Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456149 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #765 on: August 22, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »
Big heads-up for next Monday nite: Jim Rigsbee, KPOO's oldies guy, will be doing a all-Philles Records show, as in the Spector stuff. Ronettes, Crystals etc etc. he'll be playing most of the singles in chronological order.  Should be awesome.

Just a reminder that this show starts in 15 minutes. And I'm betting next week will be a Jerry Lieber-Nick Ashford tribute.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 22, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
Big heads-up for next Monday nite: Jim Rigsbee, KPOO's oldies guy, will be doing a all-Philles Records show, as in the Spector stuff. Ronettes, Crystals etc etc. he'll be playing most of the singles in chronological order.  Should be awesome.

Just a reminder that this show starts in 15 minutes. And I'm betting next week will be a Jerry Lieber-Nick Ashford tribute.

Listening!  Thanks for the reminder.  Workin' the beehive and eyelinah!   ;)

ETA: So good!  He's a Rebel, Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, etc.  Damn, is somebody recording this?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:51:37 PM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 22, 2011, 09:21:06 PM »
Big heads-up for next Monday nite: Jim Rigsbee, KPOO's oldies guy, will be doing a all-Philles Records show, as in the Spector stuff. Ronettes, Crystals etc etc. he'll be playing most of the singles in chronological order.  Should be awesome.

Listening!  Thanks for the reminder.  Workin' the beehive and eyelinah!   ;)

ETA: So good!  He's a Rebel, Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, etc.  Damn, is somebody recording this?

Sadly, their signal is too crappy to record off-the-air, tho' it's perfectly listenable. Bet "He Hit Me (And it Felt Like a Kiss)" shows up in that Al Pacino-as-Phil Spector HBO movie.

Wow, this version of "Chapel of Love" (Crystals? Blossoms?) is NTM.

ah, the oft-covered "And Then He/She Kissed Me". I even like the KISS version.

Ha! I was just about to comment that a lot of these sax solos show up again (almost verbatim) on the Spector Xmas LP -- and up pops Darlene Love's "Johnny (Baby Please Come Home)" which was indeed repurposed as "Christmas (Baby Please...)"

And here's the Crystals' "Little Boy", which Mink DeVille covered as "Little Girl".  This is truly one swoonworthy 45 after another. Here's the Philles Records discography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philles_Records#Singles_discography
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:53:12 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 23, 2011, 06:42:01 AM »

Listening!  Thanks for the reminder.  Workin' the beehive and eyelinah!   ;)

ETA: So good!  He's a Rebel, Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, etc.  Damn, is somebody recording this?

Sadly, their signal is too crappy to record off-the-air, tho' it's perfectly listenable. Bet "He Hit Me (And it Felt Like a Kiss)" shows up in that Al Pacino-as-Phil Spector HBO movie.

Wow, this version of "Chapel of Love" (Crystals? Blossoms?) is NTM.

ah, the oft-covered "And Then He/She Kissed Me". I even like the KISS version.

Ha! I was just about to comment that a lot of these sax solos show up again (almost verbatim) on the Spector Xmas LP -- and up pops Darlene Love's "Johnny (Baby Please Come Home)" which was indeed repurposed as "Christmas (Baby Please...)"

And here's the Crystals' "Little Boy", which Mink DeVille covered as "Little Girl".  This is truly one swoonworthy 45 after another. Here's the Philles Records discography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philles_Records#Singles_discography
Box set!!
http://www.amazon.com/Spector-Presents-Philles-Album-Collection/dp/tracks/B005BSCQPI/ref=dp_tracks_all_full#disc_1

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Jive 95 Vol 1
« Reply #769 on: August 27, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »
I'm not exactly sure when this will be available, but it's certainly right up my alley:

http://www.live-jive.org/LIVE_JIVE/SAMPLE_-_LIVE_JIVE_CD.html
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 27, 2011, 09:32:36 PM »
I joked the other day about "if you wanna hear 'Hey Jude', just turn on Oldies 103.7 and wait 10 minutes..."  Well, I got in the car yesterday afternoon, turned on the radio and ... you guessed it!

