Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456242 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #780 on: September 16, 2011, 08:11:35 PM »
Damn, Big Rick must hate KFOG with a passion:  It seems every other day he posts stuff on FB like "It's a Coldplay-free day on KFOX show".  Today it's an "Adele-free Friday".  Bitter, much?

Snarkiness is transferable, I guess. When he was on Live 105 he made fun of people who listened to dinosaur Classic Rock; now he's on a dinosaur Classic Rock station so he had to switch targets.  I mean, an "Adele-free Friday" sounds great to me but not if you're just replacing her with Skynyrd.
Funny, that's why I liked him better on KFOG.  He was too snarky for my milquetoast tastes on Live 105.  He seemed more comfortable at KFOG.  I guess now he's just bitter.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 17, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
Speaking of, Live 105 has improved drastically these past few weeks too.  They've added a lot more variety other than the same RedHotFooStoneTempleFighterPilotsAgainsttheNiranaMachine songs all day, started playing current (meaning not two year old like their previous definition of "current") & made their 90s weekends permanent. 

Spoke too soon; they just did away with their 90s weekends this week.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 26, 2011, 09:10:34 AM »
Last year I stopped listening to Little Steven on Sunday nites -- The Bone was consistently screwing up the show (playing segments in the wrong order, or leaving segments out, or playing last weeks show...) and it was preferable to catch up with him on his website during the week. And i discovered the Autumn King's wonderful Sun nite oldies show on KPOO.

Autumn King was off last nite (first weekend of Autumn ... coincidence?) and I listened to The Bone. They didn't screw up Steven, but it was interesting hearing them a year-and-a-half later and finding they're still using the same "KSAN Underground Radio" sounders they've been using on Sunday nites for the past 8 years. And Joel Selvin's show is still on too -- last nite he played a vintage Otis Redding "live at the Whiskey a-Go-Go" tape from 1966. Nice to see some things never change; consider the several different line-ups KFOG has had in that timeslot in the last decade.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:28 AM »
Last year I stopped listening to Little Steven on Sunday nites -- The Bone was consistently screwing up the show (playing segments in the wrong order, or leaving segments out, or playing last weeks show...) and it was preferable to catch up with him on his website during the week. And i discovered the Autumn King's wonderful Sun nite oldies show on KPOO.

Autumn King was off last nite (first weekend of Autumn ... coincidence?) and I listened to The Bone. They didn't screw up Steven, but it was interesting hearing them a year-and-a-half later and finding they're still using the same "KSAN Underground Radio" sounders they've been using on Sunday nites for the past 8 years. And Joel Selvin's show is still on too -- last nite he played a vintage Otis Redding "live at the Whiskey a-Go-Go" tape from 1966. Nice to see some things never change; consider the several different line-ups KFOG has had in that timeslot in the last decade.

Does DC have any responsibility over the Bone as well as KFOG? If he does, I'd guess that the only reason changes haven't been made to Sunday nights there is that it's a ratings ghost town during that daypart and not worth his time to mess with--yet. Or maybe those shows are actually pulling numbers he considers acceptable for that slot.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 26, 2011, 09:57:19 AM »

Does DC have any responsibility over the Bone as well as KFOG? If he does, I'd guess that the only reason changes haven't been made to Sunday nights there is that it's a ratings ghost town during that daypart and not worth his time to mess with--yet. Or maybe those shows are actually pulling numbers he considers acceptable for that slot.

DC has supervisory capacity over The Bone; Madden (formerly of Live 105 and Channel 92.3) is the actual PD. I have to assume Little Steven does OK, since they've kept him all this time (and if they dumped him I'm sure K-Fox would snap him up). KFOG meanwhile, in the 9pm slot has had House o'Blues (now at midnite), that jamband/"groove" show whose name I can't recall, the Sideshow, and now the British dude. Have I forgotten anything?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 26, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »

DC has supervisory capacity over The Bone; Madden (formerly of Live 105 and Channel 92.3) is the actual PD. I have to assume Little Steven does OK, since they've kept him all this time (and if they dumped him I'm sure K-Fox would snap him up). KFOG meanwhile, in the 9pm slot has had House o'Blues (now at midnite), that jamband/"groove" show whose name I can't recall, the Sideshow, and now the British dude. Have I forgotten anything?

