Author Topic: 1985 on Wed 5/11/05  (Read 5992 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« on: May 11, 2005, 07:52:45 AM »
Why can't Bob do '80s sets on Thurs when the back door is closed?

The blurb just now promises the Mother of All Katrinas will make an appearance. *sigh*
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 08:03:35 AM »
And we kick off with "Lonely Ol' Night," one of the many songs that ignominiously rhymes a word with itself in the refrain:

"and I put my arms around you / ... / custom-made for two lonely people like me and you."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 08:06:54 AM »
BOS to HoJo, "Things Can Only Get Better."  A marvelous production, from that deceptive opening to the of-their-time no-soul backing vox.  He really warrants a critical reassessment.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 08:07:10 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
And we kick off with "Lonely Ol' Night," one of the many songs that ignominiously rhymes a word with itself in the refrain:

"and I put my arms around you / ... / custom-made for two lonely people like me and you."

maybe it's free verse.

"Free Verse! Freeee Veeeerse!"

VHM JCM for one of the more amazing transformations (from journeyman with no respect to "serious artist") in rock history.

ooo! VHM2 HoJo!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 08:11:11 AM »
BOS2 to the perpetually chilling "This Is Not America."  When people bitch about the demise of Bowie's artistry in the '80s, they always forget about this and "Absolute Beginners."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 08:15:05 AM »
BOS2 to the perpetually chilling "This Is Not America."  When people bitch about the demise of Bowie's artistry in the '80s, they always forget about this and "Absolute Beginners."

agreed, esp re: "Beginners" -- what a fabulous track that is. If only Dave woulds surprise us with it some morning.  I suspect The Peak would be likely to feature it, tho' -- it was very big on the two suburban NY "alternative" stations.

Here's Mr Fogerty, back when recycling oneself still seemed like a fresh idea and not a crass career move.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 08:18:25 AM »
"Old Man Down the Road" = worst video ever filmed.  I remember seeing that for the first time and thinking WTF?!?

Ooh!  Diamond Dave!  (Trivia: With Christopher Cross on backing vox.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 08:18:43 AM »
BOS DLR, "Cali Girls" -- tho' you really need the video.  Cheezily emblematic of 1985

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 08:20:25 AM »
Y'know, I'm really happy to find that DLR's take on CG has held up so well.  It really is a fun rendition, and one cannot think of it without thinking of the GENIUS videos he did for this and "Yankee Rose."  It may have just been the effects of the cocaine, but he was really on top of his game this year.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 08:23:37 AM »
Poor Mr. Mister: two Number One hits and this album (allegedly) never recouped.  Fucking label assjockeys.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 08:24:24 AM »
Y'know, I'm really happy to find that DLR's take on CG has held up so well.  It really is a fun rendition, and one cannot think of it without thinking of the GENIUS videos he did for this and "Yankee Rose."  It may have just been the effects of the cocaine, but he was really on top of his game this year.

so where did it all go wrong? Was it the coke? or the MTV crowd's short attention span? or both?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 08:28:08 AM »
Fucking label assjockeys.

is an assjockey the same as a butthole surfer?

WOS Clapton, revoman revoman revoman...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 08:36:45 AM »
BOS2 Pee Wee. I must confess I didn't "get" Mr Reubens at that time; saw the movie and thought it was... odd. And his appearances on Letterman left me wondering "WTF?" It wasn't until the Playhouse premiered that I suddenly realized there was genius afoot.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 08:38:39 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

so where did it all go wrong? Was it the coke? or the MTV crowd's short attention span? or both?

I'm sure there's a lot to his story that I don't know, but in general, the coke is the problem for the same reason that it's the springboard: under its influence, you move forward on all gears with whatever you're doing because you think it's Perfect Total Genius.  If you really are on to something, it gives you the confidence and energy to see it through.  On the other hand, if you're on a failing mission, no one can tell you otherwise, and most won't try to anyway b/c they're hanging on to a star.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1985 on Wed 5/11/05
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 08:40:43 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
BOS2 Pee Wee. I must confess I didn't "get" Mr Reubens at that time; saw the movie and thought it was... odd. And his appearances on Letterman left me wondering "WTF?" It wasn't until the Playhouse premiered that I suddenly realized there was genius afoot.

You didn't see his (c. 1981 or 1982) stage show broadcast by MTV?  Shucks.

P.S.  "Sunshine" don't sound half bad today!  It's not half the Katrina it used to be.