Author Topic: The Sound, 5/12/09: 1983  (Read 1668 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
The Sound, 5/12/09: 1983
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:14:31 AM »
We get the Plimsouls' A Million Miles Away -- Larry talks about how he went to a mystery film screening back in 83 at college (USC) and they shoeed Valley Girl.  half the crowd got up and left, but he stayed!  Which means he was rewarded with a super fun soundtrack...

TANC: here at work a guy recently loaded up the Valley Girl sntk, and I've been grooving on it, esp Bonnie Hayes and the Wild Bunch's Combo's two pop nuggets (Girls Like Me and Shelly's Boyfriend).  I found Bonnie is still around, has a studio in Marin, has written hits form Bonnie Raitt and Robt Cray among others, and still plays out.  I emailed her and she responded with a nice reply.  I'll have to go chk her out when she does her next local gig.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:58:12 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Sound, 5/12/09: 1983
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:31:49 AM »

5/12 - 1983
===================
Every Breath You Take - Police
Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top
A Million Miles Away - Plimsouls
Cherry Oh Baby - UB40
Something from Under a Blood Red Sky? - U2 (live)
Play Guitar - John Mellencamp
Everyday I Write the Book - Elvis Costello
Lawyers in Love - Jackson Browne
This Charming Man - Smiths
Rock n Roll is King - ELO

btw, the online list omits the #9 tune, which is my BOS: The Smith's Charming Man!

I was wondering about that ELO tune, but it was in fact from 83:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Messages

~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 11:43:29 AM »
TANC: here at work a guy recently loaded up the Valley Girl sntk, and I've been grooving on it, esp Bonnie Hayes and the Wild Bunch's two pop nugggets (Girls Like Me and Shelly's Boyfriend).  I found Bonnie is still around, has a studio in Marin, has written hits form Bonnie Raitt and Robt Cray among others, and still plays out.  I emailed her and she responded with a nice reply.  I'll have to go chk her out when she does her next local gig.

Yep, Bonnie Hayes and the Wild Combo (not bunch) were a pretty popular club band locally around the time of this set--1982 thru 85 or so. I remember seeing them a few times, both in SF and in Sacramento. I think her brother Chris was a member of Huey Lewis and the News--guitarist maybe? And yes, she wrote Love Letter for Bonnie Raitt, which was one of the better songs on Nick of Time.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »
TANC: here at work a guy recently loaded up the Valley Girl sntk, and I've been grooving on it, esp Bonnie Hayes and the Wild Bunch's two pop nugggets (Girls Like Me and Shelly's Boyfriend).  I found Bonnie is still around, has a studio in Marin, has written hits form Bonnie Raitt and Robt Cray among others, and still plays out.  I emailed her and she responded with a nice reply.  I'll have to go chk her out when she does her next local gig.

Yep, Bonnie Hayes and the Wild Combo (not bunch) were a pretty popular club band locally around the time of this set--1982 thru 85 or so. I remember seeing them a few times, both in SF and in Sacramento. I think her brother Chris was a member of Huey Lewis and the News--guitarist maybe? And yes, she wrote Love Letter for Bonnie Raitt, which was one of the better songs on Nick of Time.

Right, it's Combo, not Bunch... thanks for that.  Her two songs on that sndtk are really great, full of hooks.  Girls Like Me opens the movie in a (slightly wobbly) aerial shot that starts in Hollywood, then carries over the hills to take in the Valley:

Valley Girl, part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHeIfCKqo4c

the movie is a bit dated, but so are the 80s! 
~CPL593H~