Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 459877 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local radio news
« Reply #420 on: March 16, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »
I've been digging "Kids" too, and on hearing it in the car this morning was wondering what you thought of it.

If you like "Such Great Heights" have you heard their song "We Will Become Silhouettes"? 

"Kids" might be my song of the year for '09, though I can't decouple it from its video.

I've never heard WWBS; checking it out on YouTube right now.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 21, 2009, 10:36:37 AM »
One of the odder theme weekends I've encountered: True Oldies is doing a "What About Bob?" weekend, featuring songs by artists named Bob, Bobby and Robert. I've heard Bobby Vee and Bobby Darin so far. Wonder if Bobbie Gentry is included?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 25, 2009, 01:21:52 PM »
The Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame is taking votes for this year's class here:
http://www.bayarearadio.org/hof/index.shtml

Nominees include Dave Morey. He's been nomm'ed before but I bet this year he gets in on a slam dunk.

Also, noticed in last weekend's Radio Waves column that KCBS has unseated KGO as the number 1 station in this market for the first time since July of 1978.  They're also tops in the all-important 25-54 demographic. KFOG tied for 9th with Wild 94.9.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 25, 2009, 02:03:09 PM »

Nominees include Dave Morey. He's been nomm'ed before but I bet this year he gets in on a slam dunk.

I bet Joe Starkey gets in too. Looks like you can vote multiple times You can only vote once per category.

I'll be interested to see if KFOG promotes this in any way, they ought to give it a mention or two on the air, don'cha think?  It'd be swell if he returned to 10@10 as "Hall of Fame Broadcaster Dave Morey"

I was amused to see Lori Thompson listed in the news category. She was a great foil/sidekick for Alex Bennett for many years, but I never thought of her as a great newsperson (she also did news for Don Bleu on K-101 after she left Live 105). Kinda like nominating Renee in the Traffic category.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 02:04:56 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 09, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »

I bet Joe Starkey gets in too. Looks like you can vote multiple times You can only vote once per category.

I'll be interested to see if KFOG promotes this in any way, they ought to give it a mention or two on the air, don'cha think?  It'd be swell if he returned to 10@10 as "Hall of Fame Broadcaster Dave Morey"

UPDATE: I have not heard this mentioned on KFOG in the last 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, automation is everywhere -- this KPIG story is a couple weeks old:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_11998928?IADID=Search-www.santacruzsentinel.com-www.santacruzsentinel.com

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 10, 2009, 09:02:16 AM »
Ian McLagan, keyboardist for The (Small) FAces, will be on Fresh Air (91.7 KALW FM) in the 9 AM hour.

(He was once asked to join the Grateful Dead, but declined b/c he found the music too tedious.  oh... snap, dude!)

ETA: Correx:  he wasn't asked by the band to join outright, he was asked to submit a tape of his playing along with the GD music.  He bought one of their records, sat down to listen, and decided "it sucked". 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:52:52 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 10, 2009, 09:30:45 AM »
Ian McLagan, keyboardist for The (Small) FAces, will be on Fresh Air (91.7 KALW FM) in the 9 AM hour.

(He was once asked to join the Grateful Dead, but declined b/c he found the music too tedious.  oh... snap, dude!)

He should've said that he declined b/c he liked his life.  (Except Bruce Hornsby appears to have broken that curse.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 10, 2009, 09:33:41 AM »

He should've said that he declined b/c he liked his life.  (Except Bruce Hornsby appears to have broken that curse.)

of course in Hornsby's case, hooking up with the Dead was a step up from tedious to slightly-less-tedious. ;)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 10, 2009, 09:48:39 AM »

Hornsby wasn't a full official member, just an occasional pinch hitter. Vince Welnick however was inducted into the band, and has since crossed over. So the curse lives on.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 11, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »
The Star 101.3 van was in the Mission today. Across the back it says: "Wake up with Don Bleu! Go home with Ryan Seacrest!"  Gawd I can't imagine two less appetizing options. Bleu is pushing 70 and Ryan Seacrest is, er, Ryan Seacrest.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 13, 2009, 09:59:18 PM »
Peter Hartlaub writes a blog post bemoaning the loss of Live 105's morning show, "The Woody Show", and the comments almost to a man say "good riddance."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/parenting/detail?entry_id=38351&tsp=1
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 13, 2009, 10:02:17 PM »
Peter Hartlaub writes a blog post bemoaning the loss of Live 105's morning show, "The Woody Show", and the comments almost to a man say "good riddance."

Remember last year, when Hartlaub wrote a piece on local morning shows and called Dave "something of a crank" (this was before his retirement announcement)? But he liked Woody? Wha?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 14, 2009, 08:16:34 AM »

Remember last year, when Hartlaub wrote a piece on local morning shows and called Dave "something of a crank" (this was before his retirement announcement)? But he liked Woody? Wha?

I bet calling Dave a crank was a little playful dig at Tim Goodman
b/c of his connection to The Morning Show.  :)

Those two sit right next to each other at work (and get along very well, btw).
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 16, 2009, 08:51:51 AM »
not local, but a sad radio story from Northeast Pennsylvania: WARM goes cold.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/WARM__once-hot_station__goes_cold_04-16-2009.html

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 17, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »
The Star 101.3 van was in the Mission today. Across the back it says: "Wake up with Don Bleu! Go home with Ryan Seacrest!"  Gawd I can't imagine two less appetizing options. Bleu is pushing 70 and Ryan Seacrest is, er, Ryan Seacrest.
Worse or weirder would be to go home with Ryan and wake up to the Woody show with Don.
eeewwwwwwww.
Sharks bleed teal.