Author Topic: 7 Sept 2009: Guilty Pleasures  (Read 8360 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 7 Sept 2009: Guilty Pleasures
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 10:42:04 AM »
 :(
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 10:51:36 AM »

Are you sad that it's over? Or sad that we didn't hear Dave's voice? (Legally they're not allowed to use it -- but they coulda got AL to record a new backannounce, at least!)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 02:02:18 PM »

Are you sad that it's over? Or sad that we didn't hear Dave's voice? (Legally they're not allowed to use it -- but they coulda got AL to record a new backannounce, at least!)
I know the reasons why we didn't hear Dave's voice.  I'm just sad about the whole enchilada, how it all went down.  Annalisa's doing a great job, I've just spent a lot of years with Dave, and would like to hear him again someday.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but what exactly happened so that DM is not even acknowledged? Retire and preserve his voice as a 'classic', I'd get, but to edit him out completely is just weird.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 06:54:26 PM »
Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but what exactly happened so that DM is not even acknowledged? Retire and preserve his voice as a 'classic', I'd get, but to edit him out completely is just weird.

Apparently, when KFOG decided not to pay Dave to do new 10@10s, he said "well, you can't just keep running my 'classics' indefinitely"... and his lawyers figured out that was legally true -- they couldn't use his voice without paying him. This was the first Dave-less "classic" since AL took over, and it was indeed weird.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 12:03:10 AM »
Is this show listed on the DB?

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »

Apparently, when KFOG decided not to pay Dave to do new 10@10s, he said "well, you can't just keep running my 'classics' indefinitely"... and his lawyers figured out that was legally true -- they couldn't use his voice without paying him. This was the first Dave-less "classic" since AL took over, and it was indeed weird.

Thanks. I'd be curious how much KFOG would have to pay DM to use his voice for one show. I'd suspect there's a sliding scale involved. Regardless, one would think they could have just rerun an Annalisa episode. I guess there's a reason I'm not in this business!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 03:23:45 PM »
Is this show listed on the DB?

Don't believe so. I looked at it last night and didn't see any Guilty Pleasures sets listed, although I remember at least one in the last 10 years, as Dave made a big deal explaining the difference between a Turkey (good but stupid), a Hit From Hell (really bad), and a Guilty Pleasure (a song that's not great but you enjoy hearing it anyway). It must have come during one of the lapses in coverage in the DB.
Let's get right to it.