Author Topic: RIP Mitch Mitchell, Hendrix drummer, 61  (Read 3089 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
RIP Mitch Mitchell, Hendrix drummer, 61
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:16:32 PM »
Mshray and I just saw him perform in SF on Nov 3!  Video clip embedded in this article.
Mitch Mitchell, Hendrix drummer, found dead while on tour in Portland:
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/11/jimi_hendrixs_drummer_mitch_mi.html
Additional videos included in this news item:
www.popeater.com/music/article/mitch-mitchell-of-hendrix-experience/246398
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:26:17 PM by Wayback »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Mitch Mitchell, Hendrix drummer, 61
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »
Holy Crap!

Not only did I see him with Wayback, I shook his hand after and thanked him for a thrill of a lifetime.  Damn.

"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:37:19 PM »
damn indeed!  A monumental rock trio, all gone.  Mitch was so great.  I never saw him.   Sadness.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 07:54:22 AM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 09:56:13 AM »
damn indeed!  A monumental rock trio, all gone.  Mitch was so great.  I never saw him.   Sadness.

This would make, I suppose, the Jimi Hendrix Trio the first rock band to see all its original members pass away.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 10:06:02 AM »

This would make, I suppose, the Jimi Hendrix Trio the first rock band to see all its original members pass away.

Was thinking the same thing.  At least among the HOF entries.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 05:27:18 PM »
by accident today, i played one of those bootleg jimi cds i bought in the bargain bin. it claimed to be "the early years", but was really a jam session from '68 (with a fucked-up jim morrison singing an indecipherable rant over good licks). the person who wrote the liner notes described jimi as "the black elvis" which made me laugh to no end! and, "in" his "opinion", rick derringer is playing 2nd fiddle, and mitch mitchell is on drums. i think he's a crock, but it was my version of an inadvertent tribute, just the same.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 09:51:54 AM »
Official Mitchell obit press release. At bottom is video from Rolling Stones Rock'n'Roll Circus 1969, with Mitchell backing John Lennon, Eric Clapton and Keith Richards (whatta band!) on Lennon's "Yer Blues":
http://www.ibabuzz.com/concerts/2008/11/13/mitch-mitchell-official-obit/

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 09:58:22 AM »
Holy Crap!

Not only did I see him with Wayback, I shook his hand after and thanked him for a thrill of a lifetime.  Damn.

How did he look when you guys saw him? I just read the news story in the Oregonian and they had a couple of quotes saying he didn't look well before the show, and that he'd only played on one song during the show here.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/11/jimi_hendrixs_drummer_mitch_mi.html
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:00:14 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 10:06:40 AM »
Holy Crap!

How did he look when you guys saw him? I just read the news story in the Oregonian and they had a couple of quotes saying he didn't look well before the show, and that he'd only played on one song during the show here.

He was very cheerful, got on the mike a couple of times & said some very nice things about Eric Johnson at one point, since EJ was leaving the tour after our show.  He played on several songs, but iirc, he was never the only drummer (they had three kits set up, and at least once they had 3 drummers drummming).  I could certainly agree that he looked a little worse for wear and tear, but his spirits were clearly up.

I'm still sad about it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 03:17:48 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 11:06:18 AM »
We were about 4 rows from stage right, so could easily see behind drum kits and some of backstage area thru opening in center curtain.  He was wearing a can't miss green Hawaiian shirt, open over a t-shirt and blue jeans.  He'd sometimes sit on back corner of drum riser, our side, enjoying the musicians and drinking from a water bottle.  He didn't seem ill at the time, but did hobble a bit, not unusual really.  Perhaps he had a pre-existing condition and/or fell ill in the week after we saw him.  Or his heart just stopped.  Whoever mentioned it I think is correct, his passing is first time a major band has lost all its original members.  Will have to do some research on that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:07:54 AM by Wayback »