Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456204 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #810 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:27 PM »
Big news: KGO fires Burns, Taliafero, Gil Gross... they'll be "all-news" from 2pm-midnite starting next week. Cumulus strikes again.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/01/MNMM1M7B9E.DTL&tsp=1

Big Rick posted this on his FB page and asked, "I wonder if a finch will fly in the front door?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 01, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »
Big news: KGO fires Burns, Taliafero, Gil Gross... they'll be "all-news" from 2pm-midnite starting next week. Cumulus strikes again.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/01/MNMM1M7B9E.DTL&tsp=1

Big Rick posted this on his FB page and asked, "I wonder if a finch will fly in the front door?"

Yeah, I'm guessing that was the "opportunity" he hinted at
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 02, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »

The Finch just FB'd that he will be at KGO on Monday.
Sharks bleed teal.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 02, 2011, 04:24:55 PM »
Also out at KGO - Bill Wattenburg, Len Tillam, Joannie Greggins, John Rothmann, Lloyd Lindsay-Young.
The inside story of the bloodbath at KGO: http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:47:51 PM by Wayback »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 02, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »

The Finch just FB'd that he will be at KGO on Monday.

Evening news anchor, 7pm to midnight. Wow, his circadian rhythm is going to be double-clutching for awhile to adjust to that, after doing early am shifts for 14 years up until just over a week ago.

Oh, and Peter's pic has now been excised from the KFOG staff page. Renee is still shown between Webster and Irish Greg, implying that she's still part of the morning show--is that the case or is she now strictly on afternoons with DC? Not sure based on previous comments here.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:14:47 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 02, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »
Also out at KGO - Bill Wattenburg, Len Tillam, Joannie Greggins, John Rothmann, Lloyd Lindsay-Young.
The inside story of the bloodbath at KGO: http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com/
Nice, not so nice. Was Peter tapped for KGO prior to departing KFOG and knew what was going to go down? He'll be back at 55 Hawthorne if he lasts a few months.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 02, 2011, 06:10:58 PM »
Oh, and Peter's pic has now been excised from the KFOG staff page. Renee is still shown between Webster and Irish Greg, implying that she's still part of the morning show--is that the case or is she now strictly on afternoons with DC? Not sure based on previous comments here.

It's unclear -- she was not on in mornings this week (but was on with DC in the PM). But the "auditioner" for Peter's job this week was a woman (Jen Lee from Metro Traffic)  so maybe they didn't want 2 female voices on at once. 

And yes, Ali, Peter made comments about "an amazing opportunity" that he wasn't at liberty to etc etc, so I think he knew he was going to KGO.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 02, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »

And yes, Ali, Peter made comments about "an amazing opportunity" that he wasn't at liberty to etc etc, so I think he knew he was going to KGO.

Now that we know where he's going, it would almost have to be previously arranged. The timing is too perfect--for him to leave a job at a major market station and two weeks later start at another station with the same ownership in the same market is beyond coincidental.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 04, 2011, 12:09:53 PM »
Spent time in the car yeasterday listening to Kiss-FM -- very enjoyable and quite a few surprises like Bell Biv Devoe's "Poison", one of Shannon's *other* hits, "Give Me Tonight" (!) and interesting token white folks like Spandau Ballet.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 04, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »
Spent time in the car yeasterday listening to Kiss-FM -- very enjoyable and quite a few surprises like Bell Biv Devoe's "Poison", one of Shannon's *other* hits, "Give Me Tonight" (!) and interesting token white folks like Spandau Ballet.
I listen to Renel every weekday morning. No more KFOG for me.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 05, 2011, 07:41:38 AM »

I'm not a big Renel fan and Kiss is as repetitive as any other station if you listen often. I may switch to Oldies 103.7 in Jan when Don Bleu moves over there -- hope they give him a decent newsperson.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 05, 2011, 10:04:55 AM »

I'm not a big Renel fan and Kiss is as repetitive as any other station if you listen often. I may switch to Oldies 103.7 in Jan when Don Bleu moves over there -- hope they give him a decent newsperson.

I'm all over the dial in the mornings, but usually make extended stops at KQED and/or KALW to make me feel like I'm keeping on top of something newsworthy.  I like the music on 98.1, but I'm not a big fan of Renel on the air either.   And I can't change the station fast enough when they do that celebrity gossip bit.  That makes my head explode, form and content both.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 06, 2011, 07:55:23 AM »
switched on KGO last nite around 8:45 just to hear what Peter Finch sounded like. He introduced a sports report that wasn't there (oops!) and then went to a "Music Report" featuring "my friends Renee and Dennis from our sister station KFOG"  ::)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 06, 2011, 08:59:09 AM »
switched on KGO last nite around 8:45 just to hear what Peter Finch sounded like. He introduced a sports report that wasn't there (oops!) and then went to a "Music Report" featuring "my friends Renee and Dennis from our sister station KFOG"  ::)

I did the same around 10:15--and he wasn't there. I thought he was doing 7 to midnight, but just listened to an interview he did on Channel 7 yesterday and he said his hours are 7 to 10.  That seems to be a change--last week he def. said midnight was when his shift ended. Or maybe they're breaking him in slowly to the evening shift.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 07, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
Really shitty news:

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/99558/clear-channel-san-francisco-shuffles-talk-station-

Cause what we need is more Glenn Beck & Armstrong/Getty  >:(