Author Topic: The Sound (LA), 3/5/09: 1970...nope, it's Cowbells!  (Read 6166 times)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sound (LA), 3/5/09: 1970...nope, it's Cowbells!
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:04:15 AM »
GFR gets a VHM for tune #2, WAAB.  Tune #1, for those who didn't go to the KFOG thread first was Free "All Right Now".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:08:19 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sound (LA), 3/5/09: 1970
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »
GFR gets a VHM for tune #2.

Except We're an American Band was from '73. Either they selected the wrong song from the database, or this is a theme set of some kind.

ETA: Ah, they're doing the "cowbell" set. Been there, done that.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:06:15 AM »

Except We're an American Band was from '73. Either they selected the wrong song from the database, or this is a theme set of some kind.

songs that start with the letter "a"?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:07:11 AM »
GFR gets a VHM for tune #2, WAAB.  Tune #1, for those who didn't go to the KFOG thread first was Free "All Right Now".

so, is it '70 or '73?

BTW, since I can't listen to the Sound (dammit!)... is it strictly music or are there news/TV/movie clips and old commercials too?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:07:22 AM »

songs that start with the letter "a"?
Aplay that Funky Music, White Boy!
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:08:05 AM »

so, is it '70 or '73?

BTW, since I can't listen to the Sound (dammit!)... is it strictly music or are there news/TV/movie clips and old commercials too?
No clips, but the DJ cuts in now and then (or is it only once during the set?) to say stuff about the music.
But why can't you listen?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 10:10:14 AM »

so, is it '70 or '73?

No clips, but the DJ cuts in now and then (or is it only once during the set?) to say stuff about the music.

We just heard a clip from SNL of the "more cowbell" bit with Christopher Walken.

I'd expect we're going to hear Don't Fear the Reaper before long.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »

so, is it '70 or '73?

their player doesn't work for me -- I can't download their "new" player (Silverlight), and the old one doesn't work because (for some reason) Liquid Compass is incompatible with my work PC.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sound (LA), 3/5/09: 1970...nope, it's Cowbells!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:14:03 AM »
I laid her then she covered me in BOSes.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »
ETA: Ah, they're doing the "cowbell" set. Been there, done that.

I could have sworn Dave did a More Cowbell set some time in the last few years, but I don't find it in the DB. Anyone else remember this, or do I need another cuppa?
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 10:16:15 AM »

so, is it '70 or '73?

their player doesn't work for me -- I can't download their "new" player (Silverlight), and the old one doesn't work because (for some reason) Liquid Compass is incompatible with my work PC.

Can you ask for special dispensation to install Silverlight?  I assume you are on a Windows PC, right?  Silverlight is a MSFT product, can't think why it needs to stay on the blacklist.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
I laid her then she covered me in BOSes.

a famous "what did they really say?" line;  I believe radio stations were told it was "the lady said she'd cover me in roses". 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 10:19:21 AM »

so, is it '70 or '73?

Can you ask for special dispensation to install Silverlight?  I assume you are on a Windows PC, right?  Silverlight is a MSFT product, can't think why it needs to stay on the blacklist.

An admin has to install it using their password; this is true of any product. I'm afraid to raise the issue given that we're budget-cutting, and I don't want to give them ideas (like eliminating the ability to stream altogether).

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »

so, is it '70 or '73?

An admin has to install it using their password; this is true of any product. I'm afraid to raise the issue given that we're budget-cutting, and I don't want to give them ideas (like eliminating the ability to stream altogether).

Hmmm. What other apps does Silverlight enable? Any chance of finding a more legit one that would require your installing it?

ETA: Just did some quick reading--it enables "animation, vector graphics, and audio/video playback." So unless one of your vendors starts using it, you might have to wait til they 'upgrade' you to Windows 7.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:24:38 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »