Author Topic: 14 Juillet 2009: Happy bastille day, it's... 1970  (Read 12576 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 14 Juillet 2009: Happy bastille day, it's... 1970
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »
AL just announced that next Monday is Carlos Santana's BD, and we'll get a Carlos set.  She's looking for email suggestions, and I'll definitely be suggesting "Touchdown Raiders!" 

But I wasn't paying attention well enough to get the email addy...    :-\

er, that would be annalisa@kfog.com  ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »
Bonus Track Question "What group in today's 10 at 10 featured three lead singers, Danny, Chuck and Cory?"

The first caller said "The Bee Gees."   :-\

Then "Wes The Buzzcocks Fan" got through and answered correctly (Noche De Tres Perros) and chose George Harrison's If Not For You!   :)

I think this could be one of those times when the bonus track is actually better than the other ten songs...

I would have to agree. Annalisa used to do that regularly, back when DM was in the driver's seat.

Although my pick for BOS in the set also has the most appearances in the DB. It's not Little Green Bag or The Seeker--any guesses?

3DN or CCR?

Nope, the CCR was a bustout. And the 3DN has 5 plays--this one has more.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
Bonus Track Question "What group in today's 10 at 10 featured three lead singers, Danny, Chuck and Cory?"

Then "Wes The Buzzcocks Fan" got through and answered correctly (Noche De Tres Perros) and chose George Harrison's If Not For You!   :)

I think this could be one of those times when the bonus track is actually better than the other ten songs...

I would have to agree. Annalisa used to do that regularly, back when DM was in the driver's seat.

Although my pick for BOS in the set also has the most appearances in the DB. It's not Little Green Bag or The Seeker--any guesses?

3DN or CCR?

after the narrowing down, I'll go w Cecilia
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2009, 01:19:55 PM »

3DN or CCR?

Negatory, good buddy.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2009, 02:31:20 PM »

3DN or CCR?

Negatory, good buddy.

It will be a lonely day in hell before I guess.  Or lonely night.

Where would I be without my bos.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2009, 02:38:48 PM »

3DN or CCR?

Negatory, good buddy.

It will be a lonely day in hell before I guess.  Or lonely night.

Where would I be without my bos.

Too bad, 'cause you'd have been right. :)

I would not have thought so, but Lonely Days appears in the DB eight times, including once in a theme set (the BeeGees Listen Without Prejudice set that was discussed a couple of weeks ago after MJ's death) and once as a classic. And all of its date-based appearances were in '71, not '70. But it does qualify in '70--barely: it first charted Dec 26, 1970.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2009, 02:57:51 PM »
7/14/09 - Tuesday!  Ten tune visit to...1970!!!

1.  Rare Earth - Get Ready
   2.  Three Dog Night - Mama Told Me Not to Come
(News:  50th Anniversary of women's right to vote)
   3,  Shocking Blue - Venus
   4.  CCR - Up Around the Bend
(TV Ad:  Chuck Wagon)
   5.  Simon & Garfunkel - Cecilia
   6.  The Who - The Seeker
(News:  Earth Day/Ralph Nader)
   7.  Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
   8.  Bee Gees - Lonely Days (BEST OF SET!!!)
(TV Ad:  Twister)
   9.  Black Sabbath - Paranoid
 10.  George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag

BONUS TRACK (From Wes in Richmond):  George Harrison -
                                                                            If Not For You
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »
AL just announced that next Monday is Carlos Santana's BD, and we'll get a Carlos set.  She's looking for email suggestions, and I'll definitely be suggesting "Touchdown Raiders!" 

BTW, Monday is also the 40th anniv of the moon landing, and frankly, I'd much rather have a creative moon-themed set than a Santana rehash, especially a Foghead-generated one.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2009, 10:46:18 PM »

Love Devotion and Surrender  would be my vote, but I'll be out of town and don't mind missing this one anyway.
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2009, 11:03:45 PM »

BTW, Monday is also the 40th anniv of the moon landing, and frankly, I'd much rather have a creative moon-themed set than a Santana rehash, especially a Foghead-generated one.

Agreed, the moon set would likely be far more interesting, but Santana and the draw of audience voting may bring more listeners. And it's all about user engagement these days, ain't it? I'll just be happy if AL can pull out something more obscure than Samba Pa Ti and stays away from the Alex Ligertwood years altogether. Yes, Tink's Love Devotion and Surrender would be a good start.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2009, 11:56:56 PM »

Agreed, the moon set would likely be far more interesting, but Santana and the draw of audience voting may bring more listeners. And it's all about user engagement these days, ain't it? I'll just be happy if AL can pull out something more obscure than Samba Pa Ti and stays away from the Alex Ligertwood years altogether. Yes, Tink's Love Devotion and Surrender would be a good start.
How about throwing a curve, and playing Supernatural (Peter Green) and Fleetwood Mac's "Black Magic Woman?" to give some context?
Yeah, never gonna happen.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2009, 05:50:33 AM »
BOS for "Mama Told Me Not To Come", which was #1 on the very first American Top 40.