In other news,  92.7 The Rev has discovered "Pumped-Up Kicks", so now in addition to KFOG, I'm hearing it endlessly at the gym (along with "Rolling in the Goddamn Deep").

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 14, 2011, 12:15:16 PM »
Went to the burrito place down the street, and for years they've been playing the same mariachi cassette  over and over. But they splurged for a new boombox and as I walked in they were jammin' Expose, "Point of No Return"! HAAAAAAAY!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 14, 2011, 12:55:44 PM »
Went to the burrito place down the street, and for years they've been playing the same mariachi cassette  over and over. But they splurged for a new boombox and as I walked in they were jammin' Expose, "Point of No Return"! HAAAAAAAY!

((Haaaaaay!!!))   ;D

Man, the Latins sure still love them some Expose!  I listened to this many a time whilst Aqua Netting my skyhigh hairdo in la Mission.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:59:01 PM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 15, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
dunno how I missed this, but Madden (formerly of Live 105) is now the PD at The Bone  -- he's been there (and doing afternoons) since June!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 15, 2011, 09:49:04 PM »
dunno how I missed this, but Madden (formerly of Live 105) is now the PD at The Bone  -- he's been there (and doing afternoons) since June!

He was also PD at Channel for their last year (CC hired him to sell them out before fading off into obscurity.)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: September 15, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »
It's AAA sampler season again and the first release is out: KINK Live 14.  The tracklisting, sadly (but unsurprisingly) sucks:

http://www.kink.fm/pages/kl14

It was much better when DC was in charge, so hopefully that means KFOG's LFTA will rock this year for the first time in at least three years.  My guess is Amos Lee, Matt Nathanson, Head/Heart, Iron/Wine, Scars on 45, Foster the People and Fitz/Tantrums are going to be on at least half of this year's compilations.  Edward Sharpe, the Avett Bros, and that Sarah McLesbian song are already on too many previous compilations.  Love the Cockburn song but that's already made a few other appearances in the past.  The only thing worthwhile on that CD looks like Black Dub.  I might just pass this one by (which would end my streak of KINK Live's as I have 1-13).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 15, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »

He was also PD at Channel for their last year (CC hired him to sell them out before fading off into obscurity.)

Someone on radio-info was complaining that he was saying "Live 105" by mistake on the Bone -- multiple times. But I can't imagine he'd still be doing that 3 months after taking over as PD!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 15, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »

Someone on radio-info was complaining that he was saying "Live 105" by mistake on the Bone -- multiple times. But I can't imagine he'd still be doing that 3 months after taking over as PD!

That's odd.  I don't think he would either since more recently at Channel he never said it (as far as I know.)  I think people are just mad that he's been making it more Alt. leaning lately.  I do know when he first went over, there were a lot of complaints on their FB page, some calling it "Live 107.7".

Speaking of, Live 105 has improved drastically these past few weeks too.  They've added a lot more variety other than the same RedHotFooStoneTempleFighterPilotsAgainsttheNiranaMachine songs all day, started playing current (meaning not two year old like their previous definition of "current") & made their 90s weekends permanent.  They're also playing a lot of obscure-ish songs during their 90s weekends (i.e. Material Issue, Primitives, Dino Jr, School of Fish, etc) & even throwing in songs like "Holiday in Cambodia" during regular programming.  They must have gotten a swift kick in the @$$ from the new KFOG.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 16, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
Damn, Big Rick must hate KFOG with a passion:  It seems every other day he posts stuff on FB like "It's a Coldplay-free day on KFOX show".  Today it's an "Adele-free Friday".  Bitter, much?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: September 16, 2011, 04:54:43 PM »
Damn, Big Rick must hate KFOG with a passion:  It seems every other day he posts stuff on FB like "It's a Coldplay-free day on KFOX show".  Today it's an "Adele-free Friday".  Bitter, much?

Snarkiness is transferable, I guess. When he was on Live 105 he made fun of people who listened to dinosaur Classic Rock; now he's on a dinosaur Classic Rock station so he had to switch targets.  I mean, an "Adele-free Friday" sounds great to me but not if you're just replacing her with Skynyrd.