Author Topic: 29 April 2009--it's 1983  (Read 10558 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 29 April 2009--it's 1983
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »
Anyone else's stream start buffering about a minute into True? Mine did.

(It also died entirely about 9:40, but I was able to relaunch.)

Fother MUCKER, there it goes again!

don't worry, you're only missing the 8 billionth play of "Rock the casbah"
in a KFOG-sense, I identify Casbah with the first song they would play after the Psychedelic Supper, to bring you back to reality.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »

in a KFOG-sense, I identify Casbah with the first song they would play after the Psychedelic Supper, to bring you back to reality.

So, this was actually in '82/'83?  How long was "Psychedelic Supper", and when did that feature last until (year-wise)?  There was a syndicated feature in the mid-'80s called "Psychedelic Psix-Pack" (6 more-or-less psychedelic tunes) that one of the rock stations in NYC used to carry, alongside a "Soul Patrol" feature (3 soul songs). But PPP got cancelled after a few months because people complained that it was somehow "promoting drugs". Seriously.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
4/29/09 - Wednesday!  A bit of time in...1983!!!

1.  David Bowie - Let's Dance
   2.  Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio
   3.  Greg Kihn Band - Jeopardy
   4.  Police - Walking in Your Footsteps
   5.  Donald Fagen - New Frontier (BEST OF SET!!)
   6.  The Fixx - One Thing Leads to Another
   7.  Spandau Ballet - True
   8.  REM - Catapult
   9.  The Clash - Rock the Casbah
 10.  The Call - The Walls Came Down

BONUS TRACK:  New Order - Age of Consent

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 03:05:10 PM »

So, this was actually in '82/'83?  How long was "Psychedelic Supper", and when did that feature last until (year-wise)?  There was a syndicated feature in the mid-'80s called "Psychedelic Psix-Pack" (6 more-or-less psychedelic tunes) that one of the rock stations in NYC used to carry, alongside a "Soul Patrol" feature (3 soul songs). But PPP got cancelled after a few months because people complained that it was somehow "promoting drugs". Seriously.
well, in the big picture, it didn't last very long.  I really dug it, as I was often driving home, past the panhandle at the time, and could see the ghosts on my left on my way westward.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 08:53:13 PM »
FYI, Larry's doing a One Hit Wonder theme set. So far:

Come On, Eileen (the song title that becomes X-rated if you leave out the punctuation)

Very relevant comic today!
http://www.xkcd.com/

I confess, I cribbed my comment from this t-shirt, found on a former coworker's cafe press page:
http://www.cafepress.com/siftin.182951599

Haha, I LOVE that!  Very tempted to order one.

Meantime, nice bonus track today!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »

BOS #3 for Fagen

Wearing Ambush & a French wig, she's got us wild & she can tell.

This song is one quotable quote after another.  When I was living in Boston in the fall of '95, the oldies DJ on the overnight shift used to throw into his conversation "let's pretend that it's the real thing, and stay together all night long."

Funny thing, though - I didn't like the song at the time.  I thought it didn't "rock."  But I was transfixed by the video (sadly not on YouTube).  Years later I came around.  (Same was true of the Dan, whom I didn't like until I got to college.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 12:44:03 AM »
I normally would have listened to this entire set coming home leaving the Giants game as I put my radio on while riding the bus but for some reason, I kept my radio on the Bone, which played In a Gadda Da Vidda and I spent over 1/3rd of my 45 minute ride listening to that song before I turned to KFOG for the last few songs because 1983 would rank as one my favorite years.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
I normally would have listened to this entire set coming home leaving the Giants game as I put my radio on while riding the bus but for some reason, I kept my radio on the Bone, which played In a Gadda Da Vidda and I spent over 1/3rd of my 45 minute ride listening to that song before I turned to KFOG for the last few songs because 1983 would rank as one my favorite years.

Apparently the Bone's been playing "IGDV" a lot lately -- the looooooooooong version -- and I'm not sure why.  I rarely listen to them and yet I've heard it twice in the past month.  I'm wondering if Cumulus is trying to re-position them as an older-skewing Classic Rock station so they can youth-ify KFOG.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 07:46:17 AM »

Apparently the Bone's been playing "IGDV" a lot lately -- the looooooooooong version -- and I'm not sure why.  I rarely listen to them and yet I've heard it twice in the past month.  I'm wondering if Cumulus is trying to re-position them as an older-skewing Classic Rock station so they can youth-ify KFOG.
they're trying to throw me overboard to the Bone?
 >:(

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »

quite possibly.  The Bone has tried to lower their demos for the past 10 years, adding '90s stuff to the mix, so suddenly (over)playing I. Ron Butterfly seems really odd to me.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 09:08:09 AM »

quite possibly.  The Bone has tried to lower their demos for the past 10 years, adding '90s stuff to the mix, so suddenly (over)playing I. Ron Butterfly seems really odd to me.
Iron Butterfly is not going to do it for me!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 09:16:44 AM »

Iron Butterfly is not going to do it for me!

I'm going to start calling Cumulus "without-a-clue-ulus", based on how they're running KFOG and the Bone.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 09:33:09 AM »

Maybe they've got a DJ who has a bladder condition. Or a big pot habit.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 10:02:07 AM »

Haha, that was my reaction.

SFGuy

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 12:00:06 AM »

I have a friend who is a DJ for a radio station in Sacramento. I could joke with him that he could play this song (the long version) if he wanted to leave the station early to try and get to a Giants game mid-week. He couldn't do this because the music he plays is current top 40.