Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1093235 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2005, 09:40:12 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
the winner of the "get a celebrity to call"contest was William Windom of Farmer's Daughter, My World & Welcome To It and Murder She Wrote. Rcognized his voice immediately.  Glad to know he's still alive!

Really? Wow, that's an obscure one, but very cool most certainly. I def. remember My World & Welcome To It--the show was based on the work of James Thurber & he played a Thurberesque character, and the show would lapse into animation combined with live action stuff. Rather ahead of its time, but as you'd expect, people thought it was weird and the show didn't last more than a couple of seasons (nowadays it would be gone in 6 weeks).

I also recall the show because it was the first appearance of Lisa Gerritsen, upon whom I had an adolescent crush (she later played Cloris Leachman's daughter Beth on the Mary Tyler Moore show).

ETA: who were some of the other celebrities? And did William Windom know who Robert Plant was?
Let's get right to it.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2005, 09:46:59 AM »
I googled his image, and found that he was also Commodore Mathew Decker in the classic Star Trek ep "The Doomsday Machine."

One of the few actors who actually chewed MORE scenery than Shatner. They, like, fed each other pieces of the set in every scene like a bride & groom at the reception. Freaking. Awesome.

Decker: I... I beamed the crew off the ship... down to the planet...

Kirk: (stunned) The planet's. Gone. Matt.

Decker: DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW THAT!!!!

So cool. His death scene is great, too (oh, c'mon. I didn't ruin it. You'd have figured it out). I also liked that Decker looked like he'd been drinking all weekend.
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2005, 09:50:14 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
the winner of the "get a celebrity to call"contest was William Windom of Farmer's Daughter, My World & Welcome To It and Murder She Wrote. Rcognized his voice immediately.  Glad to know he's still alive!

Really? Wow, that's an obscure one, but very cool most certainly. I def. remember My World & Welcome To It--the show was based on the work of James Thurber & he played a Thurberesque character, and the show would lapse into animation combined with live action stuff. Rather ahead of its time, but as you'd expect, people thought it was weird and the show didn't last more than a couple of seasons (nowadays it would be gone in 6 weeks).

I also recall the show because it was the first appearance of Lisa Gerritsen, upon whom I had an adolescent crush (she later played Cloris Leachman's daughter Beth on the Mary Tyler Moore show).

ETA: who were some of the other celebrities? And did William Windom know who Robert Plant was?

there was a woman claiming to be Holly Hunter; Dave thought she was a fake but Peter disagreed.  MW&WTI was awonderful show -- NBC cancelled it after one season (even tho' it won the Best Comedy Emmy) and CBS picked it up for one more year. As I've said many times, it's great lost shows like that, that TVLand should make a point of showing -- maybe one night a week, late in the evening.  Before HA! and the Comedy Channel merged to form Comedy Central, they used to show stuff like Captain Nice and Occasional Wife.

And speaking of Thurber, they're doing a remake of Secret Life of Walter Mitty... with Owen Wilson.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2005, 09:55:47 AM »
And speaking of Thurber, they're doing a remake of Secret Life of Walter Mitty... with Owen Wilson.

Now that's a film that deserves to be remade, if only because it's long out of the public's attention (unlike Starsky & Hutch, Bewitched, The Love Bug, and all the other unnecessary Hollywood retreads of late). Hope they stay true to the spirit of the original. It would give Wilson a chance to stretch a bit, too.
Let's get right to it.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2005, 09:56:23 AM »
Lovin your new avatar, RGMike! Leeeemiwinks... Lemiwinks!
nakes? On my plane?

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2005, 10:01:17 AM »
It would give Wilson a chance to stretch a bit, too.

Buckaroo Beej's Dirt Dossier on Owen Wilson

Known Aliases: The Butterscotch Stallion, That Guy In Those Crappy Ben Stiller Movies

Freakiest Rumour to Date: Met a woman at a friend's wedding reception- brought her back to hotel room- licked her butt for hours

Note to above: Rumour surfaced a few weeks ago on the Defamer website. Wedding Crashers opens today. Now that's going all out to promote a movie...
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2005, 10:55:32 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Now that's a film that deserves to be remade, if only because it's long out of the public's attention (unlike Starsky & Hutch, Bewitched, The Love Bug, and all the other unnecessary Hollywood retreads of late). Hope they stay true to the spirit of the original. It would give Wilson a chance to stretch a bit, too.

I was a HUGE Danny kaye fan when I was, like, 10.  No wonder I'm gay!

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2005, 10:59:38 AM »
I was a HUGE Danny kaye fan when I was, like, 10. No wonder I'm gay!

Hell, with as much Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Reilly exposure I received as a boy via their many appearences on kid's shows & cartoons- it's a wonder I'm not gay as well.

Of course, I've done the next best thing: gone into show biz...
nakes? On my plane?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Request-O-Rama-O-Rama
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2005, 08:55:15 AM »
It's R-O-R-O-R day today on the Morning Show.  The last guy to win before I arrived at my desk for the Drive's 10@10 requested "Dixie Chicken". Good on ya, Mate!

been a year since she went away...
...guess that guitar player sure could play...
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Request-O-Rama-O-Rama
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2005, 09:10:14 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
It's R-O-R-O-R day today on the Morning Show.  The last guy to win before I arrived at my desk for the Drive's 10@10 requested "Dixie Chicken". Good on ya, Mate!

been a year since she went away...
...guess that guitar player sure could play...

oh the R-O-R-O-R... the R-O-R-O-R!!!

in the 6 o'clock hour a woman requested U2... and Dave asked "Old U2?  new U2?" and she said "Old U2... y'know, something from Joshua Tree."

Dave (rather dejectedly, he was clearly psyched for something like "I Will Follow"): "Joshua Tree??? that's medium U2, m'am..."

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2005, 09:28:12 AM »
nobody requested it, but they just played "Radio Free Europe".

Front row tix for Percy if ya coulda named all 9 Bay Area counties.  Took about 6 or 7 callers.  I coulda done them clockwise from the GG Bridge, but couldn't get thru.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2005, 10:03:05 AM »
On my way to the ferry this morning, Dave had a little trouble with the name Fatty Arbuckle, obviously unintentionally (the kind of thing Lamont and Tonelli would do intentionally).  It cracked Peter and Renee and Greg up, though Dave was obviously embarrassed by it.  Took him a little bit to get over it...

he said "farty", heh heh...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2005, 10:05:45 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
On my way to the ferry this morning, Dave had a little trouble with the name Fatty Arbuckle, obviously unintentionally (the kind of thing Lamont and Tonelli would do intentionally).  It cracked Peter and Renee and Greg up, though Dave was obviously embarrassed by it.  Took him a little bit to get over it...

he said "farty", heh heh...

Farty Assbuckle! now THAT's comedy!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2005, 07:41:53 AM »
Mr Plant is on KFOG -- stuff recorded in the "Play space" the other day.

He said he's 56... which means he was 20 when he recorded "Whole Lotta Love". Amazing.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2005, 07:58:51 AM »
Heard something last night that pleased me: DJ Harry, "Collision."  It flashed me right back to halcyon 1997, the last great gasp of modern-rock radio, when I heard Sneaker Pimps' "6 Underground" and Portishead's "Nobody Loves Me" (wrong title, but that's how everyone knows it) for the first time.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”