Author Topic: 9@9? Yup, in Austin TX. (evolves into KMTT's "rip-offs" feature)  (Read 7747 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
http://www.1035bobfm.com/9at9/home.aspx

The station is "Bob", a variation on "Jack" ("we play anything"). 9am in Austin is 7am here, so if The Peak isn't floating your boat, now you have a choice.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:09:40 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 9@9? Yup, in Austin TX.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »
http://www.1035bobfm.com/9at9/home.aspx

The station is "Bob", a variation on "Jack" ("we play anything"). 9am in Austin is 7am here, so if The Peak isn't floating your boat, now you have a choice.

I've been in Austin a half dozen times in the past few years & have listened to that station in my rental car every time.  They really do play anything, and some of the transitions are pretty hairy.  But better than your average radio station to be sure.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:21:23 AM »
I didn't realize KGSR had gone with the "Bob/Max/Jack" format. They've been on the air in Austin under those call letters for a long while--my wife worked there part-time as a board op when she lived there in the early 90s.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:33:31 AM »
I didn't realize KGSR had gone with the "Bob/Max/Jack" format. They've been on the air in Austin under those call letters for a long while--my wife worked there part-time as a board op when she lived there in the early 90s.

KGSR is 107.1 -- "BOB" is 103.5

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:59:13 AM »

Ooops. The comment to the video said 9@9 was on KGSR. Guess Bobheads are just as dumb as Fogheads.

Must say that the proliferation of 10@10s around the country is pretty interesting though. Suddenly they seem to be popping up all over. LA, Austin, Long Island, Chicago, and the departed ones in Portland and Boulder (sigh), all emulating the long-standing KFOG feature. Wonder if Dave hasn't inadvertently spawned a whole trend in programming?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 12:02:43 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »

Ooops. The comment to the video said 9@9 was on KGSR. Guess Bobheads are just as dumb as Fogheads.

Must say that the proliferation of 10@10s around the country is pretty interesting though. Suddenly they seem to be popping up all over. LA, Austin, Long Island, Chicago, and the departed ones in Portland and Boulder (sigh), all emulating the long-standing KFOG feature. Wonder if Dave hasn't inadvertently spawned a whole trend in programming?

This morning, when I went to the KGSR website and found no trace of anything called "9@9", I googled and came up with "Bob" -- but I also came up with Seattle's "The Mountain", a Triple-A which I guess used to do a 9@9 (there's an empty page on their site with that heading).  I listened to them for a half hour or so; their morning guy makes Webster sound like Dave, snark-wise.  But they're doing a "Top 103 musical rip-offs of all time" -- songs that sound like other songs (e.g., "Another One Bites the Dust" rips off "Good Times"). Looks like they play one every hour, they're up to #30, countdown-style.

http://www.1037themountain.com/pages/3892585.php

Great list, and fodder for many arguments.  And the station uses the same voice guy that KFOG and KBCO use.

ETA: top of this hour (1pm) they played Genesis, "Misunderstanding", which they say rips off Zep's "Fool in the Rain".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:41:27 PM by RGMike »

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »

http://www.1037themountain.com/pages/3892585.ph

Great list, and fodder for many arguments.  And the station uses the same voice guy that KFOG and KBCO use.

ETA: top of this hour (1pm) they played Genesis, "Misunderstanding", which they say rips off Zep's "Fool in the Rain".

never noticed that before, but it totally does.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »

this is one of the most interesting features I've come across, I can't wait to hear the next one. Looking at the list, they haven't yet used the  Springsteen/Tommy Tutone or Springsteen/KISS examples.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:03:55 PM »

this is one of the most interesting features I've come across, I can't wait to hear the next one. Looking at the list, they haven't yet used the  Springsteen/Tommy Tutone or Springsteen/KISS examples.

Ha! Genesis' "Misunderstanding"shows up again -- this time as having had its melody ripped from Sly's "Hot Fun" (Phil Collins has admitted as much; he also says "Sail on sailor" and "Hold The Line" are in there).  A (county) pair of rip-offs, ya might say.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 02:07:31 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »
BWAHAHAHA! They're doing the Marley "Buffalo Soldier"/"Banana Splits Theme" comparison! Major kudos!

Don't know if they do this on the overnites or stop at 10pm or so; I sure hope I get to hear #1 sometime tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:09:01 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 9@9? Yup, in Austin TX. (evolves into KMTT's "rip-offs" feature)
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 07:36:05 AM »
seems this feature ends at 7pm each day; before I left at 4 yesterday they did the JJ "Breaking Us In 2"/Badfinger "Day After Day" comparison -- wonder if they'll do "Fools in Love" vs. "Watching the Detectives"?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 07:44:15 AM »
Austin "Bob" did 9 from '93 today:

Jimmy Cliff -I Can See Clearly Now
Haddaway -What Is Love
Pearl Jam -Daughter
Aerosmith -Cryin'
P.M. Dawn -Looking Through Patient Eyes
Red Hot Chili Peppers -Soul To Squeeze
Stereo MC's -Connected
Proclaimers -I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)
Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle -A Whole New World

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 08:39:29 AM »
had to happen: KMTT this past hour did the RHCPs "Dani, Calif" vs. Petty "Mary Jane's Last Dance" ripoff comparison.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 09:00:06 AM »
ripoff #21: TP's "Saving Grace", stealing from ZZT's "La Grange"  -- Saving Grange?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 09:34:25 AM »
TANC: It turns out former KFOG'er Haley Jones made a stop at KMTT in Seattle before moving on to The Sound in LA. (I was investigating KMTT's apparently defunct "9@9" feature and an article from 2006 came up that mentioned her as Music Director)