Author Topic: 6 April 2009: 1978  (Read 5755 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 6 April 2009: 1978
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 11:41:22 AM »
HM to Yvonne Elliman.  Yeah, she might be a "whiny face" but I think she's hot.  and I love the urgency of this song.

BOS to Joe Walsh.  (btw, he does an open tuning of sorts on his guitar here, for all you axe wielders) .  When I saw Joe at the Fillmore in 2000(?), I was waiting for this one, and he obliged! (high five, bro!) 

Of course, it was right then that my girlfriend decided to ask me some COMPLETELY UNRELATED and DISTRACTING question that I couldn't address with a simple Yes or No, so I shushed her and said "I NEED TO HEAR HIM PLAY THIS!"  It didn't go over well w her.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:46:04 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »
HM to Yvonne Elliman.  Yeah, she might be a "whiny face" but I think she's hot. 

as noted in the AT40 thread this wknd, it's the Magician's Assistant song -- "If I Can't Halve You".

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »
HM to Yvonne Elliman.  Yeah, she might be a "whiny face" but I think she's hot. 
as noted in the AT40 thread this wknd, it's the Magician's Assistant song -- "If I Can't Halve You".

yes, a good one.  I laughed at that yesterday for more than one reason: I was thinking of the phrase "old saw" when I saw that comic, and as soon as Yvonne Elliman came on, I KNEW someone was going to trot out that phrase and refer to her as "Old Whinyface" yet again!  ;)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »
4/6/09 - Monday...  Dancin' through,....1978!!!

1.  Foreigner - Long Long Way From Home
   2.  Journey - Wheel in the Sky
   3.  Moody Blues - Driftwood
   4.  The Cars - All Mixed Up
   5.  Olivia Newton John - A Little More Love (BEST OF SET!)
   6.  ELO - Mr. Blue Sky (BEST OF SET!!)
   7.  Warren Zevon - Johnny Strikes Up the Band
   8.  Billy Joel - My Life
   9.  Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You
 10.  Joe Walsh - Indian Summer

BONUS TRACK:  Earth, Wind & Fire - September

er, "dancin' through 1978"?? There's exactly one disco tune in the set. Jus' sayin'...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »

er, "dancin' through 1978"?? There's exactly one disco tune in the set. Jus' sayin'...

I would have included tunes #5 & 9 in that category.  In 1978 all my HS classmates were going to a disco place called Michael's & the Time Machine (& the fact that the main disco club in St. Louis county was an all-ages club tells you a whole bunch of things about the midwest).  But anyway, I distinctly remember that both of these tunes were big favorites.  Curious which one wouldn't make your cut.

Either way, neither 1 nor 2 tunes really makes this a disco set,

"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 03:25:35 PM »

I would have included tunes #5 & 9 in that category.  In 1978 all my HS classmates were going to a disco place called Michael's & the Time Machine (& the fact that the main disco club in St. Louis county was an all-ages club tells you a whole bunch of things about the midwest).  But anyway, I distinctly remember that both of these tunes were big favorites.  Curious which one wouldn't make your cut.

I don't consider the ONJ a disco tune; too slow. But I'm sure it made the cut in a Midwestern club. ::) Actually, the ELO is closer to disco than ONJ.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 03:33:21 PM »

I don't consider the ONJ a disco tune; too slow. But I'm sure it made the cut in a Midwestern club. ::) Actually, the ELO is closer to disco than ONJ.

In retrospect, the funniest part of all this is that it makes me seriously wonder how many of my disco-loving classmates went out & got coked up & molested at that club. (keep in mind that I was my high school's only proghead in 1977-78, before becoming one of only 3 or 4 punk-minded kids in 1978-79.  Not that we had mohawks & safety pins, mind, but we did listen to it & play it on our HS radio station.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:37:51 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »
8.  Billy Joel - My Life
listening to this in the car today, it really seemed like a McCartney wanna-be song!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!