Author Topic: The Sound, 7/17/09: 1983  (Read 2041 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
The Sound, 7/17/09: 1983
« on: July 17, 2009, 10:45:38 AM »
heard the intro, Larry mentioned this was the year Micheael Jackson debuted his Moonwalk Dance.  Of course, if you heard that and were paying attention to the recent MJ news, you would know it's 1983.

A little ZZTop-of-the-hour-kooker, "Under Pressure" - btw, they'll be here at the "Bone Bash" opening for Aerosmith.  I'm interested, but tix are steep.

(then I bailed for KFOG... and came back.)

hey, it's another Neil Diamond-penned song!  (AL played I'm a believer by The Monkees in today's KFOG 60s Vertical Tasting) -- we heard "Red Red Wine," by UB40.   very nice selection.

Then "Pride And Joy"  by  Stevie Ray Vaughan.  saw him twice, so glad I did.

John Mellonhead "Plays Guitar" -- well, someone in his band did, maybe not John himself.

Clip from "The Right Stuff" movie.  U-S-A!!  The Moon is our beeyotch!

John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band doing "The Dark Side,"  this was too close to a Bruce cover band sound for me to be interested in it.

good times....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:05:49 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Sound, 7/17/09: 1983
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 11:00:59 AM »
7/17 -1983
Got Me Under Pressure - ZZ Top
Come on Feel the Noize - Quiet Riot
Pale Shelter - TFF
Mr. Roboto - Styx
Cuts Like a Knife - Bryan Adams
Not Now John - Pink Floyd
Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughn
Red Red Wine - UB40
Play Guitar - John Mellencamp
On the Dark Side - John Cafferty

Sorry I missed Tears For Fears' "Pale Shelter," BOS for that.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:10:34 AM »
John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band doing "The Dark Side,"  this was too close to a Bruce cover band sound for me to be interested in it.

and their earlier indie-label stuff (pre-Eddie & the Cruisers) is even more slavishly E-Street-y. I have a 45 from earlier that year (or maybe '82) called "Hot Summer Nights" -- NOT the MeatLoaf tune. Tried to find it on YouTube to no avail.  I'll have to bring it to our next 10@10 gathering.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 11:27:34 AM »

and their earlier indie-label stuff (pre-Eddie & the Cruisers) is even more slavishly E-Street-y. I have a 45 from earlier that year (or maybe '82) called "Hot Summer Nights" -- NOT the MeatLoaf tune. Tried to find it on YouTube to no avail.  I'll have to bring it to our next 10@10 gathering.

I love AMG's take on Cafferty:
Arguably the quintessential one-shot band of all time, Cafferty and company (who, back in the early '70s, were simply a hack New England bar band) had their 15 minutes of fame courtesy of a ridiculously overwrought 1983 film called Eddie and the Cruisers (starring Michael Pare). The movie dealt with the suspicious death of a fictional singer/songwriter, modeled on a conflation of Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen, who had made the transition from smart rock & roller to serious artist. Seems as though Eddie had recorded a brilliant but unreleased album that fused Chuck Berry-style rock & roll with French Symbolist poetry. A record way ahead of its time, the master tapes of The Dark Side went missing, right around the time of Eddie's "death." Needing a band to supply music for the film, the producers used the Springsteen-ish sounding Cafferty and his clock-punching backup band. With the Springsteen-ish single "On the Dark Side" paving the way, Cafferty led, arguably, the most anonymous band with a hit record in the history of rock & roll. With the movie doing reasonably well in theaters and extremely well on video, sales of Cafferty's album — which, ironically, had been out for months before the band's involvement with Eddie and the Cruisers and barely caused a murmur — skyrocketed. But, as the movie faded from the public consciousness, so did Cafferty's imitation of Springsteen.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 11:31:27 AM »

I love AMG's take on Cafferty:
Arguably the quintessential one-shot band of all time, Cafferty and company (who, back in the early '70s, were simply a hack New England bar band) had their 15 minutes of fame courtesy of a ridiculously overwrought 1983 film called Eddie and the Cruisers (starring Michael Pare). The movie dealt with the suspicious death of a fictional singer/songwriter, modeled on a conflation of Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen, who had made the transition from smart rock & roller to serious artist. Seems as though Eddie had recorded a brilliant but unreleased album that fused Chuck Berry-style rock & roll with French Symbolist poetry. A record way ahead of its time, the master tapes of The Dark Side went missing, right around the time of Eddie's "death." Needing a band to supply music for the film, the producers used the Springsteen-ish sounding Cafferty and his clock-punching backup band. With the Springsteen-ish single "On the Dark Side" paving the way, Cafferty led, arguably, the most anonymous band with a hit record in the history of rock & roll. With the movie doing reasonably well in theaters and extremely well on video, sales of Cafferty's album — which, ironically, had been out for months before the band's involvement with Eddie and the Cruisers and barely caused a murmur — skyrocketed. But, as the movie faded from the public consciousness, so did Cafferty's imitation of Springsteen.

ha!  pretty spot on, and I can think of several people on this board who could have written that.
~CPL593H~