Author Topic: KBCO, 10/17/08: 1968!  (Read 6071 times)

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KBCO, 10/17/08: 1968!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 09:28:21 AM »
Was it Mike that said Ginger has an obscure Van track for every year?

Here's further proof - "Cypress Avenue".  Never, ever heard this on the radio before.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
Was it Mike that said Ginger has an obscure Van track for every year?

indeed, which shows you how many albums he's made!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 09:35:05 AM »
Ginger LURVES her some Oliver!

BOS9 the 'oo. ahwanitahwanitahwanit!

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 09:35:57 AM »
"Magic Bus", my 2nd favorite #25 song of all time.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
Fresh Garbage BOS#2

ooh, sorry I missed this one:

Look beneath your lid some morning...

man, now that is a dated lyric

Is that a drug reference?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 10:24:15 AM »
Fresh Garbage BOS#2

On the chance that you're asking earnestly, I respond: Yep. I can't explain the etymology, but an ounce of pot used to be called a "lid." That phrase went out in the late 70s, probably around the time an ounce of pot became too expensive for the average college student to afford.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 10:32:35 AM »
Fresh Garbage BOS#2

On the chance that you're asking earnestly, I respond: Yep. I can't explain the etymology, but an ounce of pot used to be called a "lid." That phrase went out in the late 70s, probably around the time an ounce of pot became too expensive for the average college student to afford.

I was indeed asking earnestly: I thought I'd heard the phrase "a lid" before, but wasn't sure.

And I can't imagine buying an entire ounce of pot today.  Eighths have become the standard here.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 10:43:49 AM »
Fresh Garbage BOS#2

I was indeed asking earnestly: I thought I'd heard the phrase "a lid" before, but wasn't sure.

And I can't imagine buying an entire ounce of pot today.  Eighths have become the standard here.

When I started college, you could get an ounce of pretty good Columbo for $50, which at the time was a fair amount of cash, but within reason. By the time I graduated in 82, sinsemilla had come along and a quarter ounce was the standard measure, and that went for $30 or $40, iirc.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »
Fresh Garbage BOS#2

When I started college, you could get an ounce of pretty good Columbo for $50, which at the time was a fair amount of cash, but within reason. By the time I graduated in 82, sinsemilla had come along and a quarter ounce was the standard measure, and that went for $30 or $40, iirc.

as Bill Maher said this weekend: "The government is looking for new revenue streams to tax... NOW can we please legalize pot??"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
Fresh Garbage BOS#2

One morning in '78 I got on the school bus and, for whatever reason, I had a twenty dollar bill - which was a lot of money back then for a kid in middle school.  The smart-ass doper (aka "head") said, "Hey man, wanna buy an ounce?" 

Based on urth's, uh, expertise on the price of weed back then, I suppose that was pretty crappy stuff, but I've always kept that incident as a reference point for what pot costs.  Talk about weed-flation.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:32:13 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 08:16:02 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't be so brazen about knowing these things, but going rate for an eighth in NYC these days is $50-$60.  At least if one wants decent stuff with quality assurance.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 09:36:17 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't be so brazen about knowing these things, but going rate for an eighth in NYC these days is $50-$60.  At least if one wants decent stuff with quality assurance.

We need something like The Economist's Big Mac index, where they compare the cost of a Big Mac globally.  The Dime Bag index?  For example - how much did a fifth of Cuervo or a gram of coke cost in those times/places we've referenced on this thread?

My guess is that pot has always been a bit more pricey than alcohol and much cheaper than any other recreational chemical.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 09:52:25 PM »

We need something like The Economist's Big Mac index, where they compare the cost of a Big Mac globally.  The Dime Bag index?  For example - how much did a fifth of Cuervo or a gram of coke cost in those times/places we've referenced on this thread?

My guess is that pot has always been a bit more pricey than alcohol and much cheaper than any other recreational chemical.

I might point out that, by its very name, a dime bag has always cost 10 bucks. The variable is, how much does one get for one's "dime"?
Let's get right to it.