:

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainmentheadlines/ci_11220773?nclick_check=1

this one says Webster will host the Morning Show "for the time being"... and I love this bit about 10@10:

If you're already a fan of the segment — a collection of pop songs, vintage radio jingles, and news and pop-culture snippets that Morey skillfully produces in real time, all while taking feedback from listeners — just wait until it gets his undivided attention.

"I'll tell you one thing: The shows are going to be really, really, really, really good, because it's the only thing I'm going to be doing," says Morey, an unapologetic music and radio geek. "I love doing that show, and it pisses me off sometimes that I don't have really enough time to prepare it and think it out ahead of time. So I'm really jazzed."

That's what he told me & Wayback when we got his autograph on our LFTA's in Walnut Creek.

and here's another write-up from the Marin Independent-Journal
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 16, 2008, 11:25:39 PM »
Hey, anybody roll tape on the last couple of morning shows?

I'm going to be out of town Thu-Sun, so I've set up ye olde Mac to try and record from 5:55AM-11:15AM tomorrow through Friday and then pickup the 10@10 marathon on Saturday morning.

Hopefully it'll work, and I'll throw the MP3s up somewhere for anybody interested.

But it'd be nice to hear some of the goodbye interviews like with Raquel this morning and whatever the name of the woman who was on yesterday who has to type up the 10@10 lists each week.  It was nice stuff.

--Darryl

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 17, 2008, 07:59:28 AM »
Hey, anybody roll tape on the last couple of morning shows?

I'm going to be out of town Thu-Sun, so I've set up ye olde Mac to try and record from 5:55AM-11:15AM tomorrow through Friday and then pickup the 10@10 marathon on Saturday morning.

Hopefully it'll work, and I'll throw the MP3s up somewhere for anybody interested.

But it'd be nice to hear some of the goodbye interviews like with Raquel this morning and whatever the name of the woman who was on yesterday who has to type up the 10@10 lists each week.  It was nice stuff.

--Darryl

Greg says they'll be posting a 'scoped version (without songs or commercials) of Friday's show on the website early next week.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #996 on: December 17, 2008, 08:45:35 AM »
any statement on when we find out Dave's replacement?  [Geoff shudders at the possibilities]
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 17, 2008, 08:49:47 AM »
any statement on when we find out Dave's replacement?  [Geoff shudders at the possibilities]

they're keeping mum (as it should be, this week is all about Dave) and I'm guessing no announcement until after New Year's. But apparently we'll be treated to Webster for a couple of weeks ::)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 17, 2008, 08:52:25 AM »

they're keeping mum (as it should be, this week is all about Dave) and I'm guessing no announcement until after New Year's. But apparently we'll be treated to Webster for a couple of weeks ::)

Which probably means it ain't Annalisa. (Sound of much rejoicing in the Tinka household)
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 17, 2008, 08:55:35 AM »
Please note that the old player doesn't work any more.  The KFOG website is completely revamped and launches a different player.  I'm thinking it sounds better than the old one, but haven't heard much music to evaluate it.  Also, it doesn't quite work on Firefox.  It plays, but I can't adjust the volume.  Apparently you need a plugin which I may not have.  So there.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 17, 2008, 09:10:27 AM »
Please note that the old player doesn't work any more.  The KFOG website is completely revamped and launches a different player.  I'm thinking it sounds better than the old one, but haven't heard much music to evaluate it.  Also, it doesn't quite work on Firefox.  It plays, but I can't adjust the volume.  Apparently you need a plugin which I may not have.  So there.

It's been buffering a bit this morning, too, which it hadn't done before this.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 17, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »
another 9:00 Pop Quiz, another rant about how stupid Fogheads are. Jeez, if you can't guess Andrew Lloyd Webber from these clues:

"Ho-sanna-hey-sanna-sanna-sanna-ho"
"Don't Cry For Me Argentina"
"I Don't Know How to Love Him"
"Memory... all alone in the moonlight..."

then you've lived in a cave for the last 35 years.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 17, 2008, 09:27:22 AM »
Webster's making an appearance right now (he's from Michigan too). What a suck-up!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 17, 2008, 09:30:23 AM »
Webster's making an appearance right now (he's from Michigan too). What a suck-up!

And they're tippy-toeing around the fact that he's gonna replace Dave without quite actually saying it. Oy vey.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 17, 2008, 09:34:58 AM »
Aw, I listened to Webster on Alice, and I don't find him so bad.  OTOH, I'm about 10 years younger than most of y'all, right?   ;-}

I called in a few months ago when I first heard him on KFOG (I'd missed his earlier slots) and he was very friendly, forthcoming about the move, about what happened to Mike Powers (moved down to L.A.), and happy about being at KFOG.

But yeah, he's no Dave.  Whatchagonnado?

Speaking of commercials... I hope my taping catches what is by far the worst commercial I've ever heard on KFOG.  It's the "12 days of Christmas" but people are getting things like 3 potato chips, and 7 sliced up pieces of hot dog.  It's so earnestly done, I thought it was a joke, and then the voiceover comes on and it's a commercial for the SF Food Bank or somesuch.  The listener immediately feels like a shmuck for laughing at the opening.  Super-annoying spot.