Author Topic: 20 July 2009: All Santana set  (Read 13383 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 20 July 2009: All Santana set
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2009, 10:53:40 AM »
I'm not counting, but are we to assume Smooth is #10?  Is this what Santana will be capsulized for?

Better that than his French kissing skills.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2009, 10:54:35 AM »
BOS for "Everybody's Everything", one of my all-time favorite songs by any artist.  But I always wondered, does everything belong to everybody, or is everybody everything?

considering the song is ripped off from an earlier hit by an obscure group, I guess Carlos believes the former.  ;)
Really? I didn't know that.  What song and group?

I'm trying to track it down -- JJ has played it on KPOO and I can't remember the name, but it's from the late '60s and I was gobsmacked the first time I heard it.
where would be Santana be without cover songs?
 :) :)

It's "Karate" released in 1967 by The Emperors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJcuwoneU8

actually, I think one of the Emperors collaborated on "EE".
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Too bad about "Smooth", even though I did think it was pretty good when it came out.  And he does steal the riff from the Scorpions' "Rock You Like a Hurricane", doncha think?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2009, 10:57:56 AM »
Too bad about "Smooth", even though I did think it was pretty good when it came out.  And he does steal the riff from the Scorpions' "Rock You Like a Hurricane", doncha think?

so of course it was one of the biggest request-getters. Fogheads drool!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
BOS for "Everybody's Everything", one of my all-time favorite songs by any artist.  But I always wondered, does everything belong to everybody, or is everybody everything?

considering the song is ripped off from an earlier hit by an obscure group, I guess Carlos believes the former.  ;)
Really? I didn't know that.  What song and group?

I'm trying to track it down -- JJ has played it on KPOO and I can't remember the name, but it's from the late '60s and I was gobsmacked the first time I heard it.
where would be Santana be without cover songs?
 :) :)

It's "Karate" released in 1967 by The Emperors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJcuwoneU8

actually, I think one of the Emperors collaborated on "EE".
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Which they probably stole from the Emperors. :)

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
Big bad buffering made me miss the entire backsell.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2009, 11:13:36 AM »
Wow, I just listened to "Karate", and it sure is the same as "Everybody's Everything".  Not nearly as good, but definitely the same.  I hope they were duly credited.  And they say "Karate" where "Get ready" appears in the Santana tune.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2009, 05:54:11 AM »
Sorry, but the interview clips of Carlos are tedious -- I have a very low threshold for mystical bullshit.

True - Carlos must have one of the lowest interview/talent quality ratios in the biz. I wonder who is amongst the highest (great interview, crappy artist). I'll nominate Shaq.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2009, 08:04:30 AM »
I notice the two sets dedicated to rock legends since AL took over were for two musicians that currently live in the Bay Area, Carlos and Neil Young.   KFOG wants to make sure these two guys know the local station "has their back," I'd say. that's how local radio should work -- focus on "locals" -- but I see good business behind it, too.   I mean, these guys certainly deserve dedicated sets to honor them, but if if KFOG had to decide b/w a living legend who is local vs a living legend who lives in, say, England, I think they'll go w the one who might just feel like stopping into the station one day.

I'm back east right now, and 107.7 The Lake (out of Buffalo) did mentioned Carlos' bday, too, but just in passing it seemed, and they didn't play any of his tunes -- just then, anyway.

also, next month is the 40th anniversary of Woodstock!!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:12:37 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
also, next month is the 40th anniversary of Woodstock!!!

It'll be interesting to see what KFOG does. I was surprised they devoted the Morning Show to the moon landing on Monday to the extent they did. They can never seem to decide what demo they're going after, but lately the pendulum has once again swung in the direction of us older folks, it seems.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2009, 08:27:21 AM »
Sorry, but the interview clips of Carlos are tedious -- I have a very low threshold for mystical bullshit.

True - Carlos must have one of the lowest interview/talent quality ratios in the biz. I wonder who is amongst the highest (great interview, crappy artist). I'll nominate Shaq.

Sir Monti Rock III!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2009, 07:39:50 AM »
For their annual Latino Heritage Night (8/25/09), los Gigantes are giving away a Carlos bobblehead!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2009, 08:21:02 AM »
For their annual Latino Heritage Night (8/25/09), los Gigantes are giving away a Carlos bobblehead!

that's a cool bobblehead, but you might need a special ticket to get that premium.  better check the fine print on the sked if you're interested.
~CPL593H~