The "jamband/groove show" was the one Mike Powers hosted for years, yes? I don't recall what he called it either.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 04, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
So the Sound is doing an entire weekend of "Connected"-type sets -- they're looking for suggestions in a shitload of categories and will play the 5-song sets starting Friday afternoon...

http://thesoundla.com/?sid=3759&nid=55

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 04, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
So the Sound is doing an entire weekend of "Connected"-type sets -- they're looking for suggestions in a shitload of categories and will play the 5-song sets starting Friday afternoon...

great idea! 

I like this category:  "Rush Songs That Aren't Played Enough"

uh.. ALL of them!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 05, 2011, 08:37:48 AM »
KNBR's Ralph Barbieri reveals his "secret": he has Parkinsons.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/05/SPT01LDDVS.DTL

For years I thought his "secret" was that he was gay. And apparently he's straight, but that whole surrogate-mother thing struck me as really odd at the time.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 05, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
I know that syndicated radio, where a celeb (like John Tesh) is made to sound like he's doing a show on KRAP in Bumfuck, Iowa, is generally bad, but I'm listening to the Donny Osmond show on CKRU, and jeezus talk about a disembodied voice reading OBVIOUS liners (repeated multiple times an hour) and seeming shoehorned-in... gawd this is even worse than I expected it to be.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 05, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »

great idea! 

I like this category:  "Rush Songs That Aren't Played Enough"

uh.. ALL of them!
Noooooooooooo. Please Nooooooooooo.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 08, 2011, 02:37:54 PM »
In the car for Saturday errands, doin' the ol' BB&B/Trader Joe's 2-step. And I turn on Oldies 103.7 and get "Sweet Home Ala-bummer". I let out a blood-curdling "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" and hit The Bone... they're playing "Killer Queen". Yeesh. Then I hit Live 105 and got U2 -- "Sunday Bloody Sunday", what, are they doing an '80s weekend? Nope, it's followed by RHCPs, tick-tock they want to rock me like the '80s. Ugh.

Glad I'm home, streaming Magic 98 for a bit.

ETA: it's 81 degrees in Madison, WI at 5:40 pm on Oct 8th?  Ah, but there's no such thing as climate change.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:42:57 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 08, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »
In the car for Saturday errands, doin' the ol' BB&B/Trader Joe's 2-step. And I turn on Oldies 103.7 and get "Sweet Home Ala-bummer". I let out a blood-curdling "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" and hit The Bone... they're playing "Killer Queen". Yeesh. Then I hit Live 105 and got U2 -- "Sunday Bloody Sunday", what, are they doing an '80s weekend? Nope, it's followed by RHCPs, tick-tock they want to rock me like the '80s. Ugh.

Glad I'm home, streaming Magic 98 for a bit.

RHCP worst of the lot, IMO.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 09, 2011, 11:51:50 AM »
Driving home from SJ last nite, still too far away to pick up KPOO and I hit 98.1 Kiss -- they were doing "Saturday Night Disco" -- is this a new thing? how long have they been doing that?  It was every overplayed standard-issue disco hit you've heard a million times (BeeGees, Ohio Players, etc), at least in the 45 mins I listened. God forbid they should play a lost club hit or 3.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 09, 2011, 06:43:33 PM »
Driving home from SJ last nite, still too far away to pick up KPOO and I hit 98.1 Kiss -- they were doing "Saturday Night Disco" -- is this a new thing? how long have they been doing that?  It was every overplayed standard-issue disco hit you've heard a million times (BeeGees, Ohio Players, etc), at least in the 45 mins I listened. God forbid they should play a lost club hit or 3.

Christ, is everyone dumbing down their playlists for maximum recognition? DC and his lot are everywhere.
Let's get right to it.