Author Topic: 30 April 2009--it's 1974  (Read 10125 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 30 April 2009--it's 1974
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 10:18:17 AM »
And I'm drawing a blank on the TOTHK--late 3DN perhaps?

Indeed, 3DN, "Sure As I'm Sittin' Here."  I've never cared for this one, but today it's sounding good.

It was NTM, but I liked it.

The very first time (of many) that I joined the Columbia Record Club, 3DN's Greatest Hits was among my freebies for joining.  I had not heard the song previously, but it was for a while my fave on the LP.  Unfortunately I tuned in too late to hear it today.  Looking forward to Saturday's marathon.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Oz never did give nothing...

BOS #3 America

ETA:  and a preemptory "Tropic of Sir Galhad JINX"

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 10:19:06 AM »
Whatever gets ya, babe.  VHM John; heard a pretty good cover of this on KPIG the other day by the currently much-maligned Los Lonely Boys.
Who's maligning them?  They seem to be huge.  Personally, they don't excite me and have an irritating name.

Agreed with your opinion of them, although I haven't seen 'em live. As for the name, I've always thought they were trying to emulate Los Lobos (who they sound like more than a little bit).

They have always sounded like ABB-meets-Santana to me, and in the midst of KFOG's Feist-y, Mraz-tastic playlist that's actually a plus.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »
Whatever gets ya, babe.  VHM John; heard a pretty good cover of this on KPIG the other day by the currently much-maligned Los Lonely Boys.
Who's maligning them?  They seem to be huge.  Personally, they don't excite me and have an irritating name.

Agreed with your opinion of them, although I haven't seen 'em live. As for the name, I've always thought they were trying to emulate Los Lobos (who they sound like more than a little bit).

I like them well enough, and they are enjoyable live.  Nothing mind-blowingly good about them though.  Not in Los Lobos' league, but not without talent, either.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 10:19:56 AM »

some people on this board who shall remain nameless.

VHM "School" -- the opening of that sure sounded like Bruce's "The River".
Totally. I was thinking Brooce.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »
BOS whatever gets you through the night.
It's alright!

Hey Ali!  Did you get my VM earlier this week? Was that you?

and how's the job?
Heard VM. I was at work. Not me on the radio. I'll update you via direct email or can phone, I'm off today and trying to get stuff done. You can tell I'm working hard right now  ;)
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:18 AM »
Oz never did give nothing...

BOS #3 America

ETA:  and a preemptory "Tropic of Sir Galhad JINX"

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:39 AM »

Dave, their name kinda bugs me too, though I think they're pretty talented and I don't mind their sound.
Now I'm eight bits...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:42 AM »

I like them well enough, and they are enjoyable live.  Nothing mind-blowingly good about them though.  Not in Los Lobos' league, but not without talent, either.
Couldn't put it any better.  I've seen them twice & Henry Garza is a bonafide guitar god.  They are very accomplished performers collectively, but rather weak songwriters.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 10:22:12 AM »
BOS poor screwed-up Shuggie.  But I thought this was from '73?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »

It was me, I called them boring, but it's not an active dislike as much as a "meh... why are they on the radio again?  Oh yeah, it's KFOG."

~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »
BOS whatever gets you through the night.
It's alright!

Hey Ali!  Did you get my VM earlier this week? Was that you?

and how's the job?
Heard VM. I was at work. Not me on the radio. I'll update you via direct email or can phone, I'm off today and trying to get stuff done. You can tell I'm working hard right now  ;)

I'm posting something about a possible South Bay lunch on the Next Club Get-together thread.  Ali & Dave , be sure to check it & let me know.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »

Couldn't put it any better.  I've seen them twice & Henry Garza is a bonafide guitar god.  They are very accomplished performers collectively, but rather weak songwriters.

A bit like Los Lobos in that respect I'd say, who can do some mighty fine covers.
Now I'm eight bits...

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 10:25:16 AM »

It was me, I called them boring, but it's not an active dislike as much as a "meh... why are they on the radio again?  Oh yeah, it's KFOG."

I'd go along with that.

BOS Shuggie, the worst headliner I ever saw at the Fillmore. Nearly emptied the house inside of half an hour.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 10:25:49 AM »

yes!  well put, the big lonely brother can sure play his guitar -- I did see some concert footage and I admit I would prob enjoy them live.  
~CPL593H~