Author Topic: 6 May 2009: 1976  (Read 7488 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 6 May 2009: 1976
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »
So.....I chatted with Dave Morey yesterday, and he did not have good news.  His studio is all set up, as his pirate radio station, but there aren't going to be any new 10at10s.  Cumulus has decided they don't want to/can't fund Dave making new ones.  And further, they're using his name, voice and work without paying him.  But he says he doesn't have time to worry about it any more.  It was a nice chat, but very sad.

Damn. Damn Damn Damn.
Indeed.  Perhaps some sort of letter-writing campaign is in order.  Or studio-storming.  Or a totally futile and useless gesture on somebody's part.

Funny I was just thinking yesterday that Dave might return as a "surprise guest" for Kaboom and do a couple of new sets while he was in town. Guess that ain't happening. 

So, how long can they recycle "classics"? Or run that HD-2 station that's ALL 10@10s?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 10:24:46 AM »
So.....I chatted with Dave Morey yesterday, and he did not have good news.  His studio is all set up, as his pirate radio station, but there aren't going to be any new 10at10s.  Cumulus has decided they don't want to/can't fund Dave making new ones.  And further, they're using his name, voice and work without paying him.  But he says he doesn't have time to worry about it any more.  It was a nice chat, but very sad.

Damn. Damn Damn Damn.
Indeed.  Perhaps some sort of letter-writing campaign is in order.  Or studio-storming.  Or a totally futile and useless gesture on somebody's part.

They at least need to be called out in public on their shit, since it was pretty much a given when Dave left that he would be continuing 10@10. And if it were to slip out that they're not paying him for use of his name and voice and image (as well as his considerable body of work), then so be it.

Anyone got Ben Fong-Torres' e-mail address? The one that runs with his Radio Waves column is just a generic one for Pink Section freelancers. Tink? You have any way to contact him via Chronicle channels?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:27:44 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 10:25:42 AM »

Damn. Damn Damn Damn.

Holy smokes.  I wonder if/how this will make the news...? I think Cumulus will hear it from the (remaining) FogHeads.  I hope his pirate station goes online.  I'll listen.

well, someone should certainly e-mail Ben Fong-Torres about it to see if he mentions it in his column.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 10:27:20 AM »
proxy-of-Gaz, Bowie.

BOS2 Eric Carmen.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »
He did give his regards to all of the 10at10 club, and said everything's great there now that it's spring.  And his radio station is WTF 87.9.  Nice.  We didn't talk about what it was; I tried to keep the intrusion brief.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 10:30:12 AM »
BOS3 Boz, "Love Me Tomorrow".

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 10:30:36 AM »

Damn. Damn Damn Damn.

Holy smokes.  I wonder if/how this will make the news...? I think Cumulus will hear it from the (remaining) FogHeads.  I hope his pirate station goes online.  I'll listen.

well, someone should certainly e-mail Ben Fong-Torres about it to see if he mentions it in his column.

That was easy. He has his own site here:
http://www.benfongtorres.com/

And his e-mail there is:
fongtorres@asianconnections.com
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 10:32:31 AM »

Damn. Damn Damn Damn.

I work at the major local daily paper (for now, anyway), so I can chat up an editor about this. but Ben seems the best candidate to get the scoop since it's his column that the Chron relies on for radio rumors and news.

fongtorres@asianconnections.com  (got this address from his site http://www.benfongtorres.com/)

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 10:33:34 AM »
VHM Jackson Browne -- this was a terrific set with a fair share of rarities.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 10:37:31 AM »
Ain't nuthin' like the sky to dose a potion.  BOS4 Starbuck, makin' the tide rise again (huh huh).

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 10:39:21 AM »

Damn. Damn Damn Damn.

I work at the major local daily paper (for now, anyway), so I can chat up an editor about this. but Ben seems the best candidate to get the scoop since it's his column that the Chron relies on for radio rumors and news.

fongtorres@asianconnections.com  (got this address from his site http://www.benfongtorres.com/)

Ben Fong-Torres JINX!

Am composing an e-mail to him right now.
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »
Ain't nuthin' like the sky to dose a potion.  BOS4 Starbuck, makin' the tide rise again (huh huh).
Izzat what he says?  I always heard "Ain't nothin' like this guy who knows a potion, the goon'll send you on your way."  I've since recanted on the "goon" part, but was still in the dark about the guy.  Kinda like another prominent mondegreen we know and love.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 10:40:33 AM »

Damn. Damn Damn Damn.

Ben Fong-Torres JINX!

:P

and I just sent him one, too!  double JINX!

ETA: the email bounced back: 

The following message to <fongtorres@asianconnections.com> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'5.7.1 <fongtorres@asianconnections.com>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied'

i will walk this one down to an assignment editor.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:46:26 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »

Damn. Damn Damn Damn.

Ben Fong-Torres JINX!

5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'5.7.1 <fongtorres@asianconnections.com>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied'

I'm posting about this on the radio-info.com SF thread.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 10:51:28 AM »

Damn. Damn Damn Damn.

Ben Fong-Torres JINX!

Mine bounced, too. At least it wasn't just me. :)

Let's get right to it.