Author Topic: The Facebook Thread  (Read 69126 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the new look
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 02:15:38 PM »
I don't normally pay much attention to those whiners about how Facebook does this and that, but I just gotta say that I find it very difficult to get where I want to go in the new interface.  Groups are very hidden.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: the new look
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
I don't normally pay much attention to those whiners about how Facebook does this and that, but I just gotta say that I find it very difficult to get where I want to go in the new interface.  Groups are very hidden.

Seems to be pretty much agreed that their new interface is not terribly intuitive, and the "feed" on your home page is pulling in way more unnecessary crap than it used to. There's a voting page on FB for whether people like it or not, and last I looked, the "against" vote was ahead, by a ratio of something like 15 to 1.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 02:43:05 PM »

Seems to be pretty much agreed that their new interface is not terribly intuitive, and the "feed" on your home page is pulling in way more unnecessary crap than it used to. There's a voting page on FB for whether people like it or not, and last I looked, the "against" vote was ahead, by a ratio of something like 15 to 1.

a colleague who's on FB posted a message to specific person as his "status."  So where you normally expect to see things like
 "Geoff Gould just bought extra blueberries at Costco!    (a true classic, really)

... I saw his message
"Joe Schmoe wow dude, sucks to be you!  I think my job is safe, we'll see... say Hi to Kate!"
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 02:47:18 PM »

a colleague who's on FB posted a message to specific person as his "status."  So where you normally expect to see things like
 "Geoff Gould just bought extra blueberries at Costco!    (a true classic, really)

... I saw his message
"Joe Schmoe wow dude, sucks to be you!  I think my job is safe, we'll see... say Hi to Kate!"

A good piece on the whole Facebook remodel by Chris Willman of EW, writing on HuffPost:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-willman/facebooks-lousy-facelift_b_175358.html
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Facebook Thread
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 03:32:47 PM »
One of my Facebook "friends" is a woman named Rita Houston; I worked with her at ABC in the '80s and she has been Music Director at WFUV for a dozen years.  So I'm looking at a posting of hers on my feed and one of *her* friends who commented on her post is... Haley Jones, former KFOG Music Director who's now at The Sound in LA!

Would it be bad FB etiquette to send her a message asking for a streaming link that works?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
One of my Facebook "friends" is a woman named Rita Houston; I worked with her at ABC in the '80s and she has been Music Director at WFUV for a dozen years.  So I'm looking at a posting of hers on my feed and one of *her* friends who commented on her post is... Haley Jones, former KFOG Music Director who's now at The Sound in LA!

Would it be bad FB etiquette to send her a message asking for a streaming link that works?

Not if yo're polite/diplomatic about it.  And while you're at it, ask her to set up the sets to repeat in the evenings!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 08:00:48 PM »

just curious, the link I setup seems to work just fine.  Is this a rare case where the Macs work and the Windows don't?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 08:22:08 PM »

just curious, the link I setup seems to work just fine.  Is this a rare case where the Macs work and the Windows don't?

As I've explained a number of times, I can't use their "new" player option because it involves downloading Silverlight and we're not allowed to download software at work. And I can't use their "old" (non-Silverlight) player link because players powered by Liquid Compass flat-out DO NOT WORK on my work computer for reasons I cannot explain. I am alone in this.

I've emailed the station (twice) asking for an "old-school" WMP streaming link but they have never replied.   

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 09:46:14 PM »

As I've explained a number of times, I can't use their "new" player option because it involves downloading Silverlight and we're not allowed to download software at work. And I can't use their "old" (non-Silverlight) player link because players powered by Liquid Compass flat-out DO NOT WORK on my work computer for reasons I cannot explain. I am alone in this.

I've emailed the station (twice) asking for an "old-school" WMP streaming link but they have never replied.   
sorry to have missed the thread.  I would normally not want to install these kind of programs either.  There must have been some reason I installed it, I just don't remember.  Maybe Darryl or Rod can hack the stream code?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 06:05:27 AM »

sorry to have missed the thread.  I would normally not want to install these kind of programs either.  There must have been some reason I installed it, I just don't remember.  Maybe Darryl or Rod can hack the stream code?

I'm on a Mac, and when I click "here to use basic player", it says my browser can't play it, and would I like Windows Media Player to do the job, and, yes, I sure do. Haven't had any problems in awhile. And I certainly wouldn't like to download some new player just to listen to reruns every now and then. :)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 11:44:44 AM »
Facebook has a purpose after all: I posted an old pic of me with the Princess, and an "older woman" I used to work with said "who's THAT? She's HOT!!"  She actually manages artists and wants to get Amelia some gigs!  Hooray!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »
I haven't been able to get to Facebook since before noon.  Seems like a major server crash on their end.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 05:37:24 PM »
I haven't been able to get to Facebook since before noon.  Seems like a major server crash on their end.
seems OK here.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 12:20:06 AM »
seems OK here.

Perhaps Kaiser has blocked Facebook access from your network. I've heard of other businesses doing it, theorizing that it's costing them lost work hours while their employees figure out what their 25 random things are.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 07:44:48 AM »
It's back.  If Kaiser had blocked it, I'd've gotten a screen that said so, but I was getting the "server not responding" message all afternoon.