Author Topic: The Rant and Vent about the LEFT Wing thread...  (Read 19472 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Rant and Vent about the LEFT Wing thread...
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 09:25:28 PM »
Couldn't decide where to put this, but pretty big news: Gavin Newsom has pulled out of the Governor's race, leaving Jerry Brown the only Dem  -- even if he hasn't officially declared himself. (Jerry'd better do so soon; Whitman's spending tons of $$$.)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/30/BAI91AD538.DTL&tsp=1

Crap.

Maybe it's better for him if he becomes Lt. Governor, and when Jerry's ready to step aside the whole Gay Marriage issue will be a done deal & not a liability for him.  In fact by then it will make him seem prophetic.

Here's something I've never understood about politics, both re: Newsom and in general: What is his greater agenda in being involved in politics, and in what capacity can he best make that happen (ie., Gov vs Lt Gov)?  I have to believe it's something larger than famewhoredom.  But I have a poor understanding of who oversees what in our governmental structure.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »
it's in this thread because I'm sick of Dems kow-tow-ing to the Senator from Aetna, aka Droopy Dawg.  Yo, Lieberman -- kiss mah ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vS6kIbJu64&feature=player_embedded
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 09:56:57 AM »
it's in this thread because I'm sick of Dems kow-tow-ing to the Senator from Aetna, aka Droopy Dawg.  Yo, Lieberman -- kiss mah ass.

Lieberman better hope his constituents love him unconditionally or have short memories. He's got another two years left in his term, and I think he's going to have a tough time getting reelected. I'd hope the Dems would throw everything they have into the effort to get him tossed out. He deserves a little payback for holding the left hostage the way he has.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »

Lieberman better hope his constituents love him unconditionally or have short memories. He's got another two years left in his term, and I think he's going to have a tough time getting reelected. I'd hope the Dems would throw everything they have into the effort to get him tossed out. He deserves a little payback for holding the left hostage the way he has.

Hope you saw the clip yesterday of Al Franken refusing to extend DroopyJoe's speaking time (something usually done as a matter of course). Lieber-scum was astounded to be pushed back upon.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 08:12:46 AM »
"And the lights all went out in Massachusetts..."

This is in the "left" thread because Coakley is an idiot (worst candidate evah?) and the Dems need to wake the fuck up. And Gaz, I just un-friended Barry Scott on FB -- he's fucking insane.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »

This is in the "left" thread because Coakley is an idiot (worst candidate evah?) and the Dems need to wake the fuck up. And Gaz, I just un-friended Barry Scott on FB -- he's fucking insane.

is he now your "unfrenemy?"

his voice and (lack of) web design skill should have been enough for an unfriend...

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »

is he now your "unfrenemy?"

his voice and (lack of) web design skill should have been enough for an unfriend...

I love his radio show, and what he went thru with the Provincetown police was horrible.  But it's one thing to not vote for Coakley or to tell people that she's a phony; it's quite another to embrace and campaign for an idiot neanderthal like Brown. Which he did on FB and (presumably) elsewhere.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 12:48:08 PM »
KO is back in front of a camera, this time taking Obama to task for the recent offensive in Libya.

http://bcove.me/gyrlfoo0
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
So what's it going to take to end this escalating war between protesters/hackers and BART??
Hackers post BART cops' personal info; another protest planned for Monday.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/17/BA101KOI7G.DTL

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 02:12:30 PM »
So what's it going to take to end this escalating war between protesters/hackers and BART??
are hackers/anarchists considered left wing?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
I just put it in this thread to put it somewhere. Perhaps a new thread: "local news"?  Anyway, I'd be curious on opinions.  What will it take to end the protests?   I commute via BART and and got caught in the protests on Monday and a few weeks ago.  I'm all for protesting, but being on the platform when dozens of very raucous protesters swarmed down onto it, banging on train windows and climbing on top of a train.  I felt that did compromise the safety of those waiting on platform.  Kids, elderly people, tourists were scared to death to be caught in an enclosed space with an angry mob.  Someone could have fallen off platform or got hurt in some other way.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »

in this case, I would say yes, as this dustup started over BART police shooting a transient and then the protesters threw Oscar Grant and "free speech" into the mix.  Personally, I think the case can be made that cel-phone service in a subway tunnel is not a "right".

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »

in this case, I would say yes, as this dustup started over BART police shooting a transient and then the protesters threw Oscar Grant and "free speech" into the mix.  Personally, I think the case can be made that cel-phone service in a subway tunnel is not a "right".
I don't really see this as left-wing stuff, more like libertarian.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »

At about 5 PM on Monday I was out near Market and Powell and I did notice an increase of young kids, less that 18 YO, milling about.  My opinion is these kids are doing this pseudo-anarcho thing just b/c they think f***ing s*** up is cool.  They have no formed beliefs yet, and when they think long enough to figure it out, they'll be Democrats before they become anything else.  They're kids right now. 

There is a segment of self-styled, black bandana sportin' anarchists out there, too (You saw a few during Iraq war protests), but when push  comes to shove, they'll also back down and not want to commit fully to Anarchy with a capital A.  They've got lots of energy, though, but many aren't thinking things through -- hey, just like many Tea Party folks!

What Anonymous did had a direct effect on my life: a friend was one of the folks whose info was hacked from the MyBart site and spread about.  They received quite a few calls soon after the info was leaked by (what they think were ) scammers trying to get more personal info from her. 

Anonymous did point out that Bart's IT security sucks, that's for sure, but unfortunately that's not unexpected with a government agency whose bloated carcass floats down the river of bureau-mediocrity.  It certainly made me take another look at offering my info to other parties.  I mean, that's always a concern, but it's in the forefront again because of their shenanigans.

So kudos for pointing out BART's failings in the IT department -- as if we needed that -- but BOO for hurting innocent folks.  One wonders what they would have done if they had successfully hacked into more private sensitive info... perhaps this un-encrypted file was all they could find?  And maybe that's b/c BART didn't think it worthy of encryption/protection?

I watched a movie called Trumbo last night, about Dalton Trumbo, the blacklisted writer. Now THAT guy thought through his beliefs and was committed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:59:19 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 12:35:01 AM »

in this case, I would say yes, as this dustup started over BART police shooting a transient and then the protesters threw Oscar Grant and "free speech" into the mix.  Personally, I think the case can be made that cel-phone service in a subway tunnel is not a "right".

At about 5 PM on Monday I was out near Market and Powell and I did notice an increase of young kids, less that 18 YO, milling about.  My opinion is these kids are doing this pseudo-anarcho thing just b/c they think f***ing s*** up is cool.  They have no formed beliefs yet, and when they think long enough to figure it out, they'll be Democrats before they become anything else.  They're kids right now.  

There is a segment of self-styled, black bandana sportin' anarchists out there, too (You saw a few during Iraq war protests), but when push  comes to shove, they'll also back down and not want to commit fully to Anarchy with a capital A.  They've got lots of energy, though, but many aren't thinking things through -- hey, just like many Tea Party folks!

What Anonymous did had a direct effect on my life: a friend was one of the folks whose info was hacked from the MyBart site and spread about.  They received quite a few calls soon after the info was leaked by (what they think were ) scammers trying to get more personal info from her.  

Anonymous did point out that Bart's IT security sucks, that's for sure, but unfortunately that's not unexpected with a government agency whose bloated carcass floats down the river of bureau-mediocrity.  It certainly made me take another look at offering my info to other parties.  I mean, that's always a concern, but it's in the forefront again because of their shenanigans.

So kudos for pointing out BART's failings in the IT department -- as if we needed that -- but BOO for hurting innocent folks.  One wonders what they would have done if they had successfully hacked into more private sensitive info... perhaps this un-encrypted file was all they could find?  And maybe that's b/c BART didn't think it worthy of encryption/protection?

I watched a movie called Trumbo last night, about Dalton Trumbo, the blacklisted writer. Now THAT guy thought through his beliefs and was committed.

Nice summation Tinka.  

I was something of an anarchist when I was young too.  Or maybe I was a nihilist.  Hard to say.  I knew things were f*cked up, at any rate.  I thought we were doomed.  But here I am, still relatively prosperous, still relatively happy, and still on the right side of the lawn.  I may never be able to retire, but, you know, nobody ever promised me a rose garden (okay, the people who were selling 401ks did, but "buyer beware").

As for liberals and conservatives -- I'm fed up with them both.  Making fun of Michelle Bachman because she was eating a corn dog at a fair is not only unfair, but also lowers the bar for what is acceptable in political debate.  Politicians don't want us to think about the real issues, they want us to focus on the side issues and manufactured scandal.  If everything is about personality and image, then they can do anything in the back rooms once they get elected.  Slight of hand.

Anyway, to Geoff's query -- no, the hackers/anarchists are not left wing liberals.  They are just kids howling against the void.  Hackers suck and anarchists are grasping at chaos.  But they aren't wrong.

And one last word about IT security -- effective security is at best very expensive.  At worst, it's impossible.  BART does not have the resources for sophisticated security, and even that can be breached.  It's not just public agencies that have this problem -- any private or public software company weighs the cost/profit equation.  It's not surprising that profit usually wins out.  Nothing is safe.  Nothing.  

"Between grief and nothing, I will choose grief."  (Just a random quote that popped into my head -- frink points to anyone who can identify the author.  Hint:  He is part of the reason I had such a bleak view of the world when I was a English Lit major at SF State).  

"Pues Nada"  (That's Hemingway.)

ETA:  And, BTW, I am awfully fond of Obama.  But then, I was awfully fond of Jimmy Carter too.   :-\
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:50:56 AM by Